Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I want a MacBook Air so badly, but it doesn't fit my storage needs. If they can fit 512gb, I'm sold.
They can fit it, when you can afford it.

storage.png

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Now they just need retina monitors for the iMac and Mac Pro.

Amen! Can you imagine the sweet clarity of a 27" iMac?! Yowsers!

----------

When will the iMacs be updated. We hear NO NEWs about them. Are they being positioned out of the line up?:mad:

The best guide to upgrades is to look at the previous pattern in the Buyer's Guide in the MacRumors menu above. We're 183 days since the last iMac upgrade and those range between 280 days to 577 days. We just aren't due (though with Apple, anything is possible).

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
I can see the airs changing to 12 and 14 inch and keeping the pros at 13 and 15. So we will have 12 13 14 and 15 inch, makes sense right?��

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think they're going to eliminate both the 11.6" and 13" MacBook Airs with the 12". A 12" isn't much bigger than 11.6" anyway, but perhaps it'll be a 12.5" display or something.

Actually, one of the reasons I think they're going to eliminate them both for a single 12" model is because they want to eliminate the 11.6" MBA and its weird 16:9 screen aspect ratio. They may want to standardise on a single aspect ratio for laptops, and one for iPads, so that eventually, when they merge iOS and OSX, perhaps iPad apps may run on MacBooks.

Also, using 2 or 3 standardised resolutions would allow for better and easier graphics scaling so that text and windows don't look too small on super high-res screens.

I'd trade some battery for a better screen. The 11 inch air is unusable with that screen.

I've been managing just fine. The colour is very accurate on mine. The brightness can use a bit of work, and I wouldn't mind a Retina display, but since the screen is small, the ppi is actually quite high. It's not HD, but it's still decent.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I dont know about you guys, but I've been using my mom's new iMac a couple times lately which is obviously not retina. And being used to retina on my MPBR and iPhone and iPad Air, my eyes start to hurt when working with non-retina after about 5min.

When I bought the updated high-end MBPR 13inch earlier this year I was comparing it to the Air but ultimately decided for the retina display because of this.

Non-Retina products should be history, and I really really hope that the standard will be 300+ PPI and not 224 or something...

How close are you sitting to that 27??? I have one and that screen is fantastic.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Am I the only one concerned with this thing potentially having no fan? I know that computing has come a long way, and the iPads don't have one, but then, they aren't performing processed-heavy functions like rendering video from mkv to mp4 for hours. I worry the thing will overheat in a big way.

Although I have to admit, if this happens, it would be the writing machine of my dreams. I might just skip out on upgrading the iMac for this machine and use it for everything but workhorse tasks and photo processing.

Overheating is somthing they would probably control by increasing the processing time of CPU-intensive tasks. As you pointed out, the iPad can do most daily things that a Mac can do. It is just that they take longer to, say, render a movie.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Current 11" MBA is 1366 x 768. While Retina display gives higher quality, but you'd want 2732 x 1536, not 2304 x 1440 or you are losing screen real estate.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
:)

Just want to show Apple there's a sizable amount of people asking for the re-introduction of the 17" model.

We 17" fans will have to wait until the panels get cheaper. So hold on to yours until then (I will).

And don't listen to the naysayers and those who "know" our needs better than we do. You'll find no love in this forum for people who dissent with Apple on anything at all.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
We 17" fans will have to wait until the panels get cheaper. So hold on to yours until then (I will).

Yup, me too. Albeit, a quick look around on OSx86 forums was a nice surprise - even current OS X versions run on some contemporary hardware like the Surface Pro 2. Hope the 4k 20" Toughpad also receives a working OSx86 port - that'd be a decent (and still backpack-portable) replacement for my 17".

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
is for sure they can't put the new MBA higher price than 1099$, because of 13" MBP 1299$

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
but keep in mind that the processor eats up a lot of power too.
Only if its actually being given a task.
They idle at nearly the same power level.

When idling, or at very low usage levels, its the draw from the display panel and Wi-fi that tends to consume most power.

