Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
All those sweet YouTubers are salivating at the 2% performance increase for their benchmarks and zero real world performance.
Just like the old days, then.
"The new systems now have ATA/133 connections rather than the old ATA/100 which will have zero impact on anything you do an enormous impact on moving data to and from your hard drive, making your life so much easier."

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
m3-feature-black.jpg

Apple is expected to release the first M3 Macs in October, but will likely focus on machines that use the standard M3 chip, such as the 13-inch MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air models.

Sounds good, a new MBA M3 arrives to me in October ♥️
Just as hoped and planned.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
If apple is thinking that they can improve sales by increasing CPU/GPU performance then they are wrong.
99% of the people don't need any more CPU/GPU power than what M1 MacBook Air offers.
I guess it depends on each individual's definition of need, because 99% of the people don't need any more car than a 1972 Chevy Vega, yet they kept buying new cars for the last 50 years. Did they really need safer, faster, stronger?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I love the idea of new apple silicon. But I fear their longevity will be spotty at best.
We still have Apple G5 machines kicking to this day.
But with the heavy memory and storage integration I doubt we will have these apple silicon machines around after 6-7 years. A simple bad capacitor on these new boards completely wipe the devices. Requiring new motherboard. The storage usage is eating through the drives and when a single ram chip or ssd chip dies all of your data is gone. Yes iCloud and backups are helpful. But not a full proof plan.
It would be a step backwards to go back to the old way of building these systems. But there has to be a way to make the memory and onboard storage replaceable.
The LPDDR5 that Apple uses doesn’t come on sticks regardless, for anyone. Apple isn’t going to use M.2 ever, they would only ever use a proprietary connector, and never would use slotted storage on their laptops because that would interfere with their industrial design for no benefit to them. Neither thing is going to happen unless mandated by the government and I don’t see that happening.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012

Apple is testing the next-generation M3 Max chip, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The Apple silicon chip will be a replacement for the M2 Max, and it is set to be used in new MacBook Pro models next year.

m3-feature-black.jpg

Signs of the chip were found by a third-party Mac developer in test logs, and it appears to feature a 40-core GPU and a 16-core CPU with 12 high performance cores and four efficiency cores. Comparatively, the current M2 Max chip features a 12-core CPU and a 38-core GPU. The test machine also includes 48GB memory, but there will likely be higher upgrade options available as the current MacBook Pro supports up to 96GB memory.

Apple's M3 Max chip is expected to be built on a new 3-nanometer process, resulting in speed and efficiency improvements compared to the M2 Max chip. Apple is testing the chip in an unreleased high-end MacBook Pro that's codenamed "J514."

The M3 Max will be the higher-end chip in a trio that also includes the M3 and the M3 Pro. The M3 chip will include an 8-core CPU and up to a 10-core GPU, while the M3 Pro will feature a 12-core CPU and 18-core GPU.

Apple is expected to release the first M3 Macs in October, but will likely focus on machines that use the standard M3 chip, such as the 13-inch MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air models. 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models that include the M3 Max chip are expected to come out in 2024.

Article Link: Apple Testing M3 Max Chip With 16-Core CPU and 40-Core GPU
48 GB - 768 bit bus, and 12 4 GB chips.

This is completely base model, then. M3 Max should top out with 48 core GPU.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
most ppl chasing performance on the pc side are gamers, even with m3 max i doubt apple can topple a 4080 let alone 4090.
Why is that even a useful comparison? The 4080 and 4090 aren’t even within most people’s budget and are far from the most popular GPUs currently in use for gaming. Every time this comparison is made I roll my eyes because Apple doesn’t have to equal that performance to get people to buy their products. Not every gamer or designer or engineer can afford to plop down $1200-$1700 for a top tier GPU. It’s just more people expressing their desire for wish fulfillment instead of actually living in the real world. It’s almost the same as people on these forums who think Apple should be selling the MacPro for less than $2K because they “did the math”.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Why is that even a useful comparison? The 4080 and 4090 aren’t even within most people’s budget and are far from the most popular GPUs currently in use for gaming. Every time this comparison is made I roll my eyes because Apple doesn’t have to equal that performance to get people to buy their products. Not every gamer or designer or engineer can afford to plop down $1200-$1700 for a top tier GPU. It’s just more people expressing their desire for wish fulfillment instead of actually living in the real world. It’s almost the same as people on these forums who think Apple should be selling the MacPro for less than $2K because they “did the math”.
its being compared cause the price apple charge for mac studio and mac pro.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
gamer here

gamer chase compatibility over performance. compatibility is something that mac has been lacking so people choose pc. compatibility has been lacking since Macs have been notoriously bad at gaming performance. this however is changing with graphics performance and apple's commitment to games (game porting toolkit). this is solved over time.

i'm happy with my 3070ti. market for 4080/4090 is probably smaller than the more mainstream cards.
lol?

i been involved in pc gaming for over 20 years and i have never heard anyone mention compatibility over performance 😂

there are actually quite a few AAA titles on mac, but because the performance is so so compared what you can get on the pc side, one would have to be quite stubborn for odd reasons that i can't fathom to choose the former.

Agent007

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
United States
IMO some creativity apps and number crunching are all the Pro Macs are good for and as for the latter, the new ones don’t even have ram with ECC. There’s never going to be a day when it makes sense to buy one for gaming or for future upgrading - time and time again Apple finds a way to show its true, proprietary hdwr-loving self.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
Windows had 72% marketshare in 2019. Dropped to 52% in May 2023.

Mac 18.72% in 2019, 33% in May 2023.

Pretty sure that's a nice dent.

In the recent earnings call the company disclosed that half the Mac sales came from new users. If macOS market share trend continues it could cross 50% in the US before the end of this decade. At that point it would be interesting to see how long x86 developers can continue to ignore the macOS market. Looking at you Autodesk Revit.

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
lol?

i been involved in pc gaming for over 20 years and i have never heard anyone mention compatibility over performance 😂

lol?

i've been gaming since 1990 and I have heard thousands of forum posts sticking with PC because there are more games available than mac not because of the awesome graphics performance.

i don't think you understood what i said. either that or it's one of the worst takes i've read on these forums.

Rychiar

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I love the idea of new apple silicon. But I fear their longevity will be spotty at best.
We still have Apple G5 machines kicking to this day.
But with the heavy memory and storage integration I doubt we will have these apple silicon machines around after 6-7 years. A simple bad capacitor on these new boards completely wipe the devices. Requiring new motherboard. The storage usage is eating through the drives and when a single ram chip or ssd chip dies all of your data is gone. Yes iCloud and backups are helpful. But not a full proof plan.
It would be a step backwards to go back to the old way of building these systems. But there has to be a way to make the memory and onboard storage replaceable.
computers just are disposable these days.. but their usefullness goes farther. I can't imagine your G5s are good for anything in 2023. I help onto my G4 for 10 years but it was sluggish as hell by year 5. I'm sure these new Macs will still be snappy in 5 years at least. I'm currently on a 2017 intel iMac and I've never replace the ram or hard drives in 6 years. still works fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.