Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple closed a number of U.S. retail stores last week, and is closing another half dozen more this week for undisclosed renovations. All of the stores closing are street-level locations and the most likely reason is to retrofit the stores with Apple's new security grate system. Apple closed a number of other stores last fall for the same reason.

4thstreet.jpg

Security grating barely visible at Apple's 4th Street store in Berkeley, California
The stores are closed for between 7 to 10 days each, and locations closed this week include Los Gatos (CA), Coconut Point (FL), Leawood (KS), Friendly Center (NC), Manhasset (NY), and Bridgeport Village (OR).

Last week, Bethesda Row (MD), Village Pointe (NE), and Crocker Park (OH), and perhaps others were all closed, apparently for the same reason.

Article Link: Apple Temporarily Closing Some U.S. Stores for Security Grate Installations

SteveSwish

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Like a parking lot security grates where large steel spikes instantly shoot out of the floor when a security device is tripped, thus impaling the would-be thief through his feet up to his knee-caps and stopping the merchandise from leaving the store.

:D

Youre thinking of The Temple of Doom ;)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I don't see what the grate is intended to do. The original doors were glass. Did someone smash them in? If so, a person could smash the sides glass panes. Why not have a grate that runs the length of the entryway behind the glass frontage. Seems that might be less obtrusive, and create a sort of double protection.

I thought what this was about was a grate in the floor that would set off an alarm if anyone tried to shoplift.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I don't see what the grate is intended to do. The original doors were glass. Did someone smash them in? If so, a person could smash the sides glass panes. Why not have a grate that runs the length of the entryway behind the glass frontage. Seems that might be less obtrusive, and create a sort of double protection.

I thought what this was about was a grate in the floor that would set off an alarm if anyone tried to shoplift.

The grate does run the length of the store.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
7-10 days? What else are they doing? Hardening the store room? Probably.

I think they should transition to regional distribution hubs that are VERY secure and deliver goods to stores more frequently. Maybe they would say they already do this with Fedex, or whoever.

Rocketman

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Wow!!! How bold and brazen can you get? I hope they are apprehended and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
Wow!!! How bold and brazen can you get? I hope they are apprehended and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I wouldnt go that far ... I find it hilarious they had the balls to do this.

Guess apple didnt have an app for this ;) ... see what I did there :p

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
I wouldnt go that far ... I find it hilarious they had the balls to do this.

Guess apple didnt have an app for this ;) ... see what I did there :p

Sorry, but I find nothing humorous in the theft of property from a company or an individual. Would it still be hilarious if it were your home and the event was captured on your security cameras?

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
Sorry, but I find nothing humorous in the theft of property from a company or an individual. Would it still be hilarious if it were your home and the event was captured on your security cameras?

my home does not have a window the width of my house. If it did I would have way better security and I would not be showing off $50k plus in good for random thugs walking the street.

If I was dumb enough to do this, then yes, I would assume I would be getting robbed at some point in the future.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I thought they locked up all their display products after close

seems fairly easy with how tiny apple products are

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I thought they locked up all their display products after close

seems fairly easy with how tiny apple products are

They used to put them into a plain unsecured breadbox, thinking the thieves would ignore it since they weren't hungry. But the culprits have wised up to the hiding place, once again proving that "Security Through Obscurity" doesn't work. So some real measures must be taken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.