Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agneev

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
1 Infinite ∞
Does that mean we still get a camera bump? Why not just push the back out far enough for the camera to be flush with the back case? (Yes, someone has to bring the bump up eventually...)
I'd even argue for the camera to be a a millimeter inside the device because the edges of the camera tend to get scratched the most, over time.

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
It's not all about the battery size though. Power efficiency of components has a direct impact on battery life - if Apple can make advancements there, we'll get results from those efforts too.

If you were to take current processors / components and clock them to original iPhone specs, I'd bet the device would last a week on its original battery too.
That is partially true. The problem is that as soon as you require actual processing power from the device the power efficiency goes out the window. For regular user who checks his/her IG a few times a day and posts a few selfies a phone that drains very little battery when not in use is obviously a significant improvement. For someone who uses the device for actual work, not so much. I'd rather have a large enough battery than a device with a tiny battery but that claims to be power efficient.

Try "normal use" on your Mac laptop and see nice battery life estimates. Then try to edit a few photos while unplugged and see the battery life drain faster than you can say "where's my battery". Same with editing video and other stuff that actually uses your hardware. It's the same with iPhones/iPads.

I could live with a larger device if it would allow me to actually work all day through. Now my 11 Pro Max does that only those few days I don't really use it. If I do it requires 2-3 recharges during the day. Just being able to cut that down to 1 recharge would be a huge improvement. But all that matters to me is how power efficient the device is when it's actually taxing the hardware, not what it is on idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.