Apple to Offer $29 iPhone Battery Replacements, More Battery Health Info in iOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2017.

1. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Do they not at the same time though get more efficient because of better code, more instructions per cycle and less watts per cycle?

2. ChrisChaval macrumors 6502

ChrisChaval

3. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

No, it means:
    1: $29 batter replacement for those eligible.
    2: software update to show more battery info.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 31, 2017 ---
    You'd think.

4. Act3, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017

Act3 macrumors 68000

I suspect , in the future, they will match the CPU speed better to the capability of the battery installed to avoid/further delay throttling.

Be interesting to see how the current gen of phones fare in a year from now. How the 8 does compared to the X, since X has different dual battery.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

You need to google how lithium ion batteries work. I think that’ll help you.

6. nixfu macrumors member

The lesson is I am done with iPhones. I love iOS but I am sick of crappy hardware that they can't provide basic customer features in their hardware such as replaceable battery's, phone backs not made of shattering crappy glass, micro-sd cards, phones that don't break when you look at them, and standard freaking headphone jacks.

I am finally convinced that Apple does not give a crap about providing features that consumers actually need or want.

My 6s is my last iPhone, it has been a nice run since the 3gs but its over.

7. Williesleg macrumors regular

Good luck with that. I've been a loyal Apple consumer since the late 80's, but I'll tell you what, they really lost me and a lot of other consumers this year with their crappy upgrades and lame software. It's Gil Amelio all over again.

8. PeteLP macrumors 6502

Apple actually IS so generous.

I had the face of my series-0 apple watch pop-off. It was way more than a year AFTER the EXPIRATION of my warranty. There was no negotiation, no threats. Apple simply gave me a brand new series-2 watch FREE of CHARGE.

I had 3 other similar events with friends who were getting tech support from me and needed to go to apple.

Except for car companies, whose customers lives are at risk (as is jail time for company officers), I've never heard of this from a single company other than Apple.

9. alextu macrumors newbie

and why was apple not transparent about it, if they did not have anything to hide?

10. firewood macrumors 604

This is the expectation of the uneducated people who didn't take chemistry courses in college, but still assume they know something about it. Even during the elementary school science experiment with two metal electrodes in a lemon, you can see the voltage decline over time. Some educational system failed you.

11. D B Kicinski macrumors newbie

12. firewood macrumors 604

There's a market in used BlackBerries for people like you. You even get a full tactile keyboard (you forgot to mention that basic necessity.)

13. D B Kicinski macrumors newbie

14. alextu, Dec 31, 2017

alextu macrumors newbie

I saw this article on the Verge:

"That said, Apple didn’t make it clear that replacing an iPhone’s battery could resolve this issue and improve performance. The company doesn’t make it particularly easy to replace batteries, either. And more importantly, it could have designed phones that didn’t need these guardrails just a year after their release, which is arguably the bigger issue."

samsung, htc, LG and motorola have all release statements saying that they do not slow down phones as battery
    degrade and age.

if you have to slow down the speed of your phone just a year after because of the battery, then you can not say that
    your phone is the best phone in the world.

looks like apple has to go back to the drawing board if they want to get to the root of the problem, and not just
    a temporary fix/damage control.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre.../iphone-slowdown-is-needed-but-also-a-problem

15. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

More like offer it for PR only while actively turning away customers with battery issues saying it passes their proprietary diagnostic so it doesn't qualify for $29 replacement.

16. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Still think this is bad PR that will stick in people's minds.

18 months from now...
    Non tech couple Looking in a phone store deciding what to buy?

Shall we get an iPhone dear?

Oh no, those are the phones with those battery problems remember, so bad you had to get them replaced.

Oh yes, I remember that.

Let's look at some other makes.

This is why I think Apple needs to go FULL BALLS OUT with the next phone, and make their new phone have a far far better battery, so the media will latch onto it, and (Apple would hope) iPhones having great batteries os put over so so strongly it wipes away the current negative viewpoint.

