Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonaldE

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
Well, it's sad to hear that Donald. At its best, the Mac experience is better than the Windows experience (IMO) - with more cohesive and usable system software, better device support and a much more integrated ecosystem. I also think the easy licensing of Apple store apps (usable across multiple computers) and their low cost is now a serious advantage compared to Windows.

The bad thing about the Mac platform is reliance on a single vendor, and that vendor's concentration on pretty designs over functionality. When Apple chooses not to build a machine in the category you want (headless desktop), waits years before updating other machines (top end desktop) or takes a decision you don't like (shiny screen iMacs, faulty WiFi MBAs) you're pretty much left without any alternate choice. For me, this is the main thing that sucks about the Mac experience.

I agree - I was looking forward to the experience.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Really? They didn't on the 2012 model. I bought it more than 6 months in, and people were still having problems.

You mean wifi issues still?

They didn't really 'fix' the iPhone 4 either.

There is nothing wrong with the iPhone 4. I had one for 2 years and never had a problem except the home button not working. If you had a problem you should have exchanged it. Apple is really good about this.

Maps aren't yet 'fixed'.

Now you're just finding reasons to complain. You have google maps. Who cares if Apple never touches their maps app ever again.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonaldE

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
Sorry to those who are experiencing problems. My MBA is solid so far.

Which is why I am reluctant to want to return it. If I thought it might be an issue specific to the one I bought, I would exchange it. It is hard to tell from this thread, and Apple is not saying anything yet. I hate for this to be my only venture into the world of Apple, and give up already.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
OK, do you at least understand why probably no one here understood what you were talking about in your first post?
Woulld have it been that hard to write a complete thought the first time around?

Of course it would have... I was half asleep when I wrote it. I was so surprised in the morning that the guy asking me why I wrote it got so many up-votes.:D

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Of course it would have... I was half asleep when I wrote it. I was so surprised in the morning that the guy asking me why I wrote it got so many up-votes.:D

Protip: use caution when posting half-asleep. Consider not posting at all. If posting, have something cogent to say.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm sorry, are you seriously suggesting not using WiFi, a major function in today's computing needs, and using a cable for a direct connection on a ~$1500+ iMac (which requires a USB - Ethernet adapter for the MacBook Air)? Let's just move all our systems next to our routers and connect them directly, cause "it just works". I thought I had seen it all on here.

Even when WiFi works, Cu works better. ;)

aplnub

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
I have a new 11" mid-2013 MBA and I experienced this problem yesterday for the first time. Admittedly, I was only down to 65% battery on the first charge. I have only had it for three days now. My computer went on lock down mode if the app required internet access at all. After a restart everything has been fine. I am guessing that this is related to the powernap feature in some way. It's a guess but my suspicions nonetheless.

whytheworldis

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Third the above.

1) Is the "fix" released yet? (to anybody)
2) Did this fix work
3) Is there any sort of ETA for when this fix will be released to the public

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Even when WiFi works, Cu works better. ;)

While I have used Apple hardware in tandem with custom built systems for 10+ years, I'm inching closer to moving towards building a custom workstation that can run the OS's I need.

The new Mac Pro, while a fascinating feat in its own, doesn't fulfill my needs. I'm tempted in gutting out my current gen Mac Pro and retrofitting system components. I'm betting the new Pro will be far more expensive with the Fire Pro GPU, SSD's, Xeon processor, etc. in a compact shell. With no internal storage for any of my 4 SATA HDD's, a 256 GB SATA III SSD (which I hoped to use in a future SATA III capable Pro), and internal LG Blu-Ray Lightscribe burner, I'd have to invest $1k+ in Thunderbolt chassises in addition to the system even with my discount. I don't know what I can get for my 6-Core 16GB RAM ATI 5780 Mac Pro5,1, which is about to lose its AppleCare in Sept. The cost difference used to be minimal, I have the sense unless the desire for the current form factor is high based on some preferring it to the new, the price diff in an eBay sale and a new model will be significant.

