Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Declare Last iPod Nano Model 'Vintage' Later This Month

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I have a 2010 nano that I havent touched in many years. I charged it up recently, it works great and re-living the music i listened to then brought back some memories. RIP nano!

Reactions: viss and LizKat

tranceking26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
The Nano has always been great but one negative: because the 6th gen was so small, my brother lost his lol

Joniz

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
I still use my first-gen iPod Shuffle every day. It’s plugged into the top of a pair of speakers and plays a continuous loop of over an hour of white noise.

Wish Apple would update the things so they could play songs gapless. (That’s me being facetious.) (Tho it would be nice.) (But it’d never happen.) (Anyway…)

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
A shame these won’t exist anymore. I loved my first gen and would definitely get one for each of my kids in a while. They like music but have no need for the added features of an iPod touch.

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
The 4th Gen was a beautiful little device. I think my son probably still has it (in blue), though he tends to use higher-capacity players these days.

If they re-issued that one with a decent capacity I'd buy it for sure. But of course that wouldn't sell them any wireless headphones, apps or music subscriptions, so doesn't fit the current business.

Kaikidan

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2017
I have a 7a Gen nano, its so small and portable, I used it daily until 2018 I think, I would've used it to this day if it had more storage than 16gb. Nowadays I use a Sony walkman NWA45 with 128gb, there is a market for dedicated music players and I would buy a new ipod classic without regrets if apple decided to launch one.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2018
I still remember watching that video where Steve Jobs pulls out the first gen from a tiny pocket. Instantly wanted one (and loved it).

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2019
6th generation iPod nano was the original Apple Watch. I burned through three of them because I liked using them while running. I had some great watch cases for the device.
Yep, I knew immediately when it came out, that an Apple watch wasn't too far behind.

I prefer the square design of the nano though; I find the current watch a bit feminine for my taste.

Something like this with Apple's clever watchband design would be cool if they sold it alongside the current model's design (for those who prefer that design instead).

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Love my 2nd, 6th, 7th gen nanos and my shuffles, still use most of them at least a little during most weeks. They may be vintage class now, but there are still plenty times when all I need is access to some old favorite playlists, or FM radio in the case of the 6th and 7th gen ones. So these practically indestructible little gems still fill the bill after all these years. I keep some parked in 30-pin speaker-docks in a couple rooms where I don't think to bring an iPad or iPhone.

Spock

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Did these ever support Bluetooth?

If they released one that did, I’d be interested solely for workouts. I guess Apple Watch is a better cash cow for that.
Yes, the last generation has Bluetooth.

I wish they allowed the transfer of downloaded Apple Music to these, I would probably still use it. I like the iPod because it does one thing really well with no distractions. I don’t think there is a large enough market space right now for a new generation of iPod unfortunately. I always thought it would be cool for Apple to release a new iPod called the Omega and have a high end DAC with tons of storage, AirPlay 2 compatibility and iOS syncing. The final iPod, let it go out with a bang. Unfortunately, there’s no market for the iPod anymore. It’s only a matter of time before the iPod Touch is gone and the iPod will most likely go away with no mention, just like Mac OS X.

satchmo

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Apple Watch has kinda become the ultimate replacement if you think about it.

The writing was on the wall when 3rd party companies made straps that effectively made the 6th gen iPod nano into a watch.

While the Apple Watch does many things, I still find button based iPods better for running. Heck even an iPod Shuffle is perfect for quickly navigating with buttons.

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
my ipod shuffle was the best music player for my jogging
easy simple small
i lost one and the other has failed after years of great service

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
The writing was on the wall when 3rd party companies made straps that effectively made the 6th gen iPod nano into a watch.

While the Apple Watch does many things, I still find button based iPods better for running. Heck even an iPod Shuffle is perfect for quickly navigating with buttons.
AirPods are good for skipping tracks, but it can be awkward pressing them in the middle of a run.

Rojaaemon

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2016
They just worked!

Actually, my first one still does.

But the more complicated and expensive iPhones I replaced them with are full of bugs, which Apple seems to ignore while they make TV shows and other stuff. Like money. Apple makes tons of money.

phenste

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
First iPod (2nd gen, specifically). Eventually upgraded to 3rd gen, LOVED the ever-polarizing ”fat” design as a music video nerd. Was my first taste of what was to come with iPhone-sized screens (I know it technically came out after iPhone 2G, leave me alone). Will forever have a special place in my heart.

srbNYC

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Feeling nostalgic, just connected my 7th gen nano to my AirPods Pro. (Had to use the button on the back of the case.) Delightful.

BulkSlash

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
It’s a shame it’s not possible to upgrade the storage in the Nanos. I’ve upgraded my iPod Classic 7th Gen with 750GB of storage and it gets constant use.

Reactions: LizKat

macsound1

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Besides the money thing, that Apple's most popular product sells for, in some cases, 10x what an iPod sold for, I don't understand why Apple doesn't make a non-touch iPod that plays apple music.

I feel like there's tons of people, like me, who prefer to play music at home and work not from their iPhone. What I end up doing is keeping an old iPhone and iPad and pretty much only use them to play music.
Even though that market isn't as large as it was before, since everyone who wanted to listen to music had to use an iPod to do it, there's still plenty of "home listening" markets that are probably doing what I'm doing, but would be happy to shell out an extra $150 every couple years.

Also exercising. Still at the gym, I don't exercise with my primary phone because I don't want a text or call during my workout. So again, an old iPhone or iPod is what accompanies me. Something small and light that I can change tracks without looking is what I desire.

Reactions: LizKat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.