Apple to Open New Flagship Store in Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is planning to open a new flagship retail location in Melbourne, Australia, at Federation Square, a shopping center, public square, and mixed-use space located in the heart of the city.

The Federation Square website says the new location will be an "Apple Global Flagship Store" that will open up in 2020. It will be Apple's most significant store in the Southern Hemisphere, with workshops, classes, and live music events.

[​IMG]

Apple's Melbourne store will create 500 square meters of new public space, connecting Federation Square with the Yarra River and Birrarung Marr. Apple will construct a new building to replace an existing Yarra building, and based on renderings shared by Federation Square, the store will have multiple levels with glass walls and a viewing deck that overlooks the Yarra River.

Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts told The Australian that the store will feature a "bespoke design concept" and "extensive landscaping."
    Construction on the new store, which will "enhance Federation Square's world renowned architecture," will start in mid-2019.

Article Link: Apple to Open New Flagship Store in Melbourne, Australia

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

3. andrewpturko macrumors regular

andrewpturko

The rendering looks decidingly not Apple. Sharp corners and copper tones?

4. BlueParadox, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017

BlueParadox macrumors 6502

Great news. Rumoured for sometime, now an actuality. Though liked by many, I think Federation Square feels like a missed opportunity since completion in 2002: a mis-mash of usual but not great design.

Very curious to see what Apple delivers to the area (the design looks Japanese, like an historical castle or mansion, which is great, I reckon). It’s already a source of controversy as Fed Square supposedly reflects local arts and culture. A large, corporate, foreign establishment seems counter to this philosophy for some...

5. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

6. Matt Leaf macrumors regular

Probably to match the existing architectural tones which are quite earthy.

MyMac across the street will have some serious thinking to do. At least they 2 years notice...

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Tea-Aholic

Salty much?

8. BlueParadox macrumors 6502

Not at all. But by all means, keep telling yourself that ;)

9. friednoodles, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017

friednoodles macrumors 6502a

Nice to see it'll include some trees, which will be a welcome improvement from the barren concrete scape that currently is Federation Square (don't get me wrong, I like the polygonal architectural style, but it sure is hot - much like the original re-do of King George Square in Brisbane). Edit: Looks like they're retaining the existing green space between the river and the existing building and making it mostly grass, plus some new shrubbery. Removing one of those buildings and replacing it with a more minimalist style will be an improvement, IMO, as currently it feels like a valley of harsh surfaces.

10. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

Fix up their resumes and apply at the Apple Stroe.

11. Peeetski macrumors member

Peeetski

They might have to become friendly and helpful :eek:

12. anton_usa macrumors newbie

Ugh rather shoot myself than that store/public area. It looks overcrowded and too hot.

13. phoreohphore macrumors newbie

Unfortunately this will be replacing the Yarra Building which houses the Koorie Heritage Trust - a building that promotes and exhibits Aboriginal culture of South-Eastern Australia. I'm a Apple fan, but this sucks.

edit: spelling

14. actcyclist macrumors regular

actcyclist

They’re demolishing an art gallery and award winning building for a shop. Apples lobbyists are worth their pay!

15. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Don’t worry. In five minutes it will be storming and 7º.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2017 ---
    They had already outgrown the space and were already moving to a larger and more accessible space in the Alfred Deakin building within the square.

16. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

Now all we need is a flagship store in Perth to connect up Perth with Sydney and Melbourne. :p

17. sparkie7 macrumors 68020

sparkie7

Great, means I don't have to travel all the way to chaddy or Doncaster to check out the latest apple bling

18. fermat-au macrumors 6502

Sydney has had a flagship Apple Store for almost a decade. From rumour I have heard, Apple has been looking for a flagship Melbourne location for years.

19. Music Ambulance macrumors member

Music Ambulance

Shades of the headquarters spaceship meets fed square angles, but god it looks bad.

That said, I’m just happy I won’t need to drive to the burbs for repairs.

20. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Armchair moralists never need to let causality, or the physics of time and space, stand in the way of a good finger-pointing.

21. Cosmosent macrumors 6502

Very soon, the term "Flagship" will be applied to ONE & ONLY ONE camera app, and NOT first by the public, but by the BIG 4 !

And, $200B of Apple's market cap is gonna quickly flow OUTSIDE of Apple when it happens !

22. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

Aaaaand New Zealand still doesn't have a single store.

23. caskin8a macrumors member

New. ****ing. Zealand.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2017 ---
    No actually that’s probably an awful idea because then they’d have to actually register as selling goods in NZ as opposed to Apple Inc (NZ) being an incorporated distributor service for Apple Sydney. U get dat tax loophole, Apple.

24. Music Ambulance macrumors member

Music Ambulance

Becuz all the kiwis are here ;)

25. Koalazub macrumors newbie

And succeeding!