MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is rumored to be planning to invest 4 trillion won ($3.6 billion) in Kia Motors as part of a planned manufacturing partnership between the two companies, according to Korean site DongA Ilbo (via Bloomberg).

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-triad.jpg

Apple and Kia (an affiliate of Hyundai) are said to be establishing a production relationship that will see Kia build Apple Cars at its U.S. facility located in Georgia.

Apple could sign a deal with Kia as soon as February 17, with the aim of introducing Apple Cars in 2024, though that release timeline is earlier than some prior launch estimates. Apple and Kia are aiming to produce 100,000 vehicles per year when manufacturing kicks off.

There have been multiple reports of a partnership between Apple and Hyundai, and prior reports have suggested that Hyundai's Kia brand will handle manufacturing. Earlier in January, Korea IT News also said that electric vehicles manufactured by Apple would likely be made at Kia's Georgia factory.

When rumors of talks between Hyundai and Apple first hit, Hyundai confirmed that it was holding discussions with Apple, but later revised the statement and eliminated the Apple mention.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today that Apple is planning to collaborate with Hyundai and will use Hyundai's E-GMP battery electric vehicle platform for its first vehicle chassis in addition to using the Kia factory for U.S. production. Kuo believes an Apple Car will come in 2025 "at the earliest" but Apple is already on a tight schedule if it wants to meet that deadline, so a launch could be pushed back further.

Article Link: Apple to Invest $3.6 Billion in Kia Motors for Apple Car Production

Last edited:

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
I still can’t see Apple making a car. Just seems like an investor pipe dream.

I will add, after thinking about it for a bit, I CAN see Apple licensing an advanced version of CarPlay with assisted driving and Apple Maps tied closely together. Take it a step further and the system may even have some type of Augmented Reality heads up display in the windshield also. Also thinking smart phone unlocking and digital car keys would be part of the system as well. Apple's investment with KIA may be to have them build one of the first cars with this advanced CarPlay system built right in. It will still be branded a KIA vehicle but probably advertised with 'Apple Smart Drive' or whatever it ends up being called.

Last edited:

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I really can’t frame this contextually because relative to Apple’s price points on it current hardware, I’m ballparking their car to be about $250k. So yeah, I’ve no idea what they have planned but if it’s that, I’m a no go.
As far as having Kia build it, so what? It’s not gonna be branded Kia any more than an iPhone is branded by Foxconn.

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011
I really can’t frame this contextually because relative to Apple’s price points on it current hardware, I’m ballparking their car to be about $250k. So yeah, I’ve no idea what they have planned but if it’s that, I’m a no go.
As far as having Kia build it, so what? It’s not gonna be branded Kia any more than an iPhone is branded by Foxconn.
Sure. But will it be bolted like a Kia?

steve09090

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Nothing says 'this is our first attempt' like Kia.

Maybe I am being harsh. Is Kia a premium vehicle now? Last I checked speakers were options.
Mercedes in Germany & Jeep in the USA are rated well below Kia (in top position) in reliability.

Hyundai's Genesis is rated the highest of any luxury car for reliability. And of course, Hyundai own Kia. So I reckon Apple are in pretty good hands.

Edit: Genesis was rated best premium brand for the last 4 years!

Double Edit: Here is the actual report: https://www.jdpower.com/sites/default/files/file/2020-06/2020070 U.S. IQS.pdf

Last edited:

BaltimoreMediaBlog

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
There are 5 rules of Apple Car.

#1 You are not allowed to talk about Apple Car.
#2 You are not allowed to drive Apple Car even if it exists as Apple Car only drives itself.
#3 Apple reserves the right to deny anyone entrance Apple Car or attempting to drive it.
#4 If you add a spoiler, radio, or dancing Hawaiian girl bobble toy on the dashboard to Apple Car, you will void the warranty of Apple Car.
#5 See Rule #1.

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004

Maybe I am being harsh. Is Kia a premium vehicle now? Last I checked speakers were options.
They’ve come quite a long way from their first car introduced in America. Those cars would just start falling apart after a year of driving but that was the early 90s. They’re slowly shedding their crappy car image from that time. Soon, they’re rebranding with a new logo too that looks much better than the current oval one. Their Telluride SUV is a sharp looking ride and has won many awards. (No I don’t work for Kia, I just follow auto industry news for my job) ;)

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Mercedes in Germany & Jeep in the USA are rated well below Kia (in top position) in reliability.

Hyundai's Genesis is rated the highest of any luxury car for reliability. And of course, Hyundai own Kia. So I reckon Apple are in pretty good hands.

Double Edit: Here is the actual report: https://www.jdpower.com/sites/default/files/file/2020-06/2020070 U.S. IQS.pdf
My boss just bought a new 2021 Genesis GV80. Hot damn it’s a nice looking SUV! It’s got crazy luxury features all over the place inside too.

williamyx

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
3.6 bil for a low vol car, especially when only spare manufacturing capacity is being used? Color me surprised. Perhaps this is a stock pump

Reactions: FightTheFuture

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011

JD Power.

Ken88

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2020
Hopefully kia just handles the production and apple designs the whole car instead of ripping one off of the kia lineup.
I am sure Apple people will do most of designing while Kia or Hyundai people will do actual manufacturing labor..can’t wait to see how each company split the profits..50-50, 60-40 Apple or Hyundai or 65-35 Apple or Hyundai..we should know more info once AFTER they sign an agreement as soon as February 17th 2021..personally I am not a big of EV car.

humankapital

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I have to say I don’t see it coming. Apple is used to crazy margins, in the auto sector you can usually only dream of such margins.
Unless you are Porsche - but even then you don’t have these margins on a car basis.

Of course I am rooting for Apple to build one and move the industry - especially with electric vehicles - further.

Scoob Redux

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2020

While my personal cars are Porsche and Tesla, I rent a lot of cars when I travel for work and I love Kia. I always choose them when possible over the alternatives in their categories. Fit and finish as well as features are excellent. This isn't Kia of the old days :)

ghanwani

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2008
My non-expert thoughts...

To those who think Apple can't build a premium car in partnership with Kia --

They are investing a huge amount of money in Kia. This means that they are getting Kia to upgrade their manufacturing equipment and operations up to what Apple needs. Apple is hiring folks from premium manufacturers that know and understand what is involved in building quality vehicles.

Kia doesn't know how to design cars. Their cars are a hodge podge of design elements borrowed from other cars. That's where Apple comes in.

To those who think Apple can't play in a market with tight margins --

Remember that before the iPhone, margins on phones (including existing smartphones at the time) weren't all that great either.

What Apple is really good at is in figuring out the ecosystem and bringing innovations that allow cost cutting without cheapening. I think they will be successful.

Wall St. doesn't seem to buy it and that IMO is a good thing. Otherwise it would unnecessarily create tremendous pressure.

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Will this be 'the' Apple Car or is this like the Motorola Rokr where Apple just tried their hand in a new market with a JV just to turn up a few years later with their own production and blow everyone away?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.