Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

While Apple leads the list of Businessweek's Top Corporate Performers, the magazine points out that Apple was not in such great shape only a few years ago, and gives some interesting perspective as Apple looks towards the future.

"Oh, the company was going bankrupt, all right," recalls ex-board member Edgar S. Woolard Jr. But in mid-1997, Woolard called Steven P. Jobs and asked him to retake the helm of the company Jobs had co-founded in 1976. In short order, Jobs tightened up operations, re-energized Apple's talented troops, and in 2001 oversaw the debut of a magical little device called the iPod.

While many feel Apple's focus has shifted towards the iPod, analysts claim the Mac will continue to be a very important piece in the coming years. While the iPod is a large portion of Apple's sales, they point out the PC business remains a larger target, and if Apple can achieve gains in marketshare in that arena, they could grow considerably over the next few years.

Again, the usual possibilities are trotted out -- some more likely that others. The potential to run Windows along-side Mac OS X continues to be cited as a huge incentive for many reluctant switches to make the leap to the Mac. Meanwhile, the often mentioned possibility of Apple finally licensing Mac OS X to other PC manufacturers is again raised. And the articles reports that "Multiple PC makers have expressed an interest [in licensing Mac OS X for PCs]. It's not just Dell."

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
If the case of delaying the Merom based on Vista's delay is true then my following point is moot--IF Apple releases 10.5 with new Merom-based MBP by Nov-Dec '06, Apple will have the potential to take a huge bite out of the laptop market as Vista will be delayed until '07 (and the Merom laptops that can support it.)

B

Comment

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Greedy

Why the hell do they need to keep growing? They are making healthy profits ($250 million last time i saw), so why not just make quality and innovative hardware and software and stick with your market share? Is it because the board members are a bunch of greedy bastards? Probably.

Comment

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Wow...I would really love to purchase some apple stock..but Im not sure if this is the best time to do it. Yes I know the best time would have been a couple years back. I really hope that mac osx stays with mac hardware only.

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
slffl said:
Why the hell do they need to keep growing? They are making healthy profits ($250 million last time i saw), so why not just make quality and innovative hardware and software and stick with your market share? Is it because the board members are a bunch of greedy bastards? Probably.

I for one would ove to see Mac OS X's market share rise to about 20%.

First of all more punch again M$ monopoly is a good thing :p
Second, a lot more Mac-techs could get jobs ;)
Third: More Macs mean more happy people. The world would simply be a better place. :cool:

Comment

nimbus

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2004
The reason why iPods have taken over the MP3 player market is because it's on Macs AND PCs.

If Mac OS X was on PC, it'd be huge. Though that lessens the reason to get an Apple laptop or desktop. That's the reason I think it's not on PC also.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Comment

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
slffl said:
In short, because Apple is a corporation.

My personal feelings on licensing OS X to run-of-the-mill PC makers are mixed - however, if it will make Apple more money in the long-term to license it, I'll bet that they do.

Besides, Apple could take a lesson from M$, which takes a loss on every XBox 360 they sell to expand its market share. If revenue streams from iPods and a licensed version of OS X are strong enough, they can sell their hardware at a loss and still make money - which means that they could undercut PC makers in price for genuine Apple hardware. It wouldn't be the first time this kind of arrangement was made by a corporation...

Comment

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
One of the oldest arguements out there.....market share....Loyalty....innovation...Windows...

It's a company first, and they'll do what needs to be done to grow, call it greed, call it common sense.

The only thing I wish, is that they could get the word out about how fantastic OSX is....we know the iPod and iTunes is great....how about some creative ads telling the windows world what they're missing out on.

Apple is gonna need to step it up if they want to go forward. Intel is not exciting to 90% of people. iPods will, or have reached their peak ect..

We'll see.

Comment

dmcgann

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2006
ireland
i think it could be a good idea to give those poor pc people a demo of ilife!! that way they could get a taste of mac and realise that the future is mac!! apple would gain huge marketshare and have more money for further research!!:D

Comment

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
dmcgann said:
i think it could be a good idea to give those poor pc people a demo of ilife!! that way they could get a taste of mac and realise that the future is mac!! apple would gain huge marketshare and have more money for further research!!:D
Ditto... they need to promote OS X as the do the iPod with billboards and commericals.

Comment

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Won't Max OS X popularity invite more potential hackers and possible viruses?

Comment

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Besides, Apple could take a lesson from M$, which takes a loss on every XBox 360 they sell

Apple has learned that lesson - the ITMS is not a revenue generator directly, but it sure helps sell those iPods.
OS X on generic PCs is a bad idea and will eat into hardware sales, re the clone wars of the mid-90s. The other side of the coin, however, running Windows native on Macs WILL sell more boxes. Apple's hardware is no longer appreciably more expensive than PC counterparts, but the quality is head-and-shoulders above the rest. Either current solution will suffice as I see it, running a dual boot with either OS X or XP, or the more elegant option of virtual machines running at or near native.

It's a good day to be among the Mac Faithful...

Z

Comment

biggerbearbrian

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
If they did liscence it out, while I am aware it is the PC/peripherals makers responsibility to create drivers etc, and it didn't work well - wouldn't that make the OS look bad in the end? Apple's tight integration with a superior operating system is what caused me to turn back to MAC after a decade in the PC camp. I think if I had been still biased towards M$/PC and saw MAC OS running badly on a PC, I would have thought the system a bunch of hype and stuck with Windows.

Just a thought.

