Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Declare Last iPod Nano Model 'Vintage' Later This Month

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
My first Apple product was the 3rd generation iPod Nano. I remember unwrapping it on Christmas Day & seeing it. I didn’t care for iPods or really know who Apple was at the time, so I looked at my dad and asked if this was meant to be my brother’s because he was the one that wanted one. My brother helped me set it up later that day & my god, hearing music in your ears on such a small, beautiful device was amazing. I loved it. I loved how it just worked with iTunes and never really had issues with it - I still have every song I put on there in my iTunes/Apple Music library! I then used it every day, and think my brother stopped using his within a few months.

I remember the year or 2 before this, I got a crappy MP3 player For Christmas that took ages to put music on to by using Windows explorer & my sister’s wouldn’t work, so we tried using my friend’s PC with iTunes (as I said, we didn’t really know about Apple stuff back then haha) & iTunes looked great. Within days of getting it, my MP3 player just stopped working. I think it could only hold 300 songs or something like that. I can’t even remember what brand it was at all.

After receiving the Nano, I got really into Apple & their products. I got an iPod touch the year after & an iPhone 3GS for birthday/Christmas in 2009. The Windows PC I got the year I received the iPod Nano died by the summer of 2010, so I bought a used MacBook Pro off eBay & haven’t owned a PC since.

I think mine & my brother’s iPod Nanos still work (if I still have them). I know my iPod touch does.

Last edited:

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
i remember.. iPod had a pretty strong flex ehh in my school. iPod 5.5g gang.. where you at !!

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
Apple could revive the iPod if they decided to embrace hifi and make a balanced-output DAP capable of playing “audiophile” formats as well as making these available on Apple Music (ALAC, MQA, DSD). I know it’s a niche market, I’m just saying. It would appeal to me. :)

Reactions: BulkSlash and yurc

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
I use a 7th gen Nano for running. It’s small and light and a great running companion. Sure an Apple Watch is arguably better, but the nano was $30 used.

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
I still have an iPod Nano 6G. I like the idea that I've been wearing it like a smartwatch for longer than actual Apple Watches have existed.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
My first Apple device was a 3rd generation nano. Now... dozens and dozens of devices later! They hooked me in with the nano!
[automerge]1599020938[/automerge]
I still have an iPod Nano 6G. I like the idea that I've been wearing it like a smartwatch for longer than actual Apple Watches have existed.

I remember when the Nano 6G was out and people started wearing them as watches and the whole Apple Watch rumors started then.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
What an iconic device! These were my youth. I did some retail therapy when I broke up with my first girlfriend and got the 1st gen iPod nano, with Nike+ pod that I put in my shoe. Hit the Gym, lost a lot of weight and got fit. Then I got the third-gen fatty, which I played the rhythm game every day on the train to work. I eventually gave that one to my parents which they still use to this day. Fantastic devices!
I don't know, the iPhones can now do everything, they don't have the soul that comes with a device built for a specific purpose.

I would kill for an iPod that did spotify and offline play.

tonywalker23

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
SC
... with Nike+ pod that I put in my shoe...

lol, I havent thought of that shoe pod in years.

my entrance was in 2003. I had just started college the fall prior, and I got a 12" PowerBook G4, 3rd Gen 10GB iPod, Brenthaven case, AppleWorks CD, and Canon printer. The college deal was going on and I got the mac at a discount, the ipod for free, the appleworks software cheap, and free printer. Back then the edu discounts were huge.

Reactions: TheFluffyDuck

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
End of an era indeed. I remember going to the Pasadena Apple store to get my first iPod and picking up nanos through the years. A fun time to be an Apple person. Before the iPod I remember scores of absolutely horrible MP3 players that were such a pain to use....oh well... As More would say "Nano-Nano" (I know that's not what he really said!)

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
It's a shame Apple doesn't license this tech to a boutique manufacturer.

I loved the days of having a music-only dedicated device so that I could lose myself in my own personal soundtrack.

No distractions. Pure musical joy.

I still do that with one of these

It plays music. That’s all it does and it does it brilliantly!
I also used to have a higher end Sony ZX507 but it uses Android and is less focused on simply playing music (not to mention having a poor battery life because of that) and I love the simplicity and quality of this sub £200 device

I love listening to music for its own sake and while I have an Apple Music subscription and use it on my phone in the car, I still buy lots of music in lossless format and the vast majority of time I listen to it on that device where I can appreciate it without distraction and as the artist intended it to sound

Last edited:

audiokid

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Bought my 6th generation Nano just for the FM tuner, loved it! Wish a current Apple product had a radio receiver.

kingax1

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2017
New York
I still do that with one of these

It plays music. That’s all it does and it does it brilliantly!
I also used to have a higher end Sony ZX507 but it uses Android and is less focused on simply playing music (not to mention having a poor battery life because of that) and I love the simplicity and quality of this sub £200 device

I love listening to music for its own sake and while I have an Apple Music subscription and use it on my phone in the car, I still buy lots of music in lossless format and the vast majority of time I listen to it on that device where I can appreciate it without distraction and as the artist intended it to sound

I use that very Sony A45, I was a long time iPod user but just dropping in folders and the simple ability to backup your files that you have edited just for the player makes it far more better than using a iPod. Ive gone through several 30gb-160gb ipods that Ive either broke or lost and it took ALOT of work to put my music collection back together. The Sony sounded way way better too.

Reactions: dan110 and Phil A.

Don1985

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2017
Paisley
Did these ever support Bluetooth?

If they released one that did, I’d be interested solely for workouts. I guess Apple Watch is a better cash cow for that.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Aah, the memories. The silver 2nd gen iPod Nano was my first Apple product ever, the gateway drug. My 4th gen Product Red Nano is still lying around somewhere, still looks and feels beautiful.

fonzy91

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
I love my iPhone 11 Pro and Apple, but damn, seeing the design changes these iPod wen through each year really makes me think at the iPhone and how it’s been practically looking the same for a loooong time. Steve or not, someone was pushing much harder for design refreshes back then.

Reactions: BulkSlash

Lozza013

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Melbourne Australia
For my 12th Birthday, I received a blue 2nd Gen iPod Nano for my birthday. It's sad there is no more iPods (Apart from the touch). I really think people would still buy them.

chucker23n1

macrumors 601
Dec 7, 2014
The nano 6G was kinda fun as a proto-Apple Watch, but the 6G and 7G, UI-wise, struck me as not making much sense. Clearly, the clickwheel was the more appropriate UI for a display this small than touch. It was very efficient and fun to navigate through large lists of songs that way.

On a bigger screen, yeah, touch makes sense. But on the iPod (leaving aside the iPod touch, which is more of an iPad micro, really), I think the clickwheel is the final form, not touch.

I had the original mini, the nano 1G, and the nano 4G. I think the mini/nano 4G design was my favorite, and I wish Macs would offer some of this (albeit perhaps with more subdued colors):

1599033801867.png

Turns out you can add a color to aluminum that isn't silver or darker silver. I know! It's amazing!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.