Apple to Open New Flagship Store in Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2017.

1. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Haha I’d say they are extremely happy, more jobs for them :)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 20, 2017 ---
    Umm why are you on these forums?

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Yo yo yo. Federation Square is owned by a PRIVATE company since 1999, Fed Square Pty Ltd. It has a CEO, shareholders and a whole company department dedicated to commercial development. Of which there are already several including a 7/11 and a souvenir shops.

Apple is leasing a building from Fed Square Pty Ltd, not their private land.

3. iOzzie macrumors regular

Fixed. :p

4. magamen macrumors member

magamen

5. jabz10 macrumors member

Dammit, still not even 1 in NZ!. Perfect opportunity while the Auckland inner city rail loop is being constructed!. FFS they missed out on Britomart.

6. fermat-au macrumors 6502

What ever people think about Apple, Federation Square and the proposal, I am surprised that Apple didn't see this negative reaction. Apple are known for the PR and controlling public perception of them. The headline of "building house Aboriginal artists to be demolished for Apple Store" is just bad PR. What ever the whole story is this makes Apple look bad and I am surprised that Apple let the announcement happen the way it has.

7. knzVZyxf, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

knzVZyxf macrumors newbie

knzVZyxf

According to their own website, Fed Square Pty Ltd itself is owned by the State Government of Victoria, and the company does not own the land but manages Federation Square on behalf of the government. It is public land.

8. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

There’s definitely going to be backlash but I really like the idea of the learning centre, the ACMI has similar programs. I can see Federation square being a bit more of an information/art/cultural centre hub of Melbourne.

9. rochford macrumors member

10. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

No they are not. It was established by the Victorian Govt in 1999, and they remain a majority shareholder and operate under the original charter laid out by Vic Gov. But it is not govt land for precisely this reason, to allow for commercial enterprise while retaining the appearance of public land. Where you can see that this pseudo-public land is in fact not public at all is when protestors were removed for protesting Adani.

11. knzVZyxf, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017

knzVZyxf macrumors newbie

knzVZyxf

After a bit more digging I see you are correct - it is land owned privately by the state government... They do a good job of hiding this, I lived in Melbourne for some years and had no idea. I guess this explains how Apple can get permission to use the land without public consultation.

So odd that a government can privately own so-called "public space". This actually makes the whole Apple deal seem even more obscene to me - a fake town square within an even faker one :confused:

12. lowkey macrumors 6502

Giving civic space over to commercial activities is lame. When it's negotiated in secret behind closed doors it's even worse. Protest groups are organising and I wouldn't be surprised if this pos ends up not going ahead.

13. Da_Hood macrumors newbie

Bad move Apple. I'm sure the final building will be a major improvement on the artist impression. But you will be surrounded by dross that looks it was designed by 1st year Architect students on their 1st day of Uni. Fed square is ugly AF, although befitting of Melbourne. If Apples architects were briefed to be sympathetic to the surrounds, it would clearly be the ugliest Apple store ever built, although Angela would probably never sign off on it.