Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Allow Google Voice-Compatible Apps Back Into App Store?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Last year, Apple generated quite a bit of controversy by appearing to reject an official Google Voice application that would have provided integration with Google's phone-related services. In response to an investigation by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, Apple and Google offered differing statements as to whether the application had actually been rejected or simply not-yet-approved, although the application still has yet to appear in the App Store.

At the time of its initial "rejection" of the official Google Voice application, Apple also pulled from the App Store previously-approved third-party applications that offered Google Voice functionality. As noted by Sean Kovacs, the developer behind one of those apps in GV Mobile, his application had been personally approved by Apple senior vice president Phil Schiller, only to be later removed for "duplicating features that come with the iPhone". Kovacs subsequently published GV Mobile on the Cydia store for jailbroken iPhones, where it has been rather successful and has continued to see regular updates.

With Apple finally providing an open look at its App Store review guildelines, Kovacs rhetorically asked on Twitter yesterday whether GV Mobile should now be allowed in the App Store given that it appears to comply with all of Apple's review guidelines. A short time later, he reported that Apple had confirmed that the application would most likely be accepted should he submit it again.
Good news: I did get confirmation back from Apple that it will most likely get back in once I resubmit.
Kovacs notes that he deleted the application from iTunes Connect after it was originally pulled, and thus it is unclear whether he will be able to submit it again under the same name and identifying information to re-link with those who purchased the app before it was pulled.

It also remains to be seen whether Google will once again pursue its official Google Voice application with Apple, but Apple's now-public guidelines do appear to be opening the door for clarity on the review process and the possibility of more candid and open discussions with developers about their submissions.

Article Link: Apple to Allow Google Voice-Compatible Apps Back Into App Store?

Lestdog

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Geeez I hope so. This whole thing was ridiculous to begin with. Rich companies just seem to love to suppress good technology when it cuts into their profits.

Comment

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Hopefully Wifisync and many others will be re-accepted also. This is very awesome.

Comment

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Wow, Adobe's back and Google Voice is back. I'm speechless. I'd like to moan but I cannot.

(Although I still believe that Apple and Steve Jobs handled these issues very unprofessionally). I'm done. :)

Comment

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Ok, so for all the people who blasted Apple for not allowing this in the first place.....
How many are actually going to use this app? I'm guessing a small percentage of the people who complained.

Comment

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Ok, so for all the people who blasted Apple for not allowing this in the first place.....
How many are actually going to use this app? I'm guessing a small percentage of the people who complained.

LOL. What does that say about Apple defendants and fanboys?
Does Apple's backtracking make them look foolish?

GV is immensely useful, not to mentioned they offer unlimied free text messaging.

Comment

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002

So... then Apple shouldn't accept the app?

The fact of the matter is that Apple was *wrong* for not allowing that app through. Whether or not a small percentage of users would actually use the app is *not* the point.

So... what is YOUR point?

w00master

Comment

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010

w00master

My point is people made a big deal about nothing. 90% of them won't even use the app that Apple has now accepted. If anything most of them would have never heard of it if it weren't for all the news about it not being accepted right away.

Comment

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
My point is people made a big deal about nothing. 90% of them won't even use the app that Apple has now accepted. If anything most of them would have never heard of it if it weren't for all the news about it not being accepted right away.

So... again, they shouldn't have said anything?

Apple OPENING their app store rules/polilces is GOOD for everyone. So, if NO ONE said anything, it would have been LESS likely for Apple to do these sorts of things.

I'm not understanding your logic here. This is good for EVERYONE.

w00master

Comment

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
I switched to android because of this.

Ok, so for you here's an answer. I ditched apple after the 3G for many reasons but this was one of the more significant ones. To place a call using google voice I had to go to a web-app, wait for a call, answer it, wait for it to connect on the other end. I now have a droid which I am VERY happy with and has google voice integration.

This will make me consider going back to the iphone next year and is very exciting news. I LOVE the apple hardware and the software but some of the choices cupertino makes just leave me so frustrated and angry.

Don't get me wrong the iPhone was the best phone I had ever owned until I got the droid. If apple continues to make these kind of changes, particularly in regards to transparency for developers, then I may once again vote for them with my hard earned dollar but the way android is shaping up it's going to be one hell of a fight and that's a good thing for EVERYONE!!! YAY.:apple::D

Comment

december

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
Toronto
what are the chances of an iPod touch Google Voice app? is the touch's lack of an internal dialer fatal or can they work around that in the same way they allow you to make GV calls from your browser on the Mac? currently, GV only works for texting via their mobile site.

Comment

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
what are the chances of an iPod touch Google Voice app? is the touch's lack of an internal dialer fatal or can they work around that in the same way they allow you to make GV calls from your browser on the Mac? currently, GV only works for texting via their mobile site.

GV isn't voip it only connects all your numbers to your google voice number. However you could, for example, connect google voice to your skype number and then use the google voice app to place a call with that number now that multitasking works.

Comment

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Ok, so for you here's an answer. I ditched apple after the 3G for many reasons but this was one of the more significant ones. To place a call using google voice I had to go to a web-app, wait for a call, answer it, wait for it to connect on the other end. I now have a droid which I am VERY happy with and has google voice integration.
I have very little knowledge of the iPhone APIs, but I don't think they give much control over making phone calls. I'm not sure how the GV app would work, but wouldn't it still be pretty much the process you described? i.e. Open GV app, wait for call, answer it....
I'm sure it may work different on the Android. I'm sure someone knows more about it than me.....

Comment

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
So... then Apple shouldn't accept the app?

The fact of the matter is that Apple was *wrong* for not allowing that app through. Whether or not a small percentage of users would actually use the app is *not* the point.

w00master

When will Google supply their free navigation program to the iPhone? Hmm?

Comment

december

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
Toronto
GV isn't voip it only connects all your numbers to your google voice number. However you could, for example, connect google voice to your skype number and then use the google voice app to place a call with that number now that multitasking works.

the question is whether an app would enable the ability to make voice calls on the touch. you currently cannot place a call via the iPod touch's built in browser, yet you can on a Mac from within Gmail.

Comment

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Damn right

You want to not get stomped on by Android, you better quit denying people functionality.

Actually, false.

As recent polling and studies have shown, "You want to not get stomped on by Android, you better make the phones available to all customers, i.e. on all carriers".

That is the greatest impediment for the iPhone sales. (I would even contest the "stomped" statement, since Apple's market share for the second quarter was about 3% behind Androids in the US, which isn't bad since it was the quarter leading to the iPhone 4).

That being said, for me personally, the only thing slowing down my iPhone 4 purchase was Apple's App Store policies. I am glad they have finally realized that the App Store approval process needs drastic improvements, and are moving in the right direction.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.