Apple to Apple iMessage - Anyone use it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMaven, Mar 12, 2012.

1. iMaven, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Does anyone use the iPad iMessage app to message an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch owner? I think I may have used it once or twice, but if I send text messages, I use my iPhone cell service. Is there really a demand for that?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I use it. All the time. Why would I put my iPad down to iMessage with my iPhone if I already have my iPad in my hand?

3. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

iMessage is a lot like Facetime. The feature is there and Apple would like you to use it but it still is a little cumbersome. It works for messaging between iPhones, Macs, and iPads but that's about it.

4. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

If iMessage is enabled it automatically sends iMessage instead of SMS when it is possible. You are probably using it without realizing. It is very fast and works like IM. It isn't necessary, but it is a nice feature that I enjoy using. You an tell it is iMessage because the messages show up in a blue bubble instead of green (sms).

5. atomicbloke macrumors member

I use it all the time. Many of my cousins live abroad in different time zones. But we communicate with each other through iMessage all through the day, and night. I think I average around 200-300 iMessages a day. And its all free on Wifi since everyone has an iDevice.

6. kkamann, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

kkamann macrumors member

kkamann

Yes, I use it extensively. But the people I text/message the most are iDevice users though.

To clarify: I use it extensively on my iPad 2 as well. Like someone else said, I set up both my iPhone and iPad to my appleID so imessages get delivered to both devices. This is very handy. You can start a convo on the iPad and continue it on your iPhone and vice versa. Also, iMessage is a convenient way to transfer photos/vids between my iPhone and iPad. For example, let's say I take a screenshot on my iphone and want to manipulate the pic on my iPad using Photoshop Touch. I will use iMessage to beam the screenshot to iPad via iMessage.

7. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

iMessage has pretty much killed off any other form of IM for me, most all of my contacts have Macs with iMessage Beta installed or iPhones, thanks to the feature I finally was able to get rid of using AIM as I had one contact on it that just couldn't give it up but since we communicate with iMessage now I no longer need it.

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Because it's automatic in recognizing when the person you are talking has an iOS device I use it all the time. iPhone to iPhone messaging is really nice with it and I got my dad's iPad set up so he could use that as well. I see no reason why not to use it

9. bjmach macrumors 6502

Ok I made a post earlier about two seperate itunes accounts. If I am in another country using my iPad (wi fi) can I iMessage my wife who is on her iPad if we are both under the same itunes account?

10. iDvisic macrumors member

I think the OP is talking about iMessage on the iPad specifically, not iMessage in general. Unless I'm missing something, the iPad doesn't SMS without third party intervention.

-->iDv.

11. RealScience macrumors member

I don't have an iPad (yet), but my iPhone uses iMessage automatically all the time when I'm communicating with other people whose iPhones are running iOS 5. It's actually kind of fun to text a new person and have it turn into an iMessage... I know right away they're an Apple user too :) In more practical terms, I like it because it doesn't cost me any messages from my plan (I know a lot of people have unlimited, but I don't :)

I did send a couple of messages to a family member who has an iPod touch, but since they have to be on wireless to get them it it's not really a reliable method of communication.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I completely disagree. Since it automatically detects and defaults to iMessage in teh background, I don't have to think about it or worry....I end up using it all the time without any real thought. It's great.

And to answer the OP, yes, I use it on my iPad as well. I have both setup with my apple ID so messages get delivered to both devices.

13. SuperRob macrumors regular

My wife and I iMessage each other all the time. Sending a message to anyone with an iPhone should default to iMessage automatically. And when it does, I know they have an iPhone, so I change their Contact entry to note that.

More interesting is that I get all my iMessages on all my devices (iPad, iPhone, and Mac mini) at the same time, so I can reply on whatever is convenient.

14. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

It's great for international "text messaging". It uses data, so I don't have to worry about any exorbitant international texting rates/plans (last I checked it was around $0.50 sent/$0.20 rec'd).

When I use it with my friends here in the States, it's not 100% necessary since all of my friends have unlimited texting. So it does have its uses.

15. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

It's not very clear, I agree.

16. joesnewmatch macrumors member

I love the free iMessage feature between apple devices. During football season my best buddy from school days and I email constantly during our team's game. I was looking at having to upgrade my text account with AT&T right when apple made the quiet change with iMessage. What a difference that made!

I also use the same feature with my other apple buddies, particularly when there is a new app that is being released, or some other mutual interest.

My Mother has an iPad 2 and she now uses that, almost exclusively, instead of her non-apple phone. Not only do we use it more often than in the past, but she is able to receive higher quality photos using messaging.

It's a win-win for us.

17. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

yes, I am talking about using iMessage on the iPad. Apple to Apple messaging. :)

18. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Still don't know what you mean by Apple to Apple messaging.

I think for those who only have an ipad and know of people with Macs, or iphones, its fantastic to message them for FREE.

19. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I kind of wish you could also put your phone number on your iPad, so when you message someone from your iPad, it comes up as your name on their iPhone. A lot of my friends don't have my email in their iPhones, so they always get confused. Plus, it'd be nice for it to have my number on my iPad, so that when I do iMessage them it doesn't start an entire new conversation under my email in their Messages app. It's just a running conversation. Does anyone else get what I'm trying to say? It would also be nice if you could sync up your Messages app on your iPhone with your iPad. So all of the conversations you already have on your iPhone are on your iPad.

20. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

You guessed what I meant by your reply. :)

21. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

22. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am curious how does the message show up when textin from iPad to iPhone?

I use it all the time to go from iPhone to iPhone and it's awesome shows up just as a SMS with my name/contact just blue instead of green.

23. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I use it all the time. Pretty much my entire office has iphones or ipads so we imessage all the time. I find it much more useful than regular text message that I can only get on my iphone. I can start a conversation on my phone if I am out and continue it on my ipad at home which is a lot easier to do since I have a blutooth keyboard for it and the screen a much bigger.

----------

from and ipad to iphone it would show up blue as well. If you send a imessage from an iphone to an ipad it looks the same as well, blue. You just send it to their registered email account instead of a phone number. I prefer to be imessaged using my email account versus iphone number so that I can get them on both devices. The imessages to my phone number only go to my iphone 4.

24. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ahh ok got it how about on the flip side of messaged via email would you get it on your iPhone?

25. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Not really.

In order for me to get texts on my iPad, the recipient has to text my email address. Who the hell has my email address saved in their contacts? No one. That's who. And it's awkward "texting" people from my email address (caller ID feature).

If texting a phone number sent it to all devices without that extra email step, I'd use it all the time.