Remember - the MBA is more power efficient than the iPad4 - despite its ARM CPU.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so for 200$ more you get a better Cpu and iGPU and a little more screen estate for 13" MBP
but again i think the max RAM on MBA will be 8 instead 16 in MBP

tcbrittt

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
I can see the airs changing to 12 and 14 inch and keeping the pros at 13 and 15. So we will have 12 13 14 and 15 inch, makes sense right?��

Can't see this happening. So if you want the 13 inch size, you have to get the Pro? And the 14 inch Air is likely cheaper? They will either cut Pro or Air and just make MacBook in different sizes or keep Air and Pro and offer each in 2 sizes. Pro will offer more horsepower and Air will be lighter, but both will share screens.

How about 2 sizes for 2 seperate products?
big screen MacBook Air, small screen MacBook Air.
big screen MacBook Pro, small screen MacBook Pro.

Thats how they do most products:
iphone 3.5" and iphone 4"
ipad mini and ipad
11" air and 13" air
13" pro and 15" pro
21" iMac and 27" iMac
Mac Mini and Mac Pro
AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme
iPod Touch and iPod Nano.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How close are you sitting to that 27??? I have one and that screen is fantastic.

Exactly. That's just the typical around here… where "we" rationalize the new by beating down the "old". For 26+ years, Apple hardware was non-retina. Where were all these posts of "can't look at it for 5 minutes without getting a headache" for all of those years? Retina didn't evolve our eyes overnight such they they are now hypersensitive to less-than-retina displays now- especially enough to cause someone to develop a headache within 5 minutes. Maybe that guy did develop a headache but I think it's a stitch to tie that to using an iMac 27" non-retina screen.

I have both myself (including a 27" non-retina iMac screen), a retina MBP, a non-retina iPad mini and a retina iPhone. All work fine and look great to me. Personally, I probably like the iMac screen best of all of them.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
You do realize this is a rumor - right?

A rumor that by the way conflicts with another recent rumor.

It annoys me that Apple are increasingly pushing their major updates to the Autumn / Christmas season. I understand it, but it means we have to suffer a dearth of updates for 9 months should our purchasing needs not fall into Apples mandated seasonal glut.

Rant over: I'm looking forward to a potential new MBA in any case!

If another rumor about delays from Intel are true, the push back to the end of the year might not be Apples doing. The assumption here that a retina AIR would need a Broadwell processor to avoid performance regressions and keep power usage in check.

In any event Apple generally tries to launch new laptops in the spring to mid summer so that they have new product on the shelf for back to school shopping. If this rumor is even remotely true then it flies in the face of Apples marketing strategy of the last few years.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Yup, me too. Albeit, a quick look around on OSx86 forums was a nice surprise - even current OS X versions run on some contemporary hardware like the Surface Pro 2. Hope the 4k 20" Toughpad also receives a working OSx86 port - that'd be a decent (and still backpack-portable) replacement for my 17".

Really? Hmm. I might have to look into that. As Apple cuts my options I need alternatives.

Still, it'll be a looong while before my 17" is completely obsolete. A pair of (internal) OWC SSDs and a USB3 expresscard, and the retinas can't touch me.

All without losing access to the gazillion legacy externals I have. Hooray for expandable computers!

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
This should be obvious, it is space for a larger viewable screen. The desire many have is for an LCD screen to be selected (engineered) so that it doesn't need the large bezel. This would give you a larger screen in the same sized package.

Bezel being the piece of aluminum around the display/screen correct ?

You have a bezel around the 15" rMBP just that its the non functioning part of the display or screen itself.

Not arguing but what difference does it make if it's the aluminum or dark glass?

As for battery life the MBA I have is doing awesome on battery life, just my opinion

----------

Do you really think they do that on purpose? Getting everything to come together for a new product is not easy especially when at the mercy of vendors and the like.

In any event why do you even think this is the case, they didn't bunch up everything at the end of last year. In fact they failed to even update the Mini. Maybe your perception of time is screwed up, along with many others here, but I don't see a big crisis here.

Considering that Apple has the advantage that its user base accepts also incremental changes, I really wonder why they cram in everything at the end of the year; the different product launches get overshadowed, the products less media exposure, cash-flow takes it chances, logistics are tougher to handle... dunno... what's going on??

perhaps I'm just ranting because I'm in business for a new MBA or MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.