Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
You have no idea what kind of updates they are talking about, so I can't understand why you would get upset about this. FCP 6 to 7 cost, didn't it? If FCP X 10.2 will cost you something (or 10.1, if they have fixed the main issues with 10.0.x-updates), that makes you mad?!

Uh, you mean FCPX 1.1 and 1.2. FCPX is *not* version 10 of FCP.

JabbaII

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2007
Some will cost?

That is pretty much the final straw for our facility. Between the disastrous release itself, dependence upon third parties for partial functionality, and now the prospect that there will be additional Apple costs on top of it all for this amateur piece of junk to even approach the necessities of a professional NLE, it will soon be time to jump ship.

We will play out FCP7 for a few more months, but certainly will not be spending any more money with Apple for their ill-considered, poorly designed hobby software ever again. The dream of those of us who supported FCP for years, putting up with the Avid users mocking the upstart software is over, and it hurts even more that the Avid crowd was eventually justified.

Oh my. FCP2 to FCP3 upgrade was around $300 USD. With no upgrade option (probably ever - since it is App Store policy), total cost for the eventual "suite" will be more than before. This is just to level with the functions of FCP 7.

I guess Apple will be price it smartly because all the features mentioned were in FCP 7...

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Not to use the same, tired-sounding argument, but they shouldn't have tagged the 'Pro' moniker on this if it was lacking some of those 'things'.

As for choice, I had done, for almost a decade, and now have been forced into choosing something else due to seeming utter incompetence on the part of coders who have no understanding of how films and television are actually finished.

Who's forcing you to choose? Did Apple suddenly disable everybody's copy of FCP 7? Everything is the same as the day before they released the new version. Continue to work the way you have and give them a chance to address the shortcomings and if they don't, then when you feel it's time to move on to a different tool, then do so.

Next!

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Somebody needs to explain to me how multicam editing will ever be possible with one window...

Bah, who needs that multicam thing? Sounds pretty niche to me. I've never heard of it, so it must not be important.

</sarcasm>

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
uh, you mean fcpx 1.1 and 1.2. Fcpx is *not* version 10 of fcp.

Mine says otherwise. We could argue that it should not have been called 10.0, but it sure is.

Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 4.51.24 PM.png

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I'm not trying to discount any concerns anyone has here, even though I do feel for some they are still in the knee jerk reaction phase, but anyways, here are some numbers.

Last I heard, the online petition for FCPX sucks was like 5000 ppl. Apple stated that they have over 2000000 users for FCPS. So just doing the math, 5000/2Mill = .0025%. So a quarter of 1% are really pissed off. You put yourself in Apple's shoes. From a company's perspective, which is the better business choice. I say Apple for sure made the better business choice. As we all know, there are 2 things that surround FCPS users.
1. Editors tend to be pretty set in their ways. They have signs on their doors that say "Don't rock the boat!"
2. A good majority of Apple users are emotion and feel they have Apple as their GF/BF.

On the other hand, I think the biggest truth that can be said about using Apple for ANY business category is that you don't have any idea what their roadmap is. It's just a matter of evaluating what that means to you. For me and company I work for, it's only as deep of, which mac should we buy to upgrade? And even that doesn't matter. I mean, we're small enough to where if an upgrade cycle is coming to an end, we'll wait to see what the new update is and then choose. That's only because we're a small company and always put ourselves in the, we don't "need" it now, but if it's a good enough upgrade, we'll bite.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Uh, you mean FCPX 1.1 and 1.2. FCPX is *not* version 10 of FCP.

Go to "Final Cut Pro X" and click "about."

Look at the pop-up window and tell us what version number Apple calls this program.

You can make up your own definitions, but I call Photoshop CS 5.5 the same name Adobe calls it. It's far less confusing.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Go to "Final Cut Pro X" and click "about."

Look at the pop-up window and tell us what version number Apple calls this program.

You can make up your own definitions, but I call Photoshop CS 5.5 the same name Adobe calls it. It's far less confusing.

I'm sorry you missed my point entirely. Let me clarify.

CALLING it v10 does NOT make it *version 10* of Final Cut Pro. Being a complete rewrite, it is *version 1.0* of Final Cut Pro X. Apple can CALL it whatever they want, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's v10 of Final Cut Pro.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Last I heard, the online petition for FCPX sucks was like 5000 ppl. Apple stated that they have over 2000000 users for FCPS. So just doing the math, 5000/2Mill = .0025%. So a quarter of 1% are really pissed off.

I'd chalk that up more to the majority realizing online petitions are dumb.

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
You can CALL it whatever you want, but it's a v1 product, not a V10. You and I both know what I meant.

I know, I just though it would follow the pattern from OSX, which is now 10.6.8.

But version of FCPX is 10.0, not 10.1, which would have made sense if so.

Anyway, 1.0-release for sure.

