Apple to Invite Hollywood Stars to TV Service Launch on March 25 [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2019.

1. legionsunited macrumors newbie

legionsunited

2. ChrisNH macrumors regular

ChrisNH

The reason rags like the NYT and WaPo are struggling is because people refuse to pay for what THOSE outlets consider news, with THEIR bias added for good measure. I won’t pay for ‘Apple News’ because it will be three stories about why the ‘Green Deal’ is great and five stories about why Trump is bad. Good luck to them though

3. Newton1600 macrumors member

Newton1600

I really hope apple comes out with a book subscription that includes audiobooks! Also think news and magazines could be one subscription, or at least have separate subscription options under a single unified app (APPLE NEWS). Would be nice if bundles for Apple Music + Apple News (News + Magazines) + Apple Streaming were available at a slight discount, they could include storage options too?

4. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

Yes, it will be politically correct.

5. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

BigBoy2018

The new Apple:

Star ****ers who make faulty laptops.

6. shiseiryu1 macrumors 6502a

As an Apple fan I'm really hoping that these services aren't super crappy for a bloated price. Having heard previous rumors about how Apple's video creations so far are equivalent to "very expensive NBC" I'm not that excited.

It would be great if Apple would use their power and influence to help the publishing industry. Magazines are hurting and news outlets are hurting. I'm disappointed to hear that Apple is trying to squeeze blood from an onion instead of building a sustainable model where great content can be created.

I guess this is what happens when you have a bunch of bean counters running the company and not creative/visionary people.

7. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

I would not pay for news service either but your example of NYT and WaPo struggling is really way off. They might be struggling but at least they have paid subscriptions. Their ideological counterparts on the other hand (like Washington Examiner and NY Post) can't find anyone to pay them. So, it's not clear to me which bias sells better.

8. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

It’s a press event so Apple can better communicate their intent to the press with their own context, not a “You” event.

9. redneckitengineer macrumors 6502

redneckitengineer

And yet another subscription. Just a few years ago we complained as consumers about bundles being too expensive and here we are now with every single company aiming to nickel and dime you on subscriptions. If you add up the cost of all your individual $10+ subscriptions, I bet you're paying more than you did back then.

10. The Cappy macrumors regular

"There is some confusion over Apple's streaming TV plans. While Bloomberg's report suggests Apple's content will be delivered via paid streaming service, other rumors have indicated that Apple plans to provide at least some of its original content to Apple device owners for free."

Apple isn't planning to hugely expand its services revenue by spending lots of money to develop shows it gives away for free.

11. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I’ll start caring when Apple announces it.

I hope they don’t bring any of the “stars” to talk. Remember Drake with Apple Music? Now THAT was a dumpster fire. I don’t care to see Jennifer Anniston or anyone else on stage babbling.

Personally, I am interested in the news service. After initially grousing, I’ve come to enjoy the AppleNews app. I have enough TV content to fill my entertainment time.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2019 ---
    If the news publications you’ve mentioned are included for 10 bucks a month, it’s a no brainer even though it’s ALL FAKE NEWS (that was meant to be playful and not start a flame war).
    Who is the press supposed to communicate with?

I get WWDC having an intended audience, but for products and services WE (the consumers) are the intended audience. That’s part of the reason they stream these things.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That is the ONLY reason they stream anything like this. I'g guessing it comes out of the advertising budget.

With that aside. I'm curious to see what Apple has to offer. I cut my cable 4 months ago when i went with youtube TV.

13. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

Cable/Satellite are too expensive, go alternative like a tablet/roku or any internet device, there will be choice in programming where there is none with the others.

14. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

Wait for the Netflix cash crunch and stock dive. . . then Apple can buy Netflix.

15. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Wasn’t one of the issues in getting content providers to ink deals was that Apple needed worldwide rights: Apple Video Worldwide.

16. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I'm not so sure you can write it off as a service event. I do think Apple will want to keep the spotlight on the service, but it is an excellent opportunity to unveil some low-cost halo products that will attract non-Apple customers to the platform:

A low-cost Apple TV streaming stick as rumored, some Apple TV improvements to accommodate the new service and distinguish it from the streaming stick, an iPad mini, or iPod Touch as the perfect streaming companions, especially if the service is free on Apple products as rumored. They'll tout their partnerships with major TV manufacturers and then roll out their own products for TV customers who won't be getting native AirPlay/iTunes support. It's possible there's a least one must have device that excites people, but you're correct, the spotlight will be on the services -- accentuated by their recent decision not to break out individual product lines in their quarterly reports anymore.

17. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

You.

Most people are going to get news of this event from their news sources, such as TheVerge or youtube. Only a small number of people are going to actually watch the keynote live, much less sit through the entire duration.

18. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Anybody from The Walking Dead OR Game of Thrones ?

19. mcfrazieriv, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2019

mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

I'll die laughing if they brand the streaming media service: MUSIC TV or somehow loop in the iTunes.

20. pika2000 macrumors 603

But they are the ones holding the keys if Apple wants to be in that business. They’re the content owners.

Just like iTunes. Apple got iTunes Music store going because Jobs approached the music executives and labels. They’re the content owners.
    I still think this chasing Netflix thing is not a good idea for Apple. Licensing shows for streaming and making them are not cheap. Look at Netflix. They might seem popular, but their cash flow imo is not that great. They in fact need to keep on raising prices. Amazon made it look easy because their service is just a gateway for their e-commerce and cloud business.

Why don’t Apple look at iCloud first? iCloud definitely has much better margin for Apple, and they only need to spend a bit more to make it into a consumer friendlier competitor to Office 365.

21. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I doubt I'll watch a whole live stream devoted to products I only feel lukewarm about, but we'll see.

I am hoping WWDC will bring in a glut of new Macs. Now THAT I will watch start to finish.

22. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

This is just like netflix type of thing...so I would think it is a service thing.

23. ipponrg macrumors 65816

There is no value proposition in pivoting off iCloud since Apple is not a SaaS company. If Apple got into real services, you’d read a lot of articles of how behind they are with the rest of the competition.

24. pat500000, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2019

pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

You know...it’s interesting that you brought up siri. Apparently siri ended up in victim recovery help center.

(Scene)
    Siri: hi alexa. How are you?
    Alexa: (no response) (approaches siri)
    Siri: wha, what are you doing? Oh crap! (Beep) oh please (beep) (beep). Don’t hurt me...(beeeeeepppppp)

Hour later at victim recovery center

Siri: i’ve been.....vi...vio...violated. I can’t function.

You know what apple was known for? OS.

25. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I knew it.

Second prediction: we’ll see a new AppleTV announced at this event. Apple isn’t going to miss an opportunity to plug the AppleTV and they’re not going to pitch a 2 year old device with their brand new services.

In order to get maximum sales out of this new AppleTV, they’ll want to entice existing owners to upgrade. A new design will do that. I can see an AppleTV in a unibody enclosure that looks like a smaller Mac mini.

I’m less confident about an AppleTV dongle because Apple already brought all the major manufacturers on side with AirPlay built in going forward. That said, if an HDMI dongle is released, I’d imagine it’d come with the TV App built in and no tvOS App Store. The TV app would be its home screen. TV App + AirPlay for $99, 3 months of TV service included.