Apple to Announce TV Service at March 25 Event, But Launch is Months Off

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While Apple is planning to preview its rumored streaming TV service at an event that's set to be held on March 25, a launch may not happen for several months.

According to sources that spoke to Variety, Apple will announce the service in March, but it may not be available to customers until the summer, or as late as fall.

[​IMG]
    Apple has more than two dozen original television shows in the works, many of which have already been cast. It's not clear if filming has started, but holding the launch of the service until at least some of the shows are available would make sense.

Apple has not yet announced its March 25 event, but multiple rumors from well-respected sites have indicated that's the date when it will be held.

The March 25 event will be focused on services, and Apple is not expected to debut new hardware even though there are multiple rumors of products getting a spring refresh.

We could instead see devices like the AirPower, iPad mini 5, new AirPods, a seventh-generation iPad, and a seventh-generation iPod touch announced via press release given that these are all minor updates.

Major stars that include Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell, all of whom have roles in Apple shows, have been invited to attend the March event, which will also include an announcement of a new Apple News service.

Variety's sources caution that specific plans for the event and how the video service will be introduced may be "in flux until the minutes Cook steps on the stage."

Article Link: Apple to Announce TV Service at March 25 Event, But Launch is Months Off

2. brendu macrumors 68020

Dear Apple, please go back to announcing things only when they are ready to roll out.

3. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I didn't think it made sense in that earlier story to hold an event just for a news subscription service. Hopefully the rest of that report was wrong and we can get some hardware too.

4. cppguy macrumors 6502

You've just announced the announcement of an announcement.

5. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

6. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

Just peachy. Another "we're going to deliver this amazing new product... sometime in the indefinite future" announcement.

7. Loxen88 macrumors newbie

New Apple TV hardware to coincide with this would be nice.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I miss when Apple announcements meant things were available same day, or at most same week.

9. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

Like some others...I'm not a fan of this announce now, release waaaayyyyyy in the future.

10. AngerDanger, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I still wonder if those two'll ever become aware they're in a MacRumors article…

[​IMG]

I definitely prefer them to yet another TV streaming service.

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Yeah, me too! "Available Today" was the BEST of all announcements!

12. munpip214 macrumors member

Fall 2020 or 2021?

13. patseguin macrumors 68000

patseguin

It's going to have to be really great to lure me away from Youtube TV.

14. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Sweet! Maybe they'll release their new Wireless TV along with the matching AirPower Max charging pad! [​IMG]

15. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The service is months off? Reminiscent of the AirPower debacle. I will believe it when I see it.

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I miss the days when Apple (Steve, actually) would announce something and then say "It is available today.". People would go wild in the audience. I learned to do something like that at work and the reaction is always really positive.

17. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Holding the launch until some of the shows are ready. Sherlock Holmes, is that you?

18. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Personally I’ll take whatever pre-announcement period Apple wants to give me. I don’t see any advantage to being kept in the dark as long as possible; how is that of any benefit to me whatsoever?

I guess some people just want it, and want it now. I suppose they dislike knowing there’s something that will be available in the future, that they’re unable to buy right now. Instant gratification is a thing, I get it. Waiting for something you want is really hard.

19. mnsportsgeek macrumors 68000

So is this going to be original content or just a bundle of different services? Is this the service that's rumored to be free for Apple device owners?

Apple is going to quickly learn that people don't pay for streaming on the promise of good content in the future. This is a "show me" industry. Show me award winning content and then I'll sign up. It took Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix a long long time to get where they are. Netflix maybe not so much since they were first and also had great content very early on.

20. Tapatio macrumors newbie

21. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

Completely irrelevant and out of touch with users outside of the US.

Keep blaming the “market” for dwindling international interest in your products, Tim.

22. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Oops, NO Game of Thrones, we'd better Delay the Launch !

23. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

yes they've ruined it for me with the constant announcements of **** that may or may not ever see the light of day.

24. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

25. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

Really? (S)tore (H)Igh (I)n (T)ransport is a disallow word?