Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Im happy, but only that some people I know will FINALLY shut the hell up.

For everyone that wanted it, im happy for you, i personally will turn it off.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003

That's interesting. I was also thinking of an f-word, but it wasn't that one.

Let me be clear: I hate Flash. Hate it with a vengeance. Hate it with a passion. Hate it with a passionate vengeance. Hate it with a vengeful passion. I want to see it shuffle off this digital coil. I want it to die a fast, painless, non-interactive, non-multimedia death. I want its life to flash before its very eyes if only because I love how apropos that statement is. I want every last bit in its wretched code base to be sucked away into that special kind of digital oblivion that beckons technology that goes from being a simple and incremental improvement to being the favorite crutch of every developer who lacks the creativity and intellectual curiosity to explore ideas other than the most popular or the one that earns them the most points with their company's management. In other words, bring me the head of Adobe Flash. I want to drink wine from its skull at the party where we celebrate its demise.

So yeah, the first word through my head when I saw this news definitely wasn't "finally."

I was thinking how wonderful it would be if Apple managed to launch a major new platform for browsing the Web without that cruft called Flash, and lead the way where our browsers aren't bogged down with proprietary, non-compliant technology that gets in the way and causes more problems than it solves. I was thinking how great it would be if everyone in the tech world realized that success could be achieved without the annoyance of Flash. I was thinking we might be seeing the beginning of the end for this pile of crap technology and that we might just see it fade away.

Finally.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I want every last bit in its wretched code base to be sucked away into that special kind of digital oblivion that beckons technology that goes from being a simple and incremental improvement to being the favorite crutch of every developer who lacks the creativity and intellectual curiosity to explore ideas other than the most popular or the one that earns them the most points with their company's management.

Bravo! :)

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
+1 :D

Flash is the cancerous person you meet in a bar one night who continues to show up at your house for months afterwards despite not telling them where you live asking "Why don't you love me" -Thats why Im pro-choice :eek:

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
1) Allowing flash will allow developers to circumvent the apps store and offer many iPhone-targeted flash programs online. Losing App-store revenue (and making the App store less important) are not things Apple wants.

Please tell me you weren't being serious when you wrote that. Was that some kind of subtle, tongue-in-cheek comment that I just didn't get? And please tell me soon so that little part of me that is slowly dying--the part that can't believe our expectations have deteriorated to the point where people accept Flash as a viable and competitive development platform--might make a miraculous recovery.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Ummm... There is more to Flash than just crappy web games, and crappy Flash based sites...

Its the format on which most online video is delivered (although, by not having Flash on the iphone, Apple has been quickly changing that). This will mean that sites like Hulu.com (which allows you to watch movies and TVshows for free legally) will now be accessible from the iphone. It will mean that all Youtube videos will now be accessible to the iphone.

I am not fond of Flash, but its a distinct disadvantage for the iphone since it does not have it.

I realize that a lot of video is delivered though Flash. However it doesn't have to be. Most of the services should be moving things towards using h.264 on the back-end anyway. How hard would it be to check the browser agent and just serve the h.264 from a video service directly if its an iPhone or iPod touch instead of serving the same or lower quality file in a Flash container?

A low quality YouTube video takes up ~70% CPU on my MacBook, and a higher quality h.264 movie playing from iTunes only using ~25% CPU.

I used to work with Flash and Flex and do some AS programming, but Adobe is either too lazy or too stupid to actually get their **** together. Don't even get me started on the fact that Flash/Flex still doesn't recognize scrolling input on Mac yet either.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
... Obviously someone who knows nothing about what they are talking about.

Do you know what AS3 is? Do you know what Flex is? How about ECMA?

Lets challenge these yahoo's to back up what they say, rather than just spew crap they read on some morons RSS feed ...

Thats funny because I've done my fair share of programming AS3 and working in Flex. Frankly I don't care if it is based on ECMAscript 3 because at the end of the day that code is compiled into Adobe's own binary format and ran through their crap plugin that eats up CPU cycles like their is no tomorrow.

Adobe needs to prove they can make something of quality that doesn't eat up exorbitant amounts of CPU, doesn't crash my browser and actually responds to basic system input and then I might think about giving them a chance on the iPhone.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
"Adobe and Apple Working on Flash for iPhone"

Why don't Adobe and Apple work on Flash for Macintosh? I mean, can they work on releasing a version that actually works properly, without causing the fans on laptops to start spinning like crazy?