And I know many say Final Cut Pro "X", but I think we're supposed to say Final Cut Pro 10. Not that I care, just something Larry Jordan said in the vids from the London supermeet.

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
Matrox is committed to adding new features to the Matrox MXO2 products to further enhance FCP X workflows for professional users. As the FCP X software platform evolves, so too will the workflows we can offer.

http://heathmcknight.com/2011/07/ma...g-solutions-for-final-cut-pro-x-compressor-4/

I think solutions will come pretty soon. Most issues will probably be handled rather quickly, but I guess it remains to see if we get proper FCP 7 support and when Apple comes out with the "major upgrade" that contains Multicam.

Last edited:

ericmooreart

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
NY,NY
So now that Apple will let current users buy additional seats (well, soon they will), can everyone shut up whining so much now? Use the system that works for you.

FCP7, as it currently stands, was developed over 10+ years. FCPX has just come out. Development time makes a big difference.

I was happy with this and when I sent my company the link they asked why do we buy more seats of a dying program? They already own a site license to Premier so that is being rolled out to a few editors for usability testing.

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
It amazes me that the iCrowd get so worked up about people knocking Apple, most of use Pro users are Mac users before most of them where even born!

Pro users are not knocking Apple for bringing something new to the table, it is at what price! I could not care aless the price point! as I have always made ALOT more in 2 months from inverting in Apples hardware & software! THIS IS NOT THE ISSUE here....

The issue most of us have is the lack of features! nothing more, nothing less.

People should realize that iMovie Pro :rolleyes:, sorry FCP-X is not for everyone.

If you are not a pro user and make your living with Apples pro software, you should not really comment, I do not make comments on ilife even though Aperture has been converted into iPhoto Pro, BUT is has all the things it had beforehand! this is the key to the problems people have with FCP.

Anyways the whole situation is getting surreal I have jumped ship to AVID and although I still have FCP 7 and FCP X, time will tell what happens, but in the meantime I for one will happily use AVIDS tools on Apples hardware..

p.s.

Us pro users have lost so much to the iCrowd.. X-RAID, X-Serve, Shake, and now iMovie Pro. lets see what happens to FinalCut server and XSAN! :eek:

But at the end of the day we make a living from Apple´s software and purchase Apples High end hardware! but also have purchased Apples iGagets when they only had 5Gb harddrive and use our iPads 1 to control Apple Color :p

Final Cut Server is dead right? (EOL)

But Xsan is built into Lion Server, and I expect it to be a big part in FCP X's future. With good shared storage multiple users on FCP X-projects should not be a problem as far as I can see.

And get out of here with the "only people like me should be allowed to comment on this application", please. Not only does it make you sound like a fool, it is also clearly a fact that everyone must be allowed to post on newsarticles on macrumors.com...

Not to mention the fact that since you people are so fond of naming this app iMovie Pro, maybe the iCrowd are the only ones that should be able to comment if so - not the pro's, as you clearly think this app is not for you.

lesreaper2009

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
It amazes me that the iCrowd get so worked up about people knocking Apple, most of use Pro users are Mac users before most of them where even born!

Pro users are not knocking Apple for bringing something new to the table, it is at what price! I could not care aless the price point! as I have always made ALOT more in 2 months from inverting in Apples hardware & software! THIS IS NOT THE ISSUE here....

The issue most of us have is the lack of features! nothing more, nothing less.

Anyways the whole situation is getting surreal I have jumped ship to AVID and although I still have FCP 7 and FCP X, time will tell what happens, but in the meantime I for one will happily use AVIDS tools on Apples hardware..

p.s.

Us pro users have lost so much to the iCrowd.. X-RAID, X-Serve, Shake, and now iMovie Pro. lets see what happens to FinalCut server and XSAN! :eek:

But at the end of the day we make a living from Apple´s software and purchase Apples High end hardware! but also have purchased Apples iGagets when they only had 5Gb harddrive and use our iPads 1 to control Apple Color :p

I also think it's the direction the company is now taking by dumbing down to the least common denominator of creativity. Mid level pros are starting to leave because of what this software became as well as the recent technical moves by Apple to signify a general abandonment of the creative edge.

I've already switched to Premiere and I love it. Premiere is pretty much the equivalent of FCP and great for mid-level pros. I'm learning Smoke, which is what high end professionals use for editing. At $15k per license, you're starting to talk about a whole new class of editors anyway.

After Steve is gone, Apple will take another dive not too long after. I've already started to look. Man, those Galaxy phones look nice. Maybe a second or 3rd generation S1 & S2 Tablets from Sony? Time to get out of the 1984 drone commercial that Apple turned itself into.

RhymeAnimal

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Goodbye

I reluctantly switched from Avid to FCP in 2008 due to client demands (they wanted access to sequences, etc). I grew to like FCP however and it's been a productive few years.

After spending 2 days with FCP X I'm just very disappointed.