Comment

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
zac4mac said:
Apple has learned that lesson - the ITMS is not a revenue generator directly, but it sure helps sell those iPods.
OS X on generic PCs is a bad idea and will eat into hardware sales, re the clone wars of the mid-90s. The other side of the coin, however, running Windows native on Macs WILL sell more boxes. Apple's hardware is no longer appreciably more expensive than PC counterparts, but the quality is head-and-shoulders above the rest. Either current solution will suffice as I see it, running a dual boot with either OS X or XP, or the more elegant option of virtual machines running at or near native.

It's a good day to be among the Mac Faithful...

Z
I agree with you 100%.

I think Apple is just testing the Water with Tiger running on the Intel Mac's. (Hence the abscence of commericals)

If Leopard really does run Windows Applications natively Apple will gain marketshare. I don't know if that's enough for the it's Shareholders. I hope that Apple starts advertising it's OS a little bit more aggressive in 2007-2008.

Comment

SpankWare

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
quigleybc said:
The only thing I wish, is that they could get the word out about how fantastic OSX is....we know the iPod and iTunes is great....how about some creative ads telling the windows world what they're missing out on.

What I would like to know is this: What does OS X offer over Windows to the common user? I know why I like OS X but many here seem to think it's the end all be all. So why should the average computer user want to switch to OS X?

Comment

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
SpankWare said:
What I would like to know is this: What does OS X offer over Windows to the common user? I know why I like OS X but many here seem to think it's the end all be all. So why should the average computer user want to switch to OS X?
Well, I like to think that there's a better GUI, bundled software (iLife) that costs a lot of money for similar features on a Windows machine, greater kernel stability (because of FreeBSD) - which means *very, very* infrequent OS crashes, better protected RAM management, and better defenses against viruses, spyware and other malware.

Of course, some of these points are lost on the everyday user, and as we're finding out, OS X isn't absolutely impervious to viruses and other malware. But I think there's a strongly accessible case to be made around fewer crashes and the iLife suite of applications.

And then there are the folks who simply don't like OS X, and would never consider switching: Windows is familiar and sufficient enough for their needs.

Comment

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
SpankWare said:
Productivity in an integrated environment. Plan and simple.

Comment

biggerbearbrian

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
SpankWare said:

Most "average users" I have dealt with love the OS X. It is fun and easy to use (granted it is far more secure and powerful, but most average users don't care). It boots up, you do what you want to do, it has "wow" factor, its sexy...

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
My Views:

- The new Macs will usher in a new wave of Switchers.
- I predict that Apple will gain significant market share on a percentage basis in 2006 whereas Microsoft will see a slight decline
- Consumers will increasingly give Macs consideration when they make thier next computer purchase. Consumers can have a system that runs OS X and Windows.

Comment

SpankWare

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
FoxyKaye said:
Well, I like to think that there's a better GUI, bundled software (iLife) that costs a lot of money for similar features on a Windows machine, greater kernel stability (because of FreeBSD) - which means *very, very* infrequent OS crashes, better protected RAM management, and better defenses against viruses, spyware and other malware.

Of course, some of these points are lost on the everyday user, and as we're finding out, OS X isn't absolutely impervious to viruses and other malware. But I think there's a strongly accessible case to be made around fewer crashes and the iLife suite of applications.

And then there are the folks who simply don't like OS X, and would never consider switching: Windows is familiar and sufficient enough for their needs.

Fair enough. Aren't you making the assumption that iLife would be included? I can't see Apple including iLife in OS X but rather selling it seperately. Sure you might get it with a new Mac but what if you're a PC user switching Operating Systems? Isn't that going to be a seperate cost?

One can't argue viruses because "if you build it they will come." The only reason Macs are not riddled with viruses now is because there's not much of a point. Going forward that could easily change. As for the more stable system I think you'll find that the FUD here about Windows crashes is just that, FUD. Millions of people run Windows products every day without a single crash.

If we're going to say let's push the virtues of OS X then we need to have real reasons why it's better or at least worth switching to. The reasons have to be real and can't be FUD.

Comment

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
This "licensing-the-OSX-to-other-manufacturers" reminds me of the time of the Mac clones, when the headquarters (was it Gil Amelio ?) allowed some independent manufacturers to build and sell Motorola-based units, along with the Macintosh "System" (read: OS). This had been an answer to the long running complaint of "we like the System, but the machines are too expensive". (I think 10 years ago, the Apple machines were less reachable money-wise, or is my perception wrong ?)

A couple of companies jumped aboard the train (Texas Computing etc.), and the business was expanding - for them.

Then Apple pulled all contracts out. They certainly feared being running out of money, all the benefits going to the cheaper manufacturers ? Needless to say, the manufacturers had a hard time afterwards.

My point: licensing OS X to other manufacturers might be a mistake, it certainly has been in the past. Now, what will they decide ?

Comment

SpankWare

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
crees! said:
Productivity in an integrated environment. Plan and simple.

How does a Windows user not get that today? Just how does OS X trump Windows in this area?

Comment

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
slffl said:
Ummm, isn't that the idea of business, to keep GROWING. Who in their right mind would say "we have enough business so lets slow down now?"

Keep on moving Apple, innovate, adapt, and grow!

Comment

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
slffl said:

Apple is a publicly-traded corporation that is owned by its stockholders (typically pension funds, university endowments and other such institutions) as an investment in the form of stock shares. The Apple management team is pledged to maximize the value of this stock on behalf of its investors. Stocks are valued based on future projections of earnings (profits) growth.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.