Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For future iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks, Apple plans to use smaller internal components in an effort to increase the size of the device's battery, according to DigiTimes.

ifixit-iphone12-mini.jpeg
Image Credit: iFixit

Specifically, Apple plans to "significantly increase the adoption" of IPDs or integrated passive devices for the peripheral chips in its products. These news chips will be slimmer in size and allow for higher performance while also taking up less internal space inside a device, allowing for larger batteries.
Apple is expected to significantly increase the adoption of IPD (integrated passive devices) for new iPhones and other iOS products, providing robust business opportunities for manufacturing partners TSMC and Amkor, according to industry sources.

Peripheral chips for iPhones, iPad and MacBook series are going slimmer with higher performance to allow more space for larger-capacity battery solutions for the devices, with the demand for IPDs to grow sharply in line with the trend, the sources said.
The report doesn't note when specifically these new smaller chips will debut, but it does note that Apple has approved TSMC's 6th-generation process to mass-produce IPDs for new iPhones and iPads.

Alleged battery capacities of the upcoming iPhone 13 lineup, leaked earlier this year, signaled that the upcoming iPhones will feature larger batteries. Schematics previously seen by MacRumors also revealed that the new iPhones will be thicker, making room for the larger batteries.

Although the 2021 iPhones aren't mentioned in today's report, it's reasonable to assume that new IPD chips, coupled with an increase in thickness, provide Apple with the freedom to increase battery size thanks to free internal space. The new larger batteries are rumored to be put to good use thanks to more advanced displays in the upcoming high-end iPhones.

Article Link: Apple to Make Space for Larger Batteries in iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks By Adopting Slimmer Peripheral Chips

Reactions: Sasparilla

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
If Apple could find a way to squash a 3000mah battery into the iPhone Mini they would have a hit on their hands. Many reviewers on YouTube love the phone but the battery just doesn't cut it for power use.
It's not all about the battery size though. Power efficiency of components has a direct impact on battery life - if Apple can make advancements there, we'll get results from those efforts too.

If you were to take current processors / components and clock them to original iPhone specs, I'd bet the device would last a week on its original battery too.

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
They need to get rid of that huge nano-SIM. It's taking up too much valuable space, especially in the mini. Apple should push for better e-sim adoption and make it so users can switch phones while keeping their number as easily as it is with a physical SIM.

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
it's absolutely amazing to me how much they can fit into such a small board and space nowadays. I remember building my own x88 and x86 class computers and the motherboards themselves were big, you could easily see all the components, etc... the technology and still managing power and heat is just incredible.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
Just the thing 1mm thicker and hey presto - bigger battery=longer battery life.
Did our hands get thinner? Why the stupid form factor then. iPhone 3G still the best!
I still have my old 3G. Loved it at the time but the times are changing.

MaxLeopold

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
If Apple could further Bundle individual Chips into SoC - like they did - when shrinking the MotherBoard for the MacBookAir years ago - they might be able to do just that. The fewer Cable Connectors are required to interlink different Boards & Components with each other the More Space can be saved, in my Opinion.

Installing a Dual eSIM could also support this Effort, as suggested by @jlc1978 & also make it more challenging for Thieves, since it becomes more challenging to remove the Device off a Network.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Does that mean we still get a camera bump? Why not just push the back out far enough for the camera to be flush with the back case? (Yes, someone has to bring the bump up eventually...)

Camera bumps have gotten thicker over iPhone releases, its better to decouple the need to have them flush with every new model.

The 12 Pro Max is quite heavy already in its current form. Any additional weight would affect UX. I’d rather they explore cutting edge solutions and optimization than go ham on battery capacity.

the Apple Watch R&D is actually paying off

Last edited:

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I beg to differ. Having an actual SIM makes it a lot easier to move between devices.
It does at present - but it doesn't seem entirely fanciful to imagine a super-simple transfer mechanism if the networks and manufacturers both wanted to achieve that.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So I predict more bending iPhones, and more failures, unless they do a better job of stiffening them.

I remember scrapping a piece of consumer electronics and finding two steel rods running up the sides of the device. They were obviously there for protection against the device bending. Why doesn't the iPhone have that. It would seem to be easy to fit *something* in the case to stiffen them, and if they go thinner chips now, that could be an even bigger issue, right?

Reactions: polyphenol

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
So I predict more bending iPhones, and more failures, unless they do a better job of stiffening them.

I remember scrapping a piece of consumer electronics and finding two steel rods running up the sides of the device. They were obviously there for protection against the device bending. Why doesn't the iPhone have that. It would seem to be easy to fit *something* in the case to stiffen them, and if they go thinner chips now, that could be an even bigger issue, right?
Isn't that likely one reason the use of a titanium frame has been reported?

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/07/26/iphone-14-2022-pro-models-titanium-case/

• Wow
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Just make it 1 mm thicker.
If it they are currently around 6mm thick, making it 7mm thick would likely also make it around a sixth heavier.

The point being that while I too am not that bothered about absolute thickness, with additional weight they are less appealing.

Maybe they would actually achieve as much, or more, by using improved battery technology? Such as nano-wire batteries. (When feasible.)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
  • Haha
Reactions: polyphenol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.