Apple to Launch a White iPad 2?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is holding its iPad media event in just a couple of days. The rumors to date have been relatively modest for the iPad upgrade. The general consensus seems to be that the new iPad will be thinner, faster, and with improved (but not Retina display).

[​IMG]

If the latest Chinese iPad parts are to believed from iFixyouri/9to5, then Apple may be considering creating a white iPad 2 as well. The shown bezel does include a hole for a front-facing camera that is a widely expected feature of the iPad 2. The white coloring, however, has been a big issue for Apple with the iPhone 4. While they originally announced a white iPhone 4, they have yet to deliver it to customers. Rumors have suggested that Apple has had problems with the white paint process for the iPhone 4, so it's not clear if the materials or issues would be the same for the next iPad.

Apple's iPad-focused media event takes place on Wednesday, March 2nd in San Francisco. There are typically last minute rumors and leaks in the days leading into the final event. iPad 2 availability is expected shortly after the announcement, though we've heard no word of shipments targeted for Wednesday, so same day availability seems unlikely.

Article Link: Apple to Launch a White iPad 2?

2. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

I wonder if Apple will ever offer the option for a white bezel on their Macs as well?

3. some1uDNTknow macrumors regular

some1uDNTknow

They'll probably make us wait another few months for the white one. Then they'll decide to cancel it and reintroduce the white color with the iPad 3.

4. WaxMechaniK macrumors newbie

WaxMechaniK

Yikes, personally I don't like the idea of a white iPad at all!

5. Apple's B*tch macrumors newbie

Serious, a white iDevice again?

Oh please here we go! Claims of the next gen iToy coming soon....then the event happens....a week or two later the product launches with claims of both a black and white iToy....upon release date we hear there's been a hault in production....next event, sorry colour issues....and all of a sudden the white model has vanished off the Apple Online Store...

Yea right! :rolleyes:

6. JS77 macrumors regular

Me neither! Yuck!

7. SilianRail macrumors 6502

Why is Steve torturing himself trying to make this white iPhone/iPad happen? White handheld devices are hideous.

8. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

That's just a hole for the 1st gen light sensor isnt it?

9. rochford macrumors member

I seem to remember part of the problem with the white iPhone was with the proximity sensor, which presumably isn't an issue with the iPad. The other was light leakage - perhaps the carbon fibre body theory also solves this.

10. Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

Like the old iMac G4....?

A brilliant hinged head design - one is sitting on my desk right now.

11. mattkowalski macrumors member

12. Žalgiris macrumors 6502a

Žalgiris

You haven't seen it yet.

13. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

This is correct, there should be a second hole visible for the camera, but there isn't. I suspect that this is a fake part that is either designed for a custom made iPad.

14. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

It's the Yin and Yang concept I suppose.

15. ann713 macrumors 65816

I'm one to lust over a white iPhone but white iPad? Eh.

16. Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

I'd not noticed that dot on the iPad until you just pointed it out. Seems reasonable. I also don't understand how the camera will work anyway - which orientation will it be designed for? I use my iPad predominantly on its side with the home on the left, but if standing it in the Apple case (for iChat), the Home is on the right. And then there are those that use the iPad in portrait...

17. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Agreed.

People would like it if it's styled as a white macbook. I personally like the idea; white portrays a lot of elegance and I guess a lot of people like the calmness and ideology with the colour white.

18. RalfTheDog macrumors 65816

RalfTheDog

19. Zimmer62943 macrumors member

i reckon we get a spoiler free page up now cause all those leaks are going to start rearing their head. anyone with me?

20. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I can't believe how people waited for that white phone....:)

21. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Obviously I was referring to current Macs as an option alongside the already black bezel. I'm fully aware of Apple's previous Mac designs.

22. Thex1138 macrumors 6502a

Thex1138

Wasn't the...

White to do with the flash? No one expects a flash light on the back of iPad so white would be ok?
    ...not appealing perhaps... But plausible.
    :rolleyes:

23. notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

24. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I really feel that the white acrylic look is dead. Unless the iPad 2 is designed like a glass sandwich aka the iPhone 4, I have no idea how they would make a white iPad look stylish in white.

So my opinion is that this is 100% fake, and is confirmed by the lack of a second hole on the bezel for a light sensor (in addition to the FaceTime camera).

I really am tired of white products to be honest, I really fell in love with the retro look of the iPhone 4, where the materials appease my senses and don't feel cheaply constructed. Aluminum is kind of cheap, but Apple's brushing technique is pretty solid and the unibody construction makes it feel very solid. As soon as you use acrylic materials (like the white MacBook) it's just cringe worthy at this point.

So yeah, if it's white, it would need a glass back, and that isn't going to happen. So black glass front + aluminum back is the only way it's gonna go. I even have my doubts about the "carbon fiber" back that people keep whispering about.

25. SteveyAppleSeed macrumors member

The iPad 2 better have Facetime HD like the new MBPs.