Apple to buy Netflix? (Wall Street rumors)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Solomani, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

BusinessInsider:
    There is a 40% chance Apple will acquire Netflix, according to Citi (AAPL, NFLX)

I honestly think this could be one of Apple's best acquisitions. But it won't be cheap! Chances are good that if they are truly interested, there may ensue a bidding war. It will be costly acquisition, that much is given.

But then again….. with Netflix under its wings, Apple no longer needs to fumble around with its own lame-o in-house content. That's definitely one less thing they have to worry about going forward.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Makes sense if they are into content creation... also, it’ll give them access to Netflix’s excellent Server Distribution yo better feed iTunes rentals/sales quicker.

3. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

Apple has been desperately trying to break into content creation (in the last few years). And they've been fumbling around trying to do so. That's why a Netflix acquisition makes so much sense.

According to the Business Insider article above, the fact that Apple could potentially bring back as much as $220 billion with the Trump corporate tax cuts, means they will have the capital to make this acquisition very possible.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Let’s leave Trump out of this. Apple would buy them most likely though debt cash they have on hand or stock trade.

And yes, it makes sense to make this move. It’ll give them much more needed cloud servers experience the sorely need and access to Netflix’s deals with movie studios. In short, studios would be forced to make deals with Apple given how wide Netflix’s customer base is and with Apple’s name attached to it, a new type of service could bundled to Apple devices. That is, should a customer want to.

5. Richard28 macrumors member

The issue here is that Netflix go out of their way to make their service available on all devices, hence we can watch it on an LG TV, Android, apple or whatever.

How would a netflix purchase by apple fit into the current Apple ecosystem, where they largely restrict service to apple products? to do this would be to kill one of netflix's USP's?

6. RichardMZhlubb macrumors regular

RichardMZhlubb

I very much doubt that Apple would buy Netflix, but I would just note that they make Apple Music available on Android phones and Windows PC's. I assume that they would be similarly willing to make Netflix available on competing platforms.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why would you doubt it? Netflix has had strong revenues in the $8-$9 billion range. Those revenues support a nice profit. I don't see why not? Also, Netflix would provide a much needed expansion to iTunes services. Like I stated earlier, Netflix servers are a great way to help out iTunes (rentals and cloud viewing).

8. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

The opposite of what you said: a Netflix acquisition would allow Apple to greatly expand their (content/media) reach outside of the Apple ecosystem, overnight.

Not everyone is going to "buy Apple products" and Apple knows that. But Apple has long desired to be dominant in the content/media sector….. way back when Steve Jobs dreamed of AppleTV dominating the living room of all consumers. Well, a Netflix acquisition puts them several steps closer to that goal.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

10. Richard28, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

Richard28 macrumors member

this is true, but my point is it does not fit in with apples current strategy of getting their software/services to support hardware sales.

So such a purchase would either see Apple starting to restrict Netflix in someway to support its hardware (restricting HDR for example to apple TV), which would be a horrid result for many....

... or it would see Apple purse a new strategy of providing services not solely used to support hardware sales.

looking at Apples awful tv ventures so far I would much rather Netflix stayed independent.

11. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Netflix doesn't need Apple. And it would be refreshing to see less acquisitions for a change.

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think this would be a way in for Apple, since the application development has already been done. They could for the time being put their name on it and call it a day. But they would now have their hand on almost every device. They could then bring on the talent behind the scenes and add their style of branding along with the look and feel or what have you. But this would jump start them into playing on all the various devices.

I think this would be a great fit, but I don't know how true or how much validity is actually here.

13. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Apple is desperately looking for alternative markets.
    I'm not saying Apple is doomed, but we all know that the iPhone - as any product - isn't forever.
    iPhone is carrying more or less the entire Apple ecosystem at this point, so they have to diversify somewhat.
    They try to mask this by showing growth of their services branch, but guess why anybody is using those...

14. TalkAboutApple macrumors member

I'm so scared of anything that could impact the DVD service. Access to watching nearly 100,000 titles would be cut off instantly and perhaps never fully replaced.

15. Makayla macrumors regular

Makayla

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Oh boy, that would be pretty big if that is the case.

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If Netflix was bought by Apple, would that hinder them then in signing new content? Apple are a bit more of a competitive threat than Netflix.

Obviously Netflix have a good amount of original content, but with less 3rd party movies and series it'd be massively less attractive.

18. AmazingRobie macrumors regular

Say goodbye to any quality programming and hello to loads more nonsense and pap. Thanks Timmy Cook. Youre doing a bang, bang up job steering the ship...

19. RichardMZhlubb, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

RichardMZhlubb macrumors regular

RichardMZhlubb

The far bigger risk there is that Netflix just drops it. I'm actually surprised they haven't, since it's such a small piece of their overall business, as compared to streaming (over 100 million streaming accounts, fewer than 4 million DVD accounts).

20. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I fear for Netflix if Apple were to take it over.

21. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

I can see it now. Allow anyone to view Netflix content on any platform. But certain shows are released on Apple only devices first.

22. Henry 3 Dogg macrumors newbie

Netflix's content is pretty lame

23. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

Go big or go home... buy Disney instead of Netflix

24. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Nope. Buying Disney would require around $100 billion. Buying Netflix may require less than a third of that.

25. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

Yeah, but I did say go BIG:).
    That said, they are bringing something like that amount back from overseas.
    I mean really, I can’t think of anything else to do with my hundred billion laying around:rolleyes: