Apple to Charge $279 to Repair or Replace a Damaged HomePod Without AppleCare+

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today updated its HomePod support website with out-of-warranty service pricing for the speaker, which is arriving to customers in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia starting today.

[​IMG]

HomePod owners who do not purchase AppleCare+ will pay $279 in the United States, £268.44 in the United Kingdom, and $399 in Australia for Apple to repair or replace a HomePod with any damage, unless the issue is the result of a manufacturing defect covered by Apple's limited one-year warranty.

HomePod service can be obtained with an appointment at an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Apple also offers to send customers a box to ship their HomePod to its repair center for an additional fee of $19.95, £13.44, and $29.95 in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia respectively.

HomePod costs $349 in the United States, £319 in the United Kingdom, and $499 in Australia, meaning Apple's replacement fee is 80 percent of the cost of a brand new one, so AppleCare+ could be worthwhile.

AppleCare+ extends a HomePod's hardware coverage to two years from its original purchase date, and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $39 in the United States, £29 in the United Kingdom, and $55 in Australia, plus the upfront cost of the plan.

Is it worth it to buy AppleCare+ for HomePod?

We've put together a chart to compare the potential costs of replacing a damaged HomePod with and without AppleCare+ in each country:

[​IMG]

AppleCare+ for HomePod: United States / United Kingdom / Australia

Since the HomePod is more of a stationary product placed on a desk or kitchen countertop, many customers may opt against purchasing AppleCare+ for the speaker. But if you have children or pets, or worry about splashing it in the kitchen, then it may be worth considering AppleCare+ for its potential savings.

Article Link: Apple to Charge $279 to Repair or Replace a Damaged HomePod Without AppleCare+

2. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I don't think I've ever seen a repair cost that close to the original purchase price.

What's the point?

4. benshive macrumors newbie

5. vic_w macrumors newbie

vic_w

The first time (1999?) I had tech support replace a computer keyboard for a workstation and I was told "just throw the old one away, it is 'disposable'" -- I knew the computer industry had changed into a commodity business.

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

To force you to buy AC+. Can’t see any other reason at that price point.

7. kstotlani macrumors 6502

iPhone 8 and X have a huge cost of the glass back breaks. New thing in Apple. Make products disposable.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Think there’s an error in the table for UK pricing.

With those figures I’d rather buy a brand new one and not have to deal with a support person.

9. Man on the moon macrumors regular

I love apple but it seems they just recycled the mac pro design for this thing.

10. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Yeah that's a hard no. Nothing else to even say to this.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I predict the gnashing of the teeth will be start soon...

Guys, this thing has one year Apple warranty. It is a speaker, so anywhere in the EU and the future previous EU countries, it is covered by consumer protection laws which say it must last for a reasonable amount of time. Typically two years, but for speakers I would argue that a "reasonable amount of time" is longer than two years. So nobody in the USA is paying for the next year, nobody in the UK is paying for two years.

Solution: Be careful when you water your house plants, and don't water the HomePod as well. And I must say, I have never heard of anyone repairing speakers. I actually never had any speakers break. The first pair that I bought lasted forever, and I replaced them because I could afford better ones, which then lasted forever (forever meaning more than 25 years).

Speakers just don't break. Unless you break them. And if you think the amount that Apple charges is too much, then surely someone will repair them for less money if they ever need repairing.

12. vic_w, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018

vic_w macrumors newbie

vic_w

I have had countless computers, speakers, all kinds of devices. Years ago I figured out that if I take care of my stuff, I can safely avoid the service plan. The only computing device I have had service plans for since then are laptops because they are simply more prone to damage and if damaged most repairs are $$$.

I would not get the service plan for HomePod unless I was moving it around like a portable device.

The other thing to remember is: This is essentially a computing device. Computing devices are typically replaced or obsolete within 5-8 years. ...Of course people have older computers! But try running newer/more advanced operating system versions or applications on them: Time to upgrade! Same thing expected here, the computing hardware will eventually be incompatible with the newer devices that talk with it.

13. krazzix macrumors member

krazzix

In a few years the repair cost will surpass the initial cost.

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Speakers don't typically have logic boards to fail. The Homepod does. It remains to be seen if they fail as often as Macbook ones seem to recently.

Charging the retail cost to repair it in the UK is pretty outrageous, but sadly not surprising - I had a Macbook repair for a machine less than 18 months old that died due to a manufacturing defect in the NVRAM, and while the cost was waived by the store under EU consumer law the repair would otherwise have cost £820. At that cost it wouldn't have been worth doing anything but throwing it in the bin and buying something else. And it's all the fault of the poor design practices on recent machines meaning that any faults more or less necessitate Apple throwing out half the machine.

15. Bobo03 macrumors regular

16. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I don't know what AC cost for HomePod but it seems excessive to charge $78 for the repair to people who have already purchased AC. They are charging 22% the price of a new HomePod to the people who have "insurance". I only have to pay a 20% copay when I use my Anthem healthcare insurance.

17. hlevolve macrumors member

hlevolve

This is really annoying how they continue to make all of their devices virtually un-repairable and extremely expensive.

18. vic_w macrumors newbie

vic_w

How old is your phone? My oldest phone was 3 years old. I consider 4 years+ in the disposable range for a smartphone, given the feature train moving ahead and wanting a ride.

19. B4U macrumors 65816

B4U

Apple is trying to help iFixit's business...
    Might as well pay the extra $70 to get a new one and then get the broken one fixed by oneself.

20. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Good strategy to upgrade and also get the approval of your wife once a newer version will be available.

21. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

Top tip for potential UK buyers. Don't buy it from Apple, if John Lewis are selling them then get one there, 5 years warranty as standard. Tell them to shove the Apple Care right up the ginnel.

22. kstotlani macrumors 6502

Don’t get me started on that. I keep my phones 3-4 years as iPhones are expensive but they were built to last. I had an iPhone 6 less than 2 years old but because of the battery fiasco I was forced to buy 8 plus. I would have never bought a new phone if Apple didn’t refuse to replace the battery.

23. scrapesleon macrumors 6502

scrapesleon

24. Marx55 macrumors 68000

25. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That is pretty pricey. If I was going to get one, I'd pay for it with my Visa which adds an extra year to the warranty.