Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple for a limited time will increase the trade-in value for older iPhones when customers buy any iPhone 15 model in the U.S. and Canada.

iPhone-Trade-In-Box.jpg

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports that Apple will soon boost the credit paid for older iPhones when customers buy an iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, or iPhone 15 Pro Max.

The offer does not apply to other devices in Apple's smartphone lineup, including the iPhone 14, iPhone 13, and iPhone SE (4th generation).

Gurman did not mention the new values of old iPhones in its trade-in program, only that they will increase as of Monday, May 20, with the offer continuing through to Monday, June 3.

Apple currently offers the following credit values for older iPhones as part of its trade-in program:
  • iPhone SE (3rd generation): Up to $160
  • iPhone 13 mini: Up to $270
  • iPhone 13: Up to $300
  • iPhone 13 Pro: Up to $370
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max: Up to $450
  • iPhone 14: Up to $370
  • iPhone 14 Plus: Up to $420
  • iPhone 14 Pro: Up to $520
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max: Up to $630
Trade-ins can be completed on Apple's website or at an Apple Store, and the credit can be applied towards the purchase of a new Apple product, or placed on an Apple gift card for later use. Apple's trade-in page offers a complete list of values for devices.

Article Link: Apple to Increase Old iPhone Trade-In Values for iPhone 15 Customers

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Id rather hand it down to someone in my family, sell it online or donate it.
Apples prices are still ridiculously low.

Handing down is bad for the environment (business) because it's denying Apple sales it deserves for creating these amazing products. If yous send them to Apple, they will either disassemble and recycle, or refurbish parts to sell to a new customer. Yes you might make a little less cash, but you are guaranteed to avoid sending it to the landfill with Apple's environmentally friendly processes.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
Id rather hand it down to someone in my family, sell it online or donate it.
Apples prices are still ridiculously low.
It's especially ridiculous with how adamant Apple is that its increasingly utilizing more and more parts from older devices and recycling them for materials used in brand new devices.

Unless these recycling processes are actually more expensive and energy inefficient than making and sourcing new parts and materials, then Apple has to be earning a good bit on the products that consumers hand in to them.

I have to imagine that Apple deducts the perceived costs of product recycling and handling from the trade-in value. If not, then they must be earning a good deal on selling refurbished and whatever materials they can source from non-refurbishable devices.

It just doesn't add up to me. Trade-in values are just too low.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want what Apple would offer you if they did accept it.

You'll be much better off selling it second hand.
with the increase in theft from UPS and Fedex drivers with Apple products, I don’t trust sending third parties anything now. Multiple of my iPhone trade ins directly to Apple were stolen by UPS and Apple honored the trade in anyway so that assurance is why I prefer Apple Trade In.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I own both the iPhone 15 Pro max and the Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra.
The Samsung is better any aspect esp. the AI features are superior.
The only drawback is the lack of integration in the Apple ecosystem.

Which is why I won’t bother switching for the moment. I’m too heavily invested in the platform and too used to the heavy integration across my many iOS based devices and my two Macs.

With that being said AI could be the “killer app” that gets me to give Android and Samsung another shot or potentially to give Android plus a Google Pixel a first shot. Apples partnership with Open AI better result in a tangibly better version of Siri or I’ll look elsewhere seriously for the first time.

I just bought the iPhone 15 last year and an AVP this year so I’ll stick with Apple and the iPhone 15 for another year if the AI in iOS 18 is marked improvement as I don’t expect perfection given how far behind they are and I like to capture spatial video but if they aren’t caught up by iOS 19 I’m taking a good hard look at alternatives in the smart phone and smart watch departments.

I love the idea of Siri in theory but have come to hate it in practice because it feels ages behind other assistants and has for years now.

It’s 2024 and I can’t ask follow up questions on a regular basis or I have to go pickup my iPhone 80% of the time for it to look something up via Siri that can easily be described audibly?

2016 called. They’d like their voice “assistant” back and I use that term very loosely in Siri’s case.

I'd like to tell whoever at Apple kept making the unwise decision to stick with Siri year after year for all of these years instead of recognizing its limitations and doing a total rewrite to go play in traffic. I kid … I kid…. 😝 … but not about the potentially switching part. Apple likely has me for two more years. No more but potentially less if iOS 18 is laughing stock in the AI department after all the AI hype out of Cupertino.

Reactions: TMax

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Great time to trade in your devices now that 17.5 has been released! Every traded-in phone has the potential of a surprise payload for the new owner.

"Introducing the iPhone Photos starter collection. Instead of having to take a selection of your own photos to start your library, we are using AI and machine learning to magically retina spatial a photo collection of friends, family and body parts you may not know... but your actual friends won't know that.* Only Apple can do such wonders. We think you'll love it."

*unless one of them used to own your refurbed device

;)

• Haha
Reactions: katbel

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The headline is incorrect, should be:

The Company that Handles Trade-ins for Apple to Increase Old iPhone Trade-In Values for iPhone 15 Customers​

I was told three years ago that they are phasing out the trade-in company. I certainly hope so, they tried to defraud me out of my phone. It was only finally resolved when I refused the trade-in and they couldn't locate the phone to send back to me (probably because it had already been stolen by the scammer at the trade-in center.)

Reactions: nordique
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.