Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liberal

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
When Apple announces an upgrade to an existing product in a keynote, Steve usually says that's it's shipping immediately. If stock was running low, I could see it; but the apple online store told me that it's shipping within 24 hours.

Really? Like when they announced an updated iPhone model on June 7th and it was available for pre-order on June 15th?

jealousguy86

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
i agree with whoever was saying the valentine's day doesn't mean jack. i know that's today, but i don't think that will affect any ipad sales. 1st, yes it will look cheap, "hey hunny the ipad 2 is out soon, so i'm gonna take back the awesome gift i just gave you and get you the ipad 2 (which you proably don't care the difference of).

and 2, there wasn't even a sale for valentine's day on the apple store. it was just a marketing thing for them to try and sell a little more this late in the product's cycle. it makes sense, hell it'd be weird if they didn't try to push some more sales for v-day.

but it's been on sale at best buy, walmart (i think amazon), and the at&t accessories are on sale, pretty nice sale too. so they all want to be rid of their stock pretty soon. which, at this point, shouldn't be too high of a stock anyway since most people who want that stuff probably already have it. i'm sure ipad sales and accessory sales have slowed down a bit since the holidays. either way, the ipad is selling all over the world, so if there's overstock in the u.s., they can just either lower the price or release it abroad. hell, ipad just started selling in india recently. and apple just released the iphone on verizon days ago, so their focus is now on the ipad 2, or macbook pro, which i'm hoping they really care more about the ipad 2 right now, let the macbook pro wait a bit more.

anyway, i believe we'll see the release in march. so many rumors seem to claim the march thing, and while many also say april, they're just saying that because it's safe. the mac.de site that guessed the ipad 2 will be released in the first or 2nd saturday of april was wrong on their more recent rumor of the ipad event before today, so i don't give them much credibility. i think we'll probably see invites sent out this week or next, an event the week after that, then a release shortly thereafter. my guess if i had to put it for this month would be 2/22/11, sort of fitting for ipad 2, in the 2nd month of the year, blah blah, so clever. but that would mean we'll see invites today or tomorrow for an event next tuesday and a release short after that. 2 weeks at the most i think from the announcement, but i'd say much sooner.

i hope.

Last edited:

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
This date makes no sense.

iPad 2 has got to be announced during a media event. The media event is usually announced two weeks prior, which makes it February 2nd, which is long gone, which also means that there will be no iPad 2 until April 1st at the earliest.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
This date makes no sense.

iPad 2 has got to be announced during a media event. The media event is usually announced two weeks prior, which makes it February 2nd, which is long gone, which also means that there will be no iPad 2 until April 1st at the earliest.

Media events by Apple are usually announced about 1 week prior to the event, not two.

Verizon announced the iPhone 4 event on the Friday before the Tuesday of the event...so just 4 days before.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Absolutely I do. This is the same company that runs 'get a free iPod touch!' promotions to get rid of back stock and then updates the product a day after the offer ends.

I do think there is a difference between a free iPod and a purchased iPad in regards to how much ill will updating the respective item afterwards generates.

Last edited:

jealousguy86

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
since 4.3 was delayed again til the end of february now, i wonder what that means for ipad 2 release, if anything. i'm still of the mind that ipad 2 will come released with iOS 4.3. that's not to say the same day 4.3 launches, but it'll come with 4.3 as the most recent iOS update.

so i'm still gonna guess feb. 22 announcement (or at least an announcement by the end of the month), release in early march when iOS 4.3 is ready finally.

i really don't think we'll have to wait until april for this. some people today were saying that AT&T may have screwed apple's surprise about ipad 2 by putting their accessories on sale so early, or all of a sudden, something that apple doesn't do until the new product is announced, which has led some to believe the ipad 2 announcement really is imminent, just waiting for verizon iphone news to die down. check out this article::

Good job, AT&T. You just told the world the iPad 2 is minutes to midnight in terms of its release date. Were you getting your revenge on Apple for releasing the Verizon iPhone 4, or are you just that tactless when it comes to keeping secrets? When a new iDevice is approaching, Apple is smart enough not to give clues that it’s days away from launching. It doesn’t discount accessories for the current generation device. Instead it keeps them at full price until the end of the generation, and then dumps them off at low-brow retailer for blowout after the generation they work with has been discontinued. But AT&T doesn’t have that kind of brains, or it’s just no longer interested in keeping Apple’s secrets. The carrier has discounted iPad accessories by a stunning half price in its own retail stores, meaning that not only the iPad 2 coming soon, it’s coming soon. As in, enjoy that iPad 1 you just gave to your significant other for Valentine’s Day today, because it might not still be the current model by the time its gets unpackaged.