Back to Avid I go, truthfully I'm excited to see what they've been up to. $995!

midnightMachine

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
With your insult cannot even be bothered to respond to you sorry.

Looking for constructive criticism not insults. more so when you are not even a Pro user.

You know it is "pros" like you that make me almost happy that Apple has wronged you so.. I mean seriously, there is intrinsically a lot more to being a professional at anything than just getting paid for what you do. Your behavior towards people on a public forum where the OPEN discussion of ideas happens is simply pathetic.

If you have so much as looked at Final Cut Pro X then you have grounds to comment on it. You shouldn't talk about more than it's appearance, but you have grounds to comment.

This idea of entitlement some of you "pros" have is insane. You paid for a license, or multiple licenses of a product. You liked the product, you bought more. End of transaction. If you pre-paid for an upgrade then you might have a leg to stand on, but thats not what happened, there was no pre-order, your FCP 7 install did not break.. If you don't like the new product, or if it doesn't fit your workflow, oh well, go buy something else. Hell, get out of my industry. Please though, for the love of god, stop acting so indignant, it is unbecoming of you.

I see people get ragged on all the time for hopping on new OS updates, even intra-version updates. Something in it breaks their workflow. They get called idiots for updating so quickly, for not waiting to see if everything will work right. I don't see how this is different from that.. except that your workflow hasn't been broken! The old way STILL WORKS! Even in their new OS.. Apple is even revisiting the idea of helping people expand their existing workflow providing that they were already a Volume License holder.

The reaction I have seen is just sad. There is nothing wrong with being disappointed, and civilly voicing those disappointments will probably lead to functionality being added, or brought back. But this talking down your nose to people because they don't fit your definition of 'worthy to speak'.. unprofessional to say the least.

fred1

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
Too Little Too Late

For us, this is too little too late. We will keep using FC7 until we are up and running with Premier Pro. This is not Apple dropping the ball, this was a calculated move to try to gain market share by selling to a vast market of weekend users, and dropping the Pros. I think what they didn't count on was how influential the small Pro crowd was. And that Adobe and the others are now about 1 year ahead of them in development. Have you seen a third party user book for FCPX yet? All the issues people have been having are being solved by other users in the blogosphere. Nothing from Apple yet.
And to make matters worse, the pros are helping the transition to other platforms... publicly... like this from Walter Biscard.
http://vimeo.com/25506555

Not to get lyrical here, but Leonard Cohen had some thoughts about this kind of arrogance in 1969. Who knew he was talking about Apple.

The Story of isaac

...."A scheme is not a vision
And you never have been tempted
By a demon or a god.
You who stand above them now,
your hatchets blunt and bloody..."

..."And if you call me brother now,
Forgive me if I inquire,
Just according to whose plan?"

midnightMachine

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I understand that. I understand the desire to switch. I've always had Premiere Pro at my disposal (a couple gens old) and I'm starting to get to know it now. Just in case. I'm a fairly young editor though, and I have hopes.. But I'm not going to put everything on FCP X to be what I need it to be when I need it to be.

I just get really tired of the attitude, especially when it gets directed at individuals who had nothing to do with this.

The benefit of third-party add ons though is that one could tailor their environment to what they need it to be. We just need the API's to get out so we don't have software like Duck Export trying to rape anyone who wants a real sound mix.. i mean really, almost twice the price of the software you are supporting.. thats just nuts.. AJA, I can deal with, thats pretty high end hardware they are supporting, and that comes with a price tag.

Though I would like to see an OMF exporter that allows you to assign tracks to your audio on export.. i mean seeing as they don't have them, you could pre-organize you tracks by selecting how many to generate in the OMF then telling it which sound clips to put on which tracks.. That would be awesome.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
The reaction I have seen is just sad. There is nothing wrong with being disappointed, and civilly voicing those disappointments will probably lead to functionality being added, or brought back. But this talking down your nose to people because they don't fit your definition of 'worthy to speak'.. unprofessional to say the least.

Both sides need to act more "professional" in their discourse. I will say that there is a lot of unnecessary negativity coming from the uninformed camp who constantly try to shout down with comments like "the old way works so stop complaining" or "what did you expect from a version 1?" They're either wildly uninformed or simply don't want to admit that Apple is capable of releasing a sub-par product (evidenced by the voting down of practically any comment not pro-Apple). Most of the complaints from the "pros" are constructive criticism and honesty from where I've seen it. This product simply won't work for them and so far there is little information out there that implies it ever will. That is a problem when the alternative is to keep working on the previous outdated software. This is their livelihood after all.

And these "pros" by the way are some of the most diehard Apple fans around.

It's not the end of the world, but I do suspect that there is going to be a large migration in the "pro" market towards the competitors. Of course that might not hurt Apple's bottom line, but keep in mind that this was a market that they have been proud of having in their corner recently and they sure didn't shy away of advertising that fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.