Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone-5s.jpg
Apple is planning to hold an iPhone upgrade event at its stores this week in an effort to boost sales, a source told 9to5Mac. Starting this week, Apple will be emailing owners of older iPhone models who are upgrade eligible about the new event, and will apparently separate from Apple's current iPhone trade-in program.
This event will be held in multiple states across the United States, and Apple is said to be preparing for an influx of visitors to its stores on the levels of traffic driven to stores for new product debuts. Apple will brief Apple Retail management on the initiative tomorrow, according to the source.
Apple will be launching other new marketing and sales initiatives to help increase iPhone sales as well. There's no word on what types of marketing and initiatives Apple could use, but they will be tied to Apple's retail stores.

New Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts, who officially joined the company on May 1 and began her first full week today, will oversee the program.

Apple once again noted that iPhone sales hit another record for Q2 2014, making up 57 percent of Apple's sales for the quarter for all products. CEO Tim Cook also noted in the conference call that Apple has started selling iPhone 4's in the "very, very low single digit percentage" and last year said he wanted to sell more iPhones in stores.

Article Link: Apple to Host iPhone Upgrade Event at Retail Stores

trevorlsciact

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Orlando FL
Awesome, I'm glad she's bringing some of the practices of higher end retail stores to Apple. Events are a great way to make numbers happen. It can be the difference between beating LY, or plan, or whatever numbers you are going against, or not.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Awesome, I'm glad she's bringing some of the practices of higher end retail stores to Apple. Events are a great way to make numbers happen. It can be the difference between beating LY, or plan, or whatever numbers you are going against, or not.

I agree. I'm looking forward to what she will do for Apple retail. And as a shareholder I would agree with the strategy of increasing sales through Apple stores. It can only help the margins. Plus, the best way to retain customers is to make sure you're the ones servicing them when they have issues.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I wonder what new incentives Apple will offer to those that receive an email....

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
I guess Apple doesn't want current iPhone model sales to fall off a cliff as people are becoming more aware of iPhone 6. They may already be seeing that people are holding off and playing the waiting game for iPhone 6.

For those that can't wait, it will be a great opportunity to get a good deal on the current models.

-ITG

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
Wow... why?

Everyone that wants an iPhone 5S in the USA already must have bought one.

If I were her, I would make more of these promotions in countries where they sell more unlocked phones.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What is an upgrade event? Do the eligible people get a discount or special promotion?

I wondered that. The article doesn't outline what exactly Apple will do for such an event. I can't see them doing much more than an ordinary trade in, maybe with just a different name to make people feel better...:rolleyes:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I wondered that. The article doesn't outline what exactly Apple will do for such an event. I can't see them doing much more than an ordinary trade in, maybe with just a different name to make people feel better...:rolleyes:

If all they are doing is notifying people who should already know they are eligible for an upgrade and nothing else, it really doesn't sound like an "event". Special deals or discounts, upgrade and get a $50 iTunes gift etc would make it an event, IMO.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If all they are doing is notifying people who should already know they are eligible for an upgrade and nothing else, it really doesn't sound like an "event". Special deals or discounts, upgrade and get a $50 iTunes gift etc would make it an event, IMO.

I agree. I forgot about iTunes cards, I could defiantly see that. Its a win-win for them.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
What level of foolish do you have to be to buy into a soon to be obsolete device that will further be crippled by a forced iOS8 upgrade and virtually bricked in 2015 when iOS9 is forced upon it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.