Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is testing the next-generation M3 Max chip, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The Apple silicon chip will be a replacement for the M2 Max, and it is set to be used in new MacBook Pro models next year.

m3-feature-black.jpg

Signs of the chip were found by a third-party Mac developer in test logs, and it appears to feature a 40-core GPU and a 16-core CPU with 12 high performance cores and four efficiency cores. Comparatively, the current M2 Max chip features a 12-core CPU and a 38-core GPU. The test machine also includes 48GB memory, but there will likely be higher upgrade options available as the current MacBook Pro supports up to 96GB memory.

Apple's M3 Max chip is expected to be built on a new 3-nanometer process, resulting in speed and efficiency improvements compared to the M2 Max chip. Apple is testing the chip in an unreleased high-end MacBook Pro that's codenamed "J514."

The M3 Max will be the higher-end chip in a trio that also includes the M3 and the M3 Pro. The M3 chip will include an 8-core CPU and up to a 10-core GPU, while the M3 Pro will feature a 12-core CPU and 18-core GPU.

Apple is expected to release the first M3 Macs in October, but will likely focus on machines that use the standard M3 chip, such as the 13-inch MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air models. 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models that include the M3 Max chip are expected to come out in 2024.

Article Link: Apple Testing M3 Max Chip With 16-Core CPU and 40-Core GPU

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I think the base M3 is going to have 12GB of RAM.
Yeah, I’ve thought about it as well. There are many clues pointing at it. This benchmarks, the 24GB configuration of current M2 macs, the fact that in a month we’ll have an iPhone with the same RAM memory as the current base RAM on M2 SoCs… the list goes on and on, and honestly, I think it is about time to increase the base RAM configuration.

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020

M3 Max chip appears to feature a 40-core GPU and a 16-core CPU
M2 Max chip features a 12-core CPU and a 38-core GPU
M3 chip will include an 8-core CPU and up to a 10-core GPU
M3 Pro will feature a 12-core CPU and 18-core GPU
Notice any inconsistencies? Why did you list the GPU cores first for ONLY the M3 Max, but followed convention and listed CPU then GPU for all the other chips? c'mon.

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
I wonder if they can iterate fast enough so that the M5 or M6 Ultra can support >1TB of RAM, which would mostly obviate the need for a special extra-large chip that would be exclusive to the Mac Pro.

It would be nice if they just made standalone GPU cards as well, but that's even more of a niche product.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009

Apple is testing the next-generation M3 Max chip, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The Apple silicon chip will be a replacement for the M2 Max, and it is set to be used in new MacBook Pro models next year.

m3-feature-black.jpg

Signs of the chip were found by a third-party Mac developer in test logs, and it appears to feature a 40-core GPU and a 16-core CPU with 12 high performance cores and four efficiency cores. Comparatively, the current M2 Max chip features a 12-core CPU and a 38-core GPU. The test machine also includes 48GB memory, but there will likely be higher upgrade options available as the current MacBook Pro supports up to 96GB memory.

Apple's M3 Max chip is expected to be built on a new 3-nanometer process, resulting in speed and efficiency improvements compared to the M2 Max chip. Apple is testing the chip in an unreleased high-end MacBook Pro that's codenamed "J514."

The M3 Max will be the higher-end chip in a trio that also includes the M3 and the M3 Pro. The M3 chip will include an 8-core CPU and up to a 10-core GPU, while the M3 Pro will feature a 12-core CPU and 18-core GPU.

Apple is expected to release the first M3 Macs in October, but will likely focus on machines that use the standard M3 chip, such as the 13-inch MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air models. 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models that include the M3 Max chip are expected to come out in 2024.

Article Link: Apple Testing M3 Max Chip With 16-Core CPU and 40-Core GPU
I love the idea of new apple silicon. But I fear their longevity will be spotty at best.
We still have Apple G5 machines kicking to this day.
But with the heavy memory and storage integration I doubt we will have these apple silicon machines around after 6-7 years. A simple bad capacitor on these new boards completely wipe the devices. Requiring new motherboard. The storage usage is eating through the drives and when a single ram chip or ssd chip dies all of your data is gone. Yes iCloud and backups are helpful. But not a full proof plan.
It would be a step backwards to go back to the old way of building these systems. But there has to be a way to make the memory and onboard storage replaceable.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah because PC to Mac switchers aren't a thing. Oh wait...
The rate at which people switch from pc to apple has steadily declined. With pc manufactures making compelling alternatives at much more affordable pricing and replaceability. All without pricy warranties. Apple makes top tier products. But they are far from the only one doing that.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I think the only space Apple is interested in competing for the moment is in performance per watt. The fact that they cancelled the n*M2 Ultra and are not using the thermal capacity of the MacPro to offer a 96 core + 304 GPU core behemoth is proof enough of that. I hope that changes though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.