Apple to Announce Amazon Prime Video for Apple TV at WWDC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to make a major Apple TV announcement at WWDC that should delight Amazon Prime subscribers - the addition of an Amazon Prime Video app for the Apple TV.

The news comes courtesy of BuzzFeed's John Paczkowski, who often accurately shares details on Apple's plans ahead of events. According to Paczkowski, sources of Apple's plans say the company will announce an Amazon Prime Video app during its keynote event.

There are tentative plans for the app to go live in the summer, but its official release date could change.

[​IMG]

With Amazon Prime Video on the Apple TV, Amazon also plans to resume offering the Apple TV through Amazon.com. Amazon stopped offering the Apple TV and the Google Chromecast in 2015, citing Amazon Prime Video incompatibility as the reason why. It is not known when the Apple TV will return to the Amazon website.

News of a potential deal between Apple and Amazon that would see the app made available on the Apple TV first surfaced last week. At the time, Apple and Amazon were said to be close to an agreement, and now an agreement has been reached.

Amazon Prime Video is one of the only major streaming video services that is currently absent from the Apple TV, and Apple TV owners have long wanted to see the Prime Video app on Apple's device.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Amazon Prime Video for Apple TV at WWDC

2. nrose101 macrumors regular

nrose101

3. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I think it was very short term thinking to put one of their products before a subscription based service. Even Apple hasn't done that.

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

5. JilzVT macrumors member

Not sure this deserves a big announcement. Just highlights how bad it was that this hasn't always been available. And yes, I blame both sides.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Cool. This might make Prime worth it finally.

7. HailstormX macrumors member

Its about time. Now when will they start selling the Apple TV on Amazon. :)

8. GlastoEls macrumors member

GlastoEls

9. itsmilo macrumors 6502a

itsmilo

Great another 20 mins App demo of something we already know

10. RosOne macrumors regular

Hey Amazon, please release Twitch for ATV while you're at it

11. lhammer610 macrumors member

lhammer610

It was never clear to me who was preventing this from happening, Apple or Amazon. Since it was available on the iPad, it just did not make sense for it not to be on the AppleTV.

Who gave in?

Does this mean that Amazon will start selling the AppleTV again?

12. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Big announcement? They'll probably spend 5 minutes on stage talking about it, if that. It's not like the entire event is about Amazon Prime Video. Also, why would you blame both sides? The App Store developer tools have been there for quite some time now... the only ones who chose not to use them is Amazon.
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2017 ---
    It was Amazon. I sincerely doubt Apple blocked the app from being on the App Store.

13. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

How about a 4k Apple TV? Don't tell me it's not mainstream enough, because I would just defer you to BestBuy.com. The everyman is buying a 4k TV in 2017.

14. cardfan macrumors 65816

I guess Apple and Amazon finally agreed they make money doing different things..

15. wigby macrumors 65816

If you read past the headline you would know.

Seriously, they're wasting valuable keynote time on the same company that snubbed them? Amazon pulling Apple TV from their store must've done more damage than Apple is willing to admit.

16. JohnnyApple$eed macrumors member

JohnnyApple$eed

This is awesome news! Now I can ditch that worthless Firestick and have Netflix, Hulu, DirecTV NOW and all in one place. And on a platform that actually works (well)!

17. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

This is good as I have Amazon Prime Video (for the Grand Tour) and while I already have three streaming services I subscribe to (due to there being different shows on each) I rarely watch anything on Amazon other than TGT simply because it is a pain to use. A native app on the ATV4 will make it more likely my family will use it. Dumb move on Amazon's part to not have this already.

18. ThisBougieLife, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017

ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

ABOUT. FREAKIN. TIME.

This is the main downside of the Apple TV for me. I hate having to use AirPlay for Prime. I want all the apps on all the devices.

19. Che Castro macrumors 603

Unless Apple TV 4k reveal at wwdc

20. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

Thereby rendering my Roku's obsolete. I barely use them since picking up Apple TV anyway.

21. Daws001 macrumors 6502

Daws001

Maybe I'll actually watch Prime video now. I honestly forget I have it as the free two-day shipping is why I bought the service (and make great use of it!).

22. wigby macrumors 65816

Estimates pin about 15%-20% of U.S. homes to have 4k sets right now. Is that mainstream?

23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I doubt Apple will spend any more time on it other than showcasing that Prime Video is coming. It's not THAT big of a deal but as a Prime user i'm glad to see most of my services all on one box.

"Alexa, thank Bezsos for pulling his head out of his *****"