Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
In time for upgrading my M1 Max to what ever Mx Max Apple releases in 2026.

I was just thinking that on my M1 Pro.

I have no need to upgrade but would consider it for improved battery life, particularly with the additional efficiency cores. The timing wouldn't be bad for 2026 as that would be 5 years. I'd keep the old one to use as I often prefer having two screens on the road.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
The hype around sub nm chips is going to be huge. The kind of pointless tech marketing buzz we used to see in the 90s.

Reactions: killawat

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
The hype around sub nm chips is going to be huge. The kind of pointless tech marketing buzz we used to see in the 90s.

People are already crapping their pants over nanometers even though it means nothing. Whatever it takes for people to open their wallets. Some people need very little convincing.

See: The Megahertz Myth

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
People are already crapping their pants over nanometers even though it means nothing. Whatever it takes for people to open their wallets. Some people need very little convincing.

See: The Megahertz Myth

We'll get a preview of improvements for Macs on the iPhone release before the macOS release.

I upgrade to the 2021 MacBook Pro 16 from the 2015. When Apple puts in enough things that I'd like, then I'll upgrade. I'm on 5 nm now and so going to 3 or 2 has a benefit for me. A larger benefit may come from going from 2 to 6 e cores because most of what I do can run fine on the e cores. 2026 may be long enough for their next redesign too. I really like the current chassis though there are a few other things that I'd like: a USB-A port, getting rid of the notch, a 17 inch screen, the glowy Apple on the top.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

Apple will be the first company to receive chips built on the TSMC's future 2-nanometer process, DigiTimes said today. According to sources that spoke to the site, Apple is "widely believed to be the initial client to utilize the process."

Apple-Silicon-Teal-Feature.jpg

The report comes from DigiTimes "Tomorrow's Headlines" alert, so additional details may be available in the full news story.

TSMC is expected to begin producing 2nm chips starting in the second half of 2025. Terms like "3nm" and "2nm" refer to the specific architecture and design rules TSMC is using for a family of chips. Decreases in node size correspond to a smaller transistor size, so more transistors can fit on a processor, leading to boosts in speed and more efficient power consumption.

This year, Apple adopted 3-nanometer chips for its iPhones and Macs. Both the A17 Pro chip in the iPhone 15 Pro models and the M3 series chips in Macs are built on the 3-nanometer node, an upgrade over the prior 5nm node. The jump from 5nm technology to 3nm technology brought notable 20 percent faster GPU speeds, 10 percent faster CPU speed, and a 2x faster Neural Engine to the iPhone, and similar improvements on Macs.

TSMC is building two new facilities to accommodate 2nm chip production, and working on approval for a third. TSMC generally builds new fabs when it needs to increase production capacity to handle significant orders for chips, and TSMC is expanding in a major way for 2nm technology. The transition to 2nm will see TSMC adopting GAAFET (gate-all-around field-effect transistors) with nanosheets instead of FinFET, so the manufacturing process will be more complex. GAAFETs allow for faster speeds with a smaller transistor size and lower operational voltage.

TSMC is spending billions on the change, and Apple will also need to make chip design changes to accommodate the new technology. Apple is TSMC's main client, and it is typically the first to get TSMC's new chips. Apple acquired all of TSMC's 3-nanometer chips in 2023 for iPhones, iPads, and Macs, for example.

In between the 3nm and 2nm nodes, TSMC will introduce several new 3nm improvements. TSMC has already come out with N3E and N3P chips that are enhanced 3nm processes, and there are other chips in the works such as N3X for high performance computing and N3AE for automotive applications.

Rumors suggest that TSMC is already starting work on more advanced 1.4-nanometer chips, which are expected to come out as soon as 2027. Apple is said to be looking to reserve TSMC's initial manufacturing capabilities for both 1.4nm and 1nm technologies.

Article Link: Apple to Get TSMC's First 2-Nanometer Chips

Wow - that's getting so small and so far ahead of all other Silicon foundries, or whatever they are called.

Excellent!

TSM stock sure deserves to be way higher - it's been held back for a couple years! It's not right!

TSM makes ALL the best chips for INTC. ALL the best stuff for NVIDA. Not sure about Bitmain these days. All Apple stuff. Who else? Oh AMD! It's ALL TSM inside right?

And TSM stock?......

Reactions: killawat

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Wow - that's getting so small and so far ahead of all other Silicon foundries, or whatever they are called.

Excellent!

TSM stock sure deserves to be way higher - it's been held back for a couple years! It's not right!

TSM makes ALL the best chips for INTC. ALL the best stuff for NVIDA. Not sure about Bitmain these days. All Apple stuff. Who else? Oh AMD! It's ALL TSM inside right?

And TSM stock?......

There is some non-zero possibility of China invading Taiwan and you have to temper for that risk-factor.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
There is some non-zero possibility of China invading Taiwan and you have to temper for that risk-factor.

Yah - I guess that has been the excuse/reasoning.

I recommended TSM to a friend at like $120 a couple years ago, and I felt sure it deserved to be $160. I felt that people were then talking about INTC Arizona plant building and I was like - what about TSM in Arizona? and what about the nanometers gap between all other silicon makers? Anyways - I still am a big believer and holding TSM - it just takes longer to catch. That's my working theory.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The physical limit is around 1nm for silicon so we are probably headed to quantum within 15 years.
No no no . Once again, 5nm, 3nm, 2nm, etc. are not representative of actual physical dimensions. These are just marketing terms. They do provide indication of which is smaller than the next, but it is not related to the size of the transistors or gap size or any other physical dimension within the Chip.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yah - I guess that has been the excuse/reasoning.

I recommended TSM to a friend at like $120 a couple years ago, and I felt sure it deserved to be $160. I felt that people were then talking about INTC Arizona plant building and I was like - what about TSM in Arizona? and what about the nanometers gap between all other silicon makers? Anyways - I still am a big believer and holding TSM - it just takes longer to catch. That's my working theory.

Just looked at Intel and they're up about 90% from last March.

I personally don't get it but they were the stock to buy last year.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I was just thinking that on my M1 Pro.

I have no need to upgrade but would consider it for improved battery life, particularly with the additional efficiency cores. The timing wouldn't be bad for 2026 as that would be 5 years. I'd keep the old one to use as I often prefer having two screens on the road.
I usually upgrade after 5 years of professional use and 3 years as Home/backup server. Only exception was my 2019 MBP, ran hot, loud and throttled all the time under load. I just hope Apple can support more memory and keep improving GPU.

_Mitchan1999

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2024
How much smaller can it get? I thought the A14/M1 chip was as small as it can technically get.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Just looked at Intel and they're up about 90% from last March.

I personally don't get it but they were the stock to buy last year.
They merely recovered from the losses in 2022:

1706135515487.png

Investors lost faith, then regained faith. Q3 earnings exceeded expectations. Intel is building out their foundry business, so more competition for TSMC. X86 CPUs are slowly catching up to AMD. Plus they are profiting from Nvidia supply shortages for AI chips. 2024 could be looking good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.