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

deadsouls said:
theres been tons of "apple and adobe are 'finally' working together for flash blah blah blah" stories for the past while and still nothing solid has come to fruition. so meh.

I hope something does eventually come out though. This is a pretty big area where the iPhone is lacking.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
hard to imagine Flash on the iPhone, Flash can bring a hefty PC system on its knees. Having 100% CPU to play a fricking game or a movie. Not to mention a Flash game site together with Flash advertising on the same page, its murder on my dual G5. Adobe needs to rewrite the RISC code completely and find a way to extract the Flash from a webpage to have a nice user experience.

They can use a button to show how many Flash movies (or advertisements) there are on a page, tapping that would let us scroll in the Flash movies and save for later use.

600 mhz iPhone/Touch is a bit slow, a somewhat bigger tablet iPod with a faster proc would do the job. :)

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
haven't got flash at the moment and i haven't missed it
i really don't see it as a big deal

the other thing, i'm not sure why people are SO obsessed about it either. surely there can't be that many flash videos you want to watch? and if it's because you think flash apps will be all-singing all-dancing, then you're mistaken. why do you think it's taken them so long and why they are now collaborating on making it? their capability on the iphone will be restricted probably beyond the restrictions that are on apps built with the SDK

fimac

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
Finland
Don't miss it. Don't need it. Don't want it.

As many have already noted Flash performance on OS X desktop is very poor -- IMHO Adobe needs to fix that first. Then, and only then, they might start winning 'hearts & minds'.

For me, though, it is about open standards as well as aesthetics. Long live open standards :)

mave1969

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Flash runs excellent on a Mac, how old is yours?
Flash does NOT run excellently on the Mac; I've got a Dual 2GHz G5 with 6Gb RAM it's a completely bloated friggin' resource hog! A couple of Flash ads on a page can easily send Safari soaring to 80%+ CPU usage. It's *****. I've never been so happy since I got ClickToFlash and killed all those irritating Flash ads. Flash is awful, and the development environment for Flash on the Mac is awful too.

To the person who talked about how "all video is viewed on Flash, although that's changing since the iPhone"... wellllllll... you just answered your own question. Why do you think Flash started supporting H.264? Because they can see Flash getting sidelined by a non-proprietary codec.

Personally, I hope Apple is just yanking Adobe's chain, and that they stick to all the great HTML5 things they are building support for into WebKit. Who wants a crappy opaque runtime like SWF, that needs crappy software like Flash to author it, when we could have the same result with Javascript and CSS that anyone can work on with a text editor???

Personally, my dream scenario is that Apple's Sproutcore project turns into a full-blown implementation of the Cocoa APIs in javascript, and then in Xcode you have another little platform target checkbox along with 'PPC' and 'Intel' that says 'Web'. Suddenly you have lightweight, powerful and cross platform application authoring, with Mac OS X the dev platform of choice, leaving overgrown has-beens like Adobe and Microsoft dangling in the wind...

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

This sounds very exciting if it is true.
Hopefully if the iPhone does get Flash- that it won't get hot or make Safari crash or anything along the lines of that.
But it's hopeful news for us iPhone users. :)

AnDi86

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Ballymoney N.Ireland
One more thing to destroy my battery life, although if this is destined for iphone 3.0 (or 2,1) then they may have made the battery hardware improvements learning from the Macbook Pro 17incher to dramatically improve the iPhone's battery life. In that case I say bring it on!

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Sites that use flash extensively for non video purposes suck. Whenever I see a flash based site I think "over produced".

That being said, with a flash plug-in I can play put-put golf game!

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Sheesh!!!! It's going to be an OPTION on the iPhone/touch. You don't have to use it, so why the &$@$ are all of you haters PMSing over this issue?

The Location Based services option on my touch eats my battery life up as well. But do you know what I do, I disable it!!!!! There's a thought!!!!!!!

When you guys get it into your head that something is "evil", you just won't shut up about it.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Woohoo! This is excellent news! Here's hoping there'll be some form of AIR runtime too, so ad-funded rental video is possible outside the unlicencable hell of Fairplay!

I realize that a lot of video is delivered though Flash. However it doesn't have to be. Most of the services should be moving things towards using h.264 on the back-end anyway. How hard would it be to check the browser agent and just serve the h.264 from a video service directly if its an iPhone or iPod touch instead of serving the same or lower quality file in a Flash container?

After the problems the BBC have had with doing this - i.e. people stealing the content left, right and centre, I think you can safely assume no other major broadcaster will ever do this. Flash 9 provides a reasonable level of content security.

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.