MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will make Munich its European Silicon Design Center, the company announced today. Work already being undertaken by Apple in Bavaria's capital is contributing to its custom Apple silicon designs, while the expansion, together with additional investment in R&D, will exceed 1 billion euros in the next three years.

apple_germany-silicon-design-center_new-facility-rendering_03102021.jpg

Apple says the new state-of-the-art facility will bring hundreds of new jobs to the area, which is already Apple's largest engineering hub in Europe, with around 1,500 engineers from 40 countries working in a variety of areas including power management design and application processors. The new facility will house employees who will focus on connectivity and wireless technologies.
"I couldn't be more excited for everything our Munich engineering teams will discover — from exploring the new frontiers of 5G technology, to a new generation of technologies that bring power, speed, and connectivity to the world," said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. "Munich has been a home to Apple for four decades, and we're grateful to this community and to Germany for being a part of our journey."
The new, 30,000-square-meter facility is located in central Munich's Karlstrasse, and will be home to Apple's growing cellular unit, Europe's largest R&D site for mobile wireless semiconductors and software. Teams there will create 5G and future technologies, and focus on developing, integrating, and optimizing wireless modems for Apple products.

Apple plans to start moving into the new building in late 2022, and like all Apple offices globally, it will run entirely on 100 percent renewable energy.

Apple says it has spent over 15 billion euros with more than 700 companies of all sizes across Germany. This includes the chip manufacturer Infineon, battery company Varta, and the family-owned chemical company DELO, which is delivering resin for Face ID technology in products like the iPhone 12.

Article Link: Apple to Invest Over 1 Billion Euros in Munich Silicon Design Center

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I bet this would have been in the UK had they not brexited. I mean it is the home of ARM after all and Apple is an English speaking company from America so there would be a lot of synergy there.

Comment

joecomo

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
From the quality of life aspect - this is looks like a great place to work - and it is perfectly situated within the City.
Not as "artsy" as Berlin - but with great weather, beautiful surroundings, somehow capable government and nice architecture. Well done Apple!

Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
I bet this would have been in the UK had they not brexited. I mean it is the home of ARM after all and Apple is an English speaking company from America so there would be a lot of synergy there.

Possibly, although the main reason is likely that Munich is already home to a lot of wireless engineering talent. Apple already has a GPU design centre in the UK at St Albans:

Unfortunately Brexit does make it more difficult for companies to attract talent from the EU, as now prospective employees need to go through the process of applying for visas.

Last edited:
Comment

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
This is not for Apple Silicon it's for their modem silicon design …

But yes, they do need to add more office space outside the UK. From what I've heard, they've used their UK offices as the "waiting place" for engineers applying for an US visa. That no longer makes sense.

Comment

aknabi

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
No - it's because there was the old Siemens -> Infineon -> Intel Mobile -> Apple Mobile site at Neubiberg (Munich).
Yup... also lots of mobile expertise from Siemens mobile days (I left the US for Munich in '04 for Siemens Mobile)... lot of talent in Munich... but *very* expensive (and was a bit to buttoned-up and stuffy for my tastes, but if you have a family or love predictability and order it's heaven).

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Yup... also lots of mobile expertise from Siemens mobile days (I left the US for Munich in '04 for Siemens Mobile)... lot of talent in Munich... but *very* expensive (and was a bit to buttoned-up and stuffy for my tastes, but if you have a family or love predictability and order it's heaven).
:) I was also there for a few months about 8-9 years ago - great fan of Germany - but did not really enjoy living in Munich - some same thoughts as you regarding that, nor did I enjoy the big company "culture" at Intel Mobile

Comment

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

Not sure if you are kidding about the common language bit but I imagine that would be way, way down the priority list of deciding factors, if at all. Setup cost, tax liabilities and available local talent being much higher up.

Reactions: Nosmo King
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.