Apple to Open Imaging Research Lab in Grenoble, France

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 14, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple plans to open a research laboratory in Grenoble, France focused on developing improved imaging sensors and techniques for its iOS devices, according to French newspaper Dauphiné Libéré, with details shared by iPhon.fr [Google Translate].

Apple has had a team of more than a dozen researchers and engineers working on imaging research and development for more than a year at the Minatec European research center, and recently signed a lease to establish its own research laboratory in Grenoble.

The new facility, located on Rue Ampere, will give Apple the space to hire additional researchers and it will allow the company to provide its research team with specialized equipment for sensor development. Apple plans to have approximately 30 engineers working at the research lab, which will span 800 square meters.

According to the newspaper, Apple's work on sensors for the iPhone and iPad will be done in collaboration with engineers from Apple partner STMicroelectronics, which has supplied components for Apple devices in the past.

With the iPhone positioned as the most popular point-and-shoot camera in the world, Apple has invested a lot of resources into continual improvements, introducing better image quality with each iteration of the device. This year, we may see some of the biggest image improvements yet, as Apple is expected to introduce a camera with a larger sensor in the iPhone 7 and a dual-lens camera setup in the iPhone 7 Plus.

Article Link: Apple to Open Imaging Research Lab in Grenoble, France

2. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

And when you're done taking all these beautiful photos you store them in the joke of an application that is Apple Photos, reminiscing about Aperture and boy, even iPhoto to some extend.

Understood.

Glassed Silver:mac

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Apple opens all research facilities overseas these days.

4. cube macrumors P6

Apple has barely any R&D outside of Cupertino, as this is one of their weaknesses.

5. Apple_MIA macrumors newbie

6. Thunderhawks Suspended

Other countries and parts of the world have smart people too.

An international outlook or option can't hurt.

7. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

8. Apple_MIA macrumors newbie

I don't get why when I've compared Samsungs S's camera shots vs iPhones they always appear clearer and nicer. And those phones cameras seem to capture pictures easier meaning less fuzzy pictures. Is it just me or is this true?

9. 2457282 Suspended

I think it is important to have talent from any and every where to ensure you get the best input into what ever you are working on. Having said that, it seems that they continue to open up research centers all over the place. Wouldn't it be better to find the talent and colocate them so they can collaborate more?

10. cube macrumors P6

11. that be me macrumors 6502

It’s kind of true. Samsung devices are known for oversharpening images. This makes them look sharper, but somewhat unnatural. Try taking a picture of grass or pavement to see how weird it can look.

12. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

Maybe they'll look into a camera without a bulge. You know Ive must cringe every time he sees it on his otherwise svelte products

13. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

As a travel blogger who ditched his heavy dslr & lenses for an iPhone to take all my pictures with, this news makes me very happy. Better sensors are needed for better pics. I'm probably one of the few excited for the iPhone 7 just because of the dual lens camera.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Better than Rue Flux Capacitor.

15. coolfactor macrumors 601

Can't change physics.... light need to travel distance and be captured without interference. How can that be done on a totally flat surface? One day they will get it, but until then, a slight "tunnel" is needed for the mechanics.

16. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

A pity that won't be on the iPhone 7 'normal' model...only the gigantic one that will cost more money. I'd buy the 7 if it did have the dual lens on the smaller iPhone. Guess I'll be waiting for the 8. Hopefully the dual lens makes it there in a year.

17. 576316 macrumors 601

Speaking of which, does anyone have a RAW file from a 6s I can play with? Intrigued on how much data are in those image files now.

18. Pattaya macrumors newbie

Pattaya

19. Jyby macrumors 6502

Rochester NY could have benifited from this... Thanks Apple! #sarcasm
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2016 ---
    Rochester NY is full of imaging talent.

20. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Perhaps you should go back and reread what I said, comprehend and the post.

21. cube macrumors P6

Usually Apple goes where there is already a project that they like.

22. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

The camera is even more important to Apple now due to the rise of Pokémon Go. What will people do if the augmented reality fails to be as convincing as on rival phones? I don't even know if I'm joking anymore.

23. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

The world has been born anew and we are all trying to come to grips with the new reality. All our ideas about how things may play out are different now, we need to figure them out again, because of Pokemon Go.

24. citysnaps macrumors 601

Apple has R&D going on all over the world.

25. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

You want a slight bulge or a thicker phone? You can't change physics when it comes to lens.