Apple to announce iPad 2 on February 16th?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ConnorTurnbull, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Subscriptions coming to The Daily in 2 weeks.
    Apple to open this to developers "soon".
    Software update needed to support it.
    Therefore, software update needed within 2 weeks (to support subscriptions in The Daily).
    Apple announcement coming "soon" (both Cue and Schiller have said this)
    iOS 4.3 nearing high betas
    iOS 4.3 will be a fairly big deal for apps
    YBCA calendar free on both Tues and Wed 15/16th Feb.

Purely speculation, but it works....

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Apple have been spamming everyone with buy your lover an iPad for valentines day emails.

I hardly think they would announce a new model 2 days later do you?

That's not good PR.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Absolutely I do. This is the same company that runs 'get a free iPod touch!' promotions to get rid of back stock and then updates the product a day after the offer ends.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I doubt iPad will be announced before march and updated on April.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I wholeheartedly agree
    Late March/early April
    With immediate availability

Modest updates

6. WLS macrumors 65816

I think so. Too many things are happening. With so many leaks Apple needs to get on top of this with a roll-out. Last two weeks in Feb is a sweet spot for this to happen otherwise it won't be until late March early/April. We shall see.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With apple's iPad valentines push, it makes no sense for them to turn around and update the iPad 2 days before valentines day.

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I do not believe that are we going to see any Apple event in February. I would bet my money for March or even April.

9. geko29 macrumors 6502

Nah, just 4.3 this month. No hardware.

I've been predicting a March 9th announcement (originally 8th when I erroneously thought it would be a Tuesday), and April 2nd release since early January, and I'm sticking to my guns.

10. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I do not see them announcing it with availability in 1 1/2 months.. what would that do to current sales? Unless they plan on shipping it much sooner.

11. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

12. ConnorTurnbull thread starter macrumors 6502

It makes sense for them to launch it. The Valentine's promotion is probably just an excuse to get rid of the stock.

You never know, they could say "we're launching in two months, but from today, iPad 1's will start at just $399". Would be a good way to get rid of the current inventory.

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The difference being that the people who buy iPads at retail for Valentine's day will still be within the 14-day return period on the 16th. People who do the back-to-school deal can't swap their old model for the new one at an Apple store, but the Valentine's day buyers all could.

14. bettaboy123 macrumors member

I highly doubt that they would offer it for that low. Maybe $449 at lowest, but I personally don't think that they will do that in the first place. They will probably unveil the iPad 2 with immediate availability in March or April.

The Yerba Buena Center is still open on February 15th and 16th, so I don't see much going on there related to an Apple-related announcement. They don't really have the time to do everything they need to there for such a large announcement. Plus Steve Jobs is on medical leave, so I don't see any large announcements for at least a month. Just my two cents...

15. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Refurbished iPads start at just $429. They've been so for the last month and a half so I can see them starting the price at $399 for the 1st generation models.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

These aren't stockpiled in a warehouse somewhere. Apple's maximum inventory is at six weeks and as they ramp down the current generation it's probably less than half that (they track sales minutely - they have to). By the time the next one is released they're not going to have many 1st-gen around aside from store returns.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This.

There is simply no logical business reason for Apple to shoot their load with an iPad 2. Modest updates for the hardware and a new OS. Aside of the Galaxy, there are no tablets shipping. And no, the cheap $99 Chinese knock offs don't count.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

While the updates will no doubt be modest compared to the expectations of most people here the next iPad will be the benchmark that the 2011 releases will be compared to, Playbook, Xoom and the rest. So while no competing tablets are currently shipping, a great many will ship in the coming months. I'm confident that Apple will make meaningful changes where it matters.

19. rdowns, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree.

There's some really stupid thread with a list of 50 things Apple needs to put in the iPad 2. No matter what Apple does, the population of this forum will bitch and moan. The other 98% of Apple's customers won't give a **** and will be happy to buy it.

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Most of which...
    A. have no shot whatsoever of EVER being included, much less now
    2. are not desired by 98% of the users

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't need iPad to have 5 or 8 megapixel camera.
    That's not what Tablet is for. If you want to take a good photo, use your phone or DSLR.

iPad camera is really for Video conferencing calls, and 1 megapixel is good enough.

From the way I see it, iPad 2 will have

Faster Processor (Twice fast) and much better GPU (Twice better)

512 MB ram

1 megapixel camera on the back and VGA camera on Front

Some sort of Anti-glare display with resolution 1024X768

Price and storage remain the same.

Apple is genius. They upgrade it enough to look first gen iPad look outdated, but do not take any major leap forwards.

22. Dr Kevorkian94, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Last year the event was march 17th if I remember correctly (prob not). I'm hoping around that time. I think April is a little late, but if the product of that ime equals the awesomeness than I'll be fine with it :D

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

On a personal note, I see that you already have an iPad 3G. Are you buying iPad 2 no matter what?

24. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

The iPad was announced by Steve Jobs on January 27, 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad