Apple to issue recall/new iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bcackerman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. bcackerman macrumors member

Does anyone else think Apple is going to have to seriously respond to the claims that the new phone has large reception issues?
    • What about the supposed "delay" in releasing the white version? Do you think it's because they want to fix one of the version's antenna issue before releasing?
    • And how come there is no stock 3 weeks after the launch of a very popular product? It doesn't make sense that there would be large of a shortage unless Apple was purposely holding the majority of stock back to fix the design issue
    • 2 lawsuits and counting, no free cases, "you're holding it the wrong way" responses...

I think also the release of the software update that doesn't fix the problem will stir up more controversy eventually resulting in some sort of recall/fix, opinions?

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Apple at this point can't afford to recall all iPhone's so they wont. I doubt it's needed anyway I think it's software.

3. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

LOL I think you are a bit late on the bandwagon. Its all errupted and calmed down here some time ago. The only replacement the iPhone 4 is going to have is the iPhone 5.

The only reason there is no stock is because the iPhone 4 has been selling like mad. Around 2 million so far or thereabouts.

Stop beating a dead horse, the issue has been covered to death and most people are well and truly over it.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No

To answer your question..... NO, it won;t be any recall. (at leaset not for the current "issues", maybe it they start bursting on fire, or overheating to the point of causing injuries)

My friend "Sir Ruben" here have the best statement i have read in a long time. :D

IT could be the iPhone 4G (LTE supported), or the iPhone 4GS or the iPhone HD ..but that is a topic for a whole new thread LOL

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Not a full recall, if they can narrow it down to a specific defective batch then they might but it wouldnt be for at least a couple months as they just dont have enough to phones to replace defective ones.

6. bcackerman thread starter macrumors member

I definitely think there is a clear reason why Apple isn't stocking any stores with phones 3 weeks after the launch, on top of the white phone being "delayed," is showing signs that something is up behind the scenes.

7. stphnman20 macrumors regular

I think they will have a recall but on only iphones/batch.

8. fishmoose macrumors 68000

They are just selling to damn many. They are launching in more countries this month to so supply is probably really low right now. As for the white one according to Apple they we're hard to manufacture.

9. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

You are very late to this party, dude. In fact, the party's over, and they are sweeping up the confetti.

In a word? No.

10. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Is this your first rodeo? Stock is always scarce for about 6-8 weeks following the launch. this one has been even worse because of the greater demand.

The white one Im sure was having soime sort of cosmetic isssue to cause its delay. Hardware wise it is the same as the black . The white products have always taken apple some trial and error to get them right. (i.e. no yellowing after 2 months of skin contact)

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nope. At best they'll extend the return time period and start waiving re-stocking fees. Basically, if you don't like it, sorry, we'll take it back.

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the white iPhone 4 was held up due to the "yellow glue" issue.

As for a recall, no. One day when we're old and gray and the class-action lawsuits make their way thru the courts, we'll probably all receive a voucher for a free bumper. That's it.

13. fender57 macrumors 6502

I read elsewhere that it might have something to do with the proximity sensor - the white face was wreaking havoc with light reflections and would not turn the screen off or some issue. Which may explain why the white iPhones have that little grill on top of the earpiece, where the black iPhones do not.

14. bcackerman thread starter macrumors member

I love the new phone but I honestly think people shouldn't be so attached to jobs' n*ts, take a step back and realize they should do something about a defective device. I'm just hoping Jobs will properly take care of the issue.

And as the large news outlets put more feeds out on the issue, the pressure on Apple to do something right will eventually boil over.

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It have nothing to do with Jobs, opinions or wishes, It all about money (like it always is). Recalling now near 4 millions units is not an option. Especially when they can make some changes to assembly lines, offer external solutions (bumpers) and mask some of the issue with software.

16. bcackerman thread starter macrumors member

Yeah sadly I agree that could possibly a sad 'fix'...glad I'm not an early adopter though.

17. Polarian Method macrumors newbie

Oh my god! There's some problem with the new iPhone? Why haven't I heard about this yet! They have to fix this RIGHT NOW or else I'm demanding a refund for every Apple product I ever bought!!!!!!111!!!

18. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

happy user here

AS many have mentioned anyways, all these issues have been more of a BUZZ than anything else. I am (kind of) early adopter, I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 first day I could (6/15), my order got delayed so i just got it last week.

I got a bumper on it (which I planned to used since I saw at the keynote on WDC). I have no Signal/Antenna issues, haven't had any additional call drops (I had the usual I always have had with AT&T and older phones), no yellow screen and my camera works flawless. no scratches or marks using my phone the same way I use all my phones (in my rear pocket, no keys or coins, always put it on the table when I sit).

just my $0.2

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I actually heard from one of the Apple reps (second tier tech) that there is some "mumblings" of a batch recall. Whether it's true or not only time will tell. It would be interesting to hear though.

20. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

highly doubt a re-call BUT rumor at the ATT Store said there might be an "adjustment" to the return policy for the i4. Speculation says the white i4s are going to be problem free and then the black...allowing customers to "exchange" w/no restocking fee, etc...

i don't know this will be interesting.

21. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling that instead of a recall they'll just figure out a way to fix it by hardware modifications and then have people bring it in to have it fixed.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That would imply a manufacturing error instead of a design flaw.

That would honestly be the best outcome. If they can prove that certain ones have it and certain ones don't.

I'm not holding my breath, but at this point I'm open to any possibility!

23. Oman macrumors regular

Apple just got Greedy, and instead of trying to make more money off those bumpers they should have been included with an iphone purchase. I dont particularly have this signal issue, but it is real and I can duplicate it myself. There is no fixing this issue because its a hardware problem not a software problem. I will not return my phone no matter what but I can see how this will be a problem for some folks and a deal breaker for others.

I also have the proxmity issue as do my GF, so apple have a lot of work to do an if they were not so secretive with their products these issues could have been discovered in wide scale testing.

24. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Its all going to come down to free bumpers to everybody that has an iPhone 4.

25. bcackerman thread starter macrumors member

Seems like it would be the best and makes sense the most.