Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
It's an issue that falls into all three categories (politics, religion and society) I'd say. Some might say it shouldn't, but therein lies the potential for heated arguments!
Problem is in todays world you can post a beautiful photo of a dandelion and within minutes it will be put down
in a variety of ways.
Obviously donating organs is a good thing and one might add blood donations.
(Apple, integrate that in maps with locations etc.)

I have "DONOR" on my drivers license ever since I have a US license.

I guess its an individual feeling about what happens to ones body after the lights go out.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
And before anyone comes up with the "Steve Jobs would not have allowed this!", please remember this image:

south-park-human-centipad.jpg

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Good guy, Apple. Although they need to abandon the law which says family members can nullify organ donation registries for dead loved ones. If that was the wish of the dead, and they were signed up, nothing should be able to contest that. Too may organ donations are denied by family members.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I would donate, but just the idea that they might mutilate the eyes even though I would be dead, just sounds disturbing.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Organ donation is big business in this country. A friend of mine works at a funeral home, and they have stories to tell...

I'm not saying that it's not noble or in the end beneficial for society to donate, it's just that it can be very impersonal, and result in waiting for services, and much more needed by the funeral home to prep the body for viewing.

I intend on leaving my body well worn out, and someone would have to do the blue light special to want anything of mine. ;) But as pet food, or robot grease, go for it...

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Correct me if I have misunderstood.
So, the user can sign up on the phone, but who is there to unlock the phone when said user passed away?
Who is there to give the final authorization?

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
They can add a bidding option. Let the proceeds go to your beneficiaries or charity of choice.:rolleyes:

Hah, or pay for burial costs. I kind of like it in a grim way - but then it wouldn't be a donation, would it.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Same. I hope similar option is developed/introduced for EU as well.
For Germany it should be even easier, there is no registry here afaik.
You carry a card with you that details your choice or who is allowed to call the shots if you're dead.
You sign that card and that's that.

Also, donating is all opt-in here.

Other countries handle this differently, within the EU too iirc.
(hence, even if you don't wish to donate, relying on the fact that it's opt-in in Germany may catch you by surprise if you travel abroad and don't manifest your choice)

Glassed Silver:ios

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Same here in Singapore. Auto-opt in. You could opt out if you wanted to, but honestly, I see no reason to. What use have I for my organs when I am dead?

I agree. I'll be dead. Salvage every piece of me that you can, and throw the rest in the ground. Thankfully my family knows and agrees with this.

I don't understand opposition to organ donation. Better yet, I think organ donation should be auto opt-in, and anyone who has opted out is no longer eligible to receive an organ donation if they need it.

Reactions: biziclop

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I would donate, but just the idea that they might mutilate the eyes even though I would be dead, just sounds disturbing.

Can’t you exclude certain organs in your country? Where I live, I can decide which organs I want to donate. Eyes can be excluded.

There's absolutely nothing that someone could find to complain about with this program, but I definitely look forward to the attempts.

Suppose Apple screws up and your choice is not recorded or wrongly recorded. Suppose the data is leaked or intercepted (I’m sure that there are plenty of people out there who would be very interested in that data). More parties involved means more complexity, means more potential for errors. Health-related data should be treated with utmost care and confidentiality and there is really no reason why Apple should take this responsibility upon themselves. I would never ever want to rely on a company to do this form me.

darkknight14

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2011
So, the user can sign up on the phone, but who is there to unlock the phone when said user passed away?

The information you provide is sent directly to 'National Donate Life Registry managed by Donate Life America' so I believe paramedics will not need to access the users device but rather just look up on a registry.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Can’t you exclude certain organs in your country? Where I live, I can decide which organs I want to donate. Eyes can be excluded.

Suppose Apple screws up and your choice is not recorded or wrongly recorded. Suppose the data is leaked or intercepted (I’m sure that there are plenty of people out there who would be very interested in that data). More parties involved means more complexity, means more potential for errors. Health-related data should be treated with utmost care and confidentiality and there is really no reason why Apple should take this responsibility upon themselves. I would never ever want to rely on a company to do this form me.

Apple's passing the opt-in to the government database. This is no different than Motor Voter or opting into organ donation at the DMV.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Its in the Medical Card from the lockscreen. When you press home (in iOS 10), you hit home again (using your thumbnail) it will show the passcode screen. Bottom left is the emergency button and then Medical ID button.

Last edited:
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sounds like a good idea. Personally I'd be happier if it became an opt out service, where you are only not a donner if you have declined the option.
Here in the UK, you still have to get the next of kin's permission even if you carry a card.
Fortunately my wife and I both know each other's wishes on this.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I think Apple could improve on this by making it interactive.

"How I got catfished out of my kidney." The major complaint, of course, not being that the person lost the kidney - but that the girl wasn't even a girl, much less HOT ENOUGH for a freakin' kidney donation.

Also, those in need could just "browse" through a list of potential donors. Yes, the 1% would abuse it to bag and tag whatever they needed (as if they don't do that already - yeah, we know about you with your Hermés bands)...

But, for the rest of us, it would just make organ donation so much more personal.

"So, how are you feeling today?"
"Sorry, right as rain."
"Okay then. Talk to ya tomorrow?"
"No worries - off to work. Don't die."
"Thanks. Wish I could say the same."

It would be comforting for me to know that, if I got in a major car wreck, it might brighten someone's day.

Apple could be the company to turn that all around - the brighter side of death...

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Just out of curiosity, once you have opted in can you change later? I've never opted in as organ donor and probably never will. I am for donating, but for some reason not with my organs. I don't know...Maybe I just think some wealthy, over-privileged and undeserving person would be entitled to my organs over others that need it just as much. That just seems like how those things work out.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just out of curiosity, once you have opted in can you change later? I've never opted in as organ donor and probably never will. I am for donating, but for some reason not with my organs. I don't know...Maybe I just think some wealthy, over-privileged and undeserving person would be entitled to my organs over others that need it just as much. That just seems like how those things work out.
But if your child needed a heart transplant or similar and you were told the likelihood of finding one was about 15% due to not enough donors, you'd hope enough people didn't have your mindset.

I'm of the opinion it doesn't matter where my organs go because I'm not going to ever know about it.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
I agree. I'll be dead. Salvage every piece of me that you can, and throw the rest in the ground. Thankfully my family knows and agrees with this.

I don't understand opposition to organ donation. Better yet, I think organ donation should be auto opt-in, and anyone who has opted out is no longer eligible to receive an organ donation if they need it.

Easy, you *AREN'T DEAD* when they butcher you for parts.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
When your Apple Watch detects a heartrate of zero, it signals your iPhone to call the emergency organ removal team's helicopter to land at your GPS location - - your organs are en route to their new owners in under an hour!

Reactions: deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.