Apple to Donate to Southern and Northern California Fire Relief Efforts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:52 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to donate to fire relief efforts in Northern and Southern California, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced on Twitter this morning.

It continues to be fire season in California, and right now, the dry, windy weather has led to three major fires in the state. The Camp Fire, north of Sacramento, has burned upwards of 70,000 acres, with residents of Chico and Paradise being evacuated. Many homes have been destroyed in Paradise, California.

[​IMG]
    The Woolsey Fire in Southern California, via CNN

In Southern California, the Hill Fire and Woolsey Fire are raging in Los Angeles and Ventura counties. The Woolsey Fire is approaching Malibu, a well-known area of Los Angeles, and residents are being evacuated. Upwards of 75,000 homes in Ventura and Los Angeles counties have already been evacuated and some structures have reportedly been destroyed.

Santa Ana winds that exacerbate the fires are expected to continue through Friday and into Saturday, with a second round of winds forecasted to start on Sunday and last through Tuesday.

Apple often provides aid during serious environmental disasters. Late last year and earlier this year, Apple donated several million towards fire relief aid for other fires that impacted California.

Article Link: Apple to Donate to Southern and Northern California Fire Relief Efforts

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I read that it was spreading at a rate of 80 football fields per minute. That’s absurd.

3. ThisBougieLife, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 3:12 PM

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

^Yep. The entire city of Paradise, CA is gone.

The fire in Ventura County is burning right near the area where the mass shooting was. Insane.

This kind of thing is only going to get worse with climate change. The entire state is becoming a desert. My area got less rain than Las Vegas in 2015.

4. corebeliefs macrumors regular

corebeliefs

I live near the northern CA fires and breathed 300 on the smoke index for weeks (and 150-250 for months). This announcement feels more genuine to me, than the hurricane announcement that included the amount of one million. A general statement shows generosity of spirit, a stated amount unintentionally or not suggests the donation is making a certain impact, which can lead to a debate about how much that will really do. (If you're giving $500 million, sure, that is not debatable.)

5. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

It's so scary when it get so dry and windy like this. Everything is so unpredictable and the fires spread like crazy. I used to live in San Diego and had to evacuate a couple of times. Truly terrifying.

6. weup togo macrumors 6502

Tim's $1M "donate now" button is getting a workout this year.

7. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

8. tnsmart macrumors 6502

Because you are converting from square feet to square miles, you have to divide by 5280^2:

6,635,520,000/(5280^2) = 238 square miles per day. Still don't know if that number is correct, but it's a whole lot closer.

9. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

10. Emanuel Rodriguez macrumors member

Emanuel Rodriguez

Whoops, did that wrong. You are correct. xD

11. SamRyouji macrumors member

SamRyouji

Well...at least we finally saw where those price hikes on iDevices going. It's for the greater good such as this aid and other disaster reliefs.

12. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

What happened to forrest fire bear? “Only you can preven the fire.” He probably got burned up as well.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

14. JustaTecho macrumors newbie

Ok it's one thing to joke about Apple, but these are peoples lives and homes... Showing some compassion would get you a lot more likes.

15. Morgenland, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:47 AM
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 8:40 PM
  16. darkarn macrumors 6502a

Pardon my language but damn that looks really like hell on earth, stay safe everyone!

17. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I lived in Paradise for 3 or 4 years when I was little. Loved that place. Very sad.

18. bjoswald macrumors regular

bjoswald

19. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

I hope everyone here who lives or has family/friends in the affected areas are safe.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm a fan of lemurs, and they are in the news today, as one of the first animals to be evacuated from the Los Angeles zoo as fire approached.

L. A. Times news story

21. Tivoli_ macrumors newbie

So how much the Trillion Dollar company is donating?

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Anything is better than nothing.

23. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

I have friends and family that live in Paradise and had to evacuate with fire on both sides of the road and burning embers hitting their car, not knowing if they'd make it out in time. Luckily they did. While they've likely lost everything at least I know they are safe. Thoughts go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

24. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

That doesn’t matter, at least they’re donating.

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There are now 100,000 people in evaluation zones from the Woolsey Fire (west of Los Angeles) alone.

I have a number of friends who have evacuated, and some poised to evacuate.

Since the fire has moved into ritzy areas like the city of Malibu, celebrities are reporting to their fans how they are affected. Reportedly, Caitlyn Jenner lost her house, while Lady Gaga, Melissa Etheridge, Guillermo del Toro, Kim Kardashian West, and others have evacuated theirs.