AT&T is known more for its bungling than its cunning cleverness, so you have to figure there’s a strong chance this was just AT&T being AT&T. But the timing is, nonetheless, interesting. Apple just opened the iPhone 4 up to rival carrier Verizon, after years of exclusivity. And while early sales have shown that the vast majority of Verizon iPhone 4 sales have been to existing Verizon customers and not to AT&T iPhone switchers, the latter has nonetheless already begun having to spend money running ads to combat any potential mass-switch, meaning that if nothing else, AT&T can’t be thrilled with Apple right now. And so as the carrier goes and reveals the fact that the iPad 2 is going to see release so soon that iPad 1 accessories are being sold below cost just to avoid having to throw them away later, you have to ask yourself whether AT&T isn’t at least grinning mischievously at realizing after the fact that it just blew Apple’s surprise iPad 2 launch, even if the carrier didn’t plan things that way. After all, if Apple and AT&T could barely stand each other back when they were exclusive partners, the Verizon iPhone 4 can’t exactly have made relations better.

from beatweek magazine online

Last edited:

camelsnot

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Umm no. When has Apple ever changed their plans because of another company? It would make no sense for Apple to delay profits coming in just because ATT or other sites are prereleasing info on accessories.

Beachtweak or whatever.. yeah I forgot their name because they're not really that important, knows less than someone living in Iceland when it comes to Apple's release plans. Their rumor was DOA.

As for the Verizon buzz to die down... that happened the day the vPhone was released. It was DOA. Move along with your timeline, Apple.

so i'm still gonna guess feb. 22 announcement (or at least an announcement by the end of the month), release in early march when iOS 4.3 is ready finally.

i really don't think we'll have to wait until april for this. some people today were saying that AT&T may have screwed apple's surprise about ipad 2 by putting their accessories on sale so early, or all of a sudden, something that apple doesn't do until the new product is announced, which has led some to believe the ipad 2 announcement really is imminent, just waiting for verizon iphone news to die down. check out this article::

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
As for the Verizon buzz to die down... that happened the day the vPhone was released. It was DOA. Move along with your timeline, Apple.

DOA??? How do you figure ? Broke all release day records in 2 hours, and that was between 3&5 am EST, limited to existing Verizon customers only. Sold out in 15 hours. Estimated 2 million phones. Oh, an article that picked 5 APPLE store sales, and on top of that didn't release ALL the statistics. Hardly DOA.

Move along.

Edit: Almost forgot. Those sales were done using an 8 month old phone. One that is scheduled to be updated in a few months.

Rodvette

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011

lol, why do you and other people keep insisting that the Vphone was a flop when the record breaking numbers are staring you in the face?

A lot of people pre-ordered and had their phones shipped to their home, instead of waiting in a line at 7am, nothing wrong in that. People are getting smarter.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
lol, why do you and other people keep insisting that the Vphone was a flop when the record breaking numbers are staring you in the face?

A lot of people pre-ordered and had their phones shipped to their home, instead of waiting in a line at 7am, nothing wrong in that. People are getting smarter.

It had to completely outshine any previous offering (on AT&T) in order to "count" in some people's books. It wasn't some massive, "oh my god" kind of release, so it was written off.

On another note, the fact that you can't use data WHILE on a call on Verizon is really, really crappy. I literally do that almost every day. That's a MUST. And lastly, the 3G speeds are slower.

"Well, at least you can get a signal with Verizon". MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people don't have an issue at all with AT&T. Not really a valid rebuttal for most people.

So, in essence, there just wasn't a lot to be excited about unless you're so tied into Verizon that leaving was never an option.

BaBaBoooooooey

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
well, i hear feb. 22 being discussed...but cant we throw that out the window now?
dont they usually send out invites and stuff?

HURRY APPLE!
my money is burning a hole in my pocket!

Rodvette

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
It had to completely outshine any previous offering (on AT&T) in order to "count" in some people's books. It wasn't some massive, "oh my god" kind of release, so it was written off.

On another note, the fact that you can't use data WHILE on a call on Verizon is really, really crappy. I literally do that almost every day. That's a MUST. And lastly, the 3G speeds are slower.

"Well, at least you can get a signal with Verizon". MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people don't have an issue at all with AT&T. Not really a valid rebuttal for most people.

So, in essence, there just wasn't a lot to be excited about unless you're so tied into Verizon that leaving was never an option.

I get you, but to simply to put the V iphone sales in the DOA category just reeeeks fanboyism. I don't see data+talk as a big deal probably because I never see myself using that feature and on top of that I never had it, but I can see how in your position ATT is the better fit.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
well, i hear feb. 22 being discussed...but cant we throw that out the window now?
dont they usually send out invites and stuff?

HURRY APPLE!
my money is burning a hole in my pocket!
Well the 24th is Steve Jobs birthday. The MacBook Pros roll out has been pushed back from Wednesday to Thursday so maybe there will be one more thing?

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
The verizon iphone Was and is nothing special. The iPhone has been out for 4 years now. It's just now on a new network. The real kicker will be when iPhone 5 comes out and everyone is lined up at apple and VERIZON stores while AT&T sees a major difference in fanfare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.