17. HiOahuPhone macrumors newbie

HiOahuPhone

can anybody using the phone case with the integrated battery made by Apple confirm that the processor speed increases as there is more 'battery available'? No, thought not.

Yes I did this. Plugged in, or with battery pack, the phone does not run at full speed. Although it has enough current to run at max speed it still runs at half speed. Oh and BTW even if you are paying $80 which I did, you still had to get permission to change the battery as a 500+ cycle, 80% battery tested GOOD. In other words, if I didn't get permission, I would have to run at half speed for months more until they OK'ed the battery replacement.

18. whohasaquestion, Dec 31, 2017

whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

How about this:

Whoever chose to side with Apple don't get 1) the $29 battery replacement nor 2) the software update to show more battery information.

And in the future if any of related lawsuits pans out for the consumers, they don't receive any monetary compensation.

After all, we are just a bunch of ungrateful, greedy bastards who don't appreciate the good work Apple has done for us, right?

19. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

So you’re done with flagships in general? And eventually with new phones?

20. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

So what will you get? Issue is the only option is the lackluster support Android side of the world...

21. fitcious macrumors member

I honestly wonder if after changing the battery on let’s say a 6, will the phone renew speed be enough for me to use in 2018? I remember when I got the 6 new, I loved it and thought it was super fast. I wonder will I be content with it on my daily.

Emails, YT, FB, browsing, some games, camera, etc

22. whohasaquestion, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

If you are on iOS 11, it's already too late. New battery or not. Welcome to iPhone X Plus!

23. Altis macrumors 68030

It's actually really quite sad.

The iPhone 6 was very fast when it came out. What all has changed with iOS that now it's suddenly incredibly slow?

It's not like they added tons of crazy new features that consume all kinds of resources. It looks the same and has a very similar feature set.

I wish I could put mine back to 9.3 because that ran quite well and was a better design, IMO.

24. femike, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

femike macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    A few years ago I wouldn't have agreed. Amongst other decisions, this battery issue was the last straw. So I agree with you now.

25. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I don't think you are ungrateful or greedy. That said, I do feel people are all too quick to take sides and jump to conclusions on a matter which I feel has a lot of nuance to it, and which isn't so straightforwards as the "Apple admits to deliberately slowing down our phones and wants to charge us to rectify a mistake which they made!!!" clickbait headlines that the media is content to peddle for the sake of views.

It's the same issue I am seeing with a lot of Apple-related news posted here. The discourse and discussions that follow tend to be very shallow and superficial. I do not see many posters remotely bothering to scratch past the surface of the issues, and go deeper into the nature of the matter. There's a very mob-kind mentality here, and that's quite dismaying.

Heck, I post here as a form of leisure in my own free time. I am not paid a single cent to do this sort of thing, but I do care enough about having a well-reasoned discussion to at least bother to research and read up on the issue (which is why you may notice that it typically takes me a few days before I type my first response).

Granted, I get that this isn't something that should be expected of the general consumer populace (especially when one analyst who has been doing a stellar job of understanding and analysing Apple thus far does it for a full-time living), but the thing is - I just don't see people making the effort, and the shallowness of many of the responses in this forum shows it.

I feel it says a lot when people have been claiming that Apple is doomed for god knows how many decades in a row running, yet never stop to question their own assumptions and worldview despite being proven dead wrong year after year. I believe it all goes back to Apple not being a very easy company to peg down, and when you don't even understand the sort of company that Apple is (read: they are not a tech company), how can you even begin to objectively analyse the moves and decisions which they make?

And I think it's even more ironic that I am seeing more rational and objective responses on this matter from Android forums elsewhere. Maybe it's because they aren't affected by this issue personally, which allows them to look at this from a more calm and detached manner. And maybe that's precisely the problem. This incident has hit too close to home, and many posters here have been personally affected in one way or another, and are simply too short-sighted and emotional to analyse the matter any more deeply beyond whether they have to shell out $29 for a replacement battery, or what they should do now that they have already upgraded their phone.

And maybe that's why this thread is on its 88th page and we still haven't progressed beyond the issue of paying for replacement batteries.