I don't have much faith in Apple quality any more. The PowerMac's were solid systems at a reasonable cost, so were the PowerBook's. Now, it's just a hot mess.

Cjm1

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
I gotta say, without breaking my NDA - much, 10.9 has remedied any WiFi issues that plagued my current generation Mac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini and 2011 iMac. I'm surprised Apple doesn't utilize whatever resolved software developed in 10.8 updates, the infrastructure is set and if it is in testing stages could easily be implemented.

It seems this is more in relation to the ac protocol as well, of which I use through a new Extreme and MacBook Air. No issues on my end, however that means nothing if it is widely spread. I have noticed the new Extreme router improved my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks over N tremendously. Hmmm.

Same with IOS 7. Cant descirbe how good the battery life is on my iPhone 5 now that i downloaded the Beta. No way am i downgrading to IOS 6 until the golden master of IOS 7 comes out. Have to put 6 along with IOS 4 as my least favourite IOS's

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I agree - I was looking forward to the experience.

Overall I'd say it's a positive experience. For whatever reason, though, Apple has had persistent issues with wifi. It could be their form over function design philosophy. Or maybe it's just because they adopt specs early. In any case they usually get it right in the end. However it is usually a good idea to wait until the first big fix release with any product, Mac included.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I've been noticing lately on 10.8.3 ~ 10.8.4 intermittent wi-fi connection loss.

I keep Wi-Fi diagnostics open throughout the day and sometimes its terrible where it will lose connection every couple minutes and some will last hours and hours.

testing on a few Macs, no macbook airs though. possibly software glitch?

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Apple engineers are overworked and underpaid. Soon all the brilliant minds flock to Google, the last Apple wanted.

Romf

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2011
Paris, France
You mean wifi issues still?

I have a 2011 MBA, still sometimes it happens that when I open it and get it out of sleep it doesn't reconnect to wifi.
Quick look at Apple forums shows that am not the only one.
All my software is up to date and I made clean install from the various OS updates. I remember there were one or maybe 2 software update for this problem, although it made things much better the problem never disappeared... Now I live with it as it's not often happening but well, can't say they fixed it

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
They make being a Crash Test dummy sound good :)
How is bug testing innovation? lol

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Really? They didn't on the 2012 model. I bought it more than 6 months in, and people were still having problems.

They didn't really 'fix' the iPhone 4 either.

Maps aren't yet 'fixed'.

I don't know what was ever wrong with the iPhone 4 (mine always worked fine), but they did fix Maps. I used to use Google Maps just in case but stopped doing that because I trust it at this point.

The thing they never fixed is the DVD drive. They got rid of it as the fix. Mac DVD drives have always sucked, especially the slot-loading iMac ones. My iMac had a disc stuck in it for 2 years, not that I needed the drive.

----------

Still no one with new air who tested this voluntary seed???

I forget who, but someone above said that it works.

----------

People use their home networks for more than just their internet connection these days... He doesn't have to be Korean.

Only if he's using Time Machine over the network or sending a lot of stuff over AFP.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I don't know what was ever wrong with the iPhone 4 (mine always worked fine), but they did fix Maps. I used to use Google Maps just in case but stopped doing that because I trust it at this point.

The thing they never fixed is the DVD drive. They got rid of it as the fix. Mac DVD drives have always sucked, especially the slot-loading iMac ones. My iMac had a disc stuck in it for 2 years, not that I needed the drive.

----------

I forget who, but someone above said that it works.

----------

Only if he's using Time Machine over the network or sending a lot of stuff over AFP.

I still need to take my iMac in for a stuck cd lol

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Uh.....

too much in the pipeline and have to invite people to test Software updates?....
Lets hope this issue can be resolved presto....And Mavericks be a stable release (meaning good support of present and near future technologies and the most bug free possible....:D....)

:):apple:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Just for my MBA today :).. and SSD is 'pegging' the BlackMagic Speedtest in both read and write.

As i thought, i have not had any wireless troubles here, and its been going strong for the past 5 hours now..

So, either you are all crackpots, or maybe i haven't left mine on long enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.