Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For a while now, Apple has been running a promotion that offers a free one-year trial of Apple TV+ with any iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch purchase. That promotion ends on June 30, and Apple has today updated its website to show that from July 1 the included free trial shrinks to three months with eligible device purchases.

Apple-TV-Ray-Light-2-Triad.jpg

Apple has frequently offered promotions or credit for users to stay subscribed to the still relatively new service. Launched in 2019, Apple TV+ continues to grow into a more mainstream streaming service; however, it still has some ways before catching up to Netflix and others. Apple offers original shows such as "Ted Lasso," "The Morning Show," and "See" on the platform.

The new three-month trial will go into effect on July 1, so customers wanting to maximize their free Apple TV+ subscription should purchase their product before the beginning of next month. Devices purchased before then will continue to be eligible for a one-year trial.

The offer of a generous year-long free trial for ‌Apple TV+‌ has been an important part of Apple's strategy to lure in long-term subscribers by giving unfettered access to the full roster of content on the streaming service. ‌Apple TV+‌ launched with a small amount of content compared with other rival services, so it has been crucial for Apple to build goodwill and interest about the service's shows without expecting immediate returns. The company now appears to feel that the content offering has grown enough that a shorter trial will suffice going forward.

The new extension comes ahead of a busy fall season for Apple TV+, where several hit shows, such as "Ted Lasso" and "The Morning Show," will see their second seasons debut.

Article Link: Apple to Reduce Apple TV+ Free Trial to Three Months From July 1

Last edited:
Reactions: Ar40

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
I guess that means the end of the twice extended initial year trial? Mine is due to expire in early July, and I was wondering if there might be another extension. I’m still not sold on TV+ for now. I might pay £5 for one month to watch ted lasso, but I won’t be subscribing long term.

Comment

Craigwilliam

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Auckland
Has anyone ever paid for it? (apart from in a Apple one bundle) My free offer expires 1st July, so I've cancelled it. Enjoyed a few shows, but on the whole I often forget I have it. (I don't subscribe to any other service*)

*Well, I'm in the UK so have to pay for the BBC - yeah I know there's ways around it.

I was paying for it at first but then my AppleTV 4k purchase gave me a year of free subscription and I think that's still in effect untill September or something.

Comment

bebarhood

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2019
I dont see the difference of Apple TV+ free for a year or 3 months. I got the free trail and watched all the seried I wanted in less than half that time. Given the limited titles and that fact that each show takes more than a year to renew for another season, I don't see the point of a full year of free trail anyway.

Comment

cookiemonster89

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
In my opinion the quality of the shows on TV+ is way higher than the crab Netflix puts out these days. I really like fewer shows with more quality than get 60 new shows every month were 95 % is complete garbage. I also like the fact of releasing one episode per week like on Disney+ instead of binging through a season. From my point of view the viewing experience doesn't feel "rushed".

Comment

contacos

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I got a new iPhone from work the other day and have avoided opening TV or Arcade so far (to get that "free trial" pop up at a later date) because I am still on the free trials on my private iPhone. Can I still activate those trials (different Apple ID) on lets say June 30th or does it need to be done xy days after purchase of the device?

Comment

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Am I right in saying you can’t get more than one free trial?

so if you’ve had a free trial already and it’s expired, or if you’re currently on a free trial, purchasing a new device won’t give you 3 more months?

Comment

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
My initial 1 year free trial ended a good while back. I made a qualifying purchase with a new Apple ID (since I no longer use the old one except for past movie and tv show purchases) and got another 1 year free trial that ends in November. I haven't decided if I am going to sub or not.

edited to add: 3 months is still a good free view period.

Last edited:
Comment

somnolentsurfer

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
not only is there basically zero of interest for me on TV+, but it is hard to find what is really free to watch - at least Amazon shows me stuff that is included with Prime first inserted of having to search only to find I would have to pay to watch
There's a problem here for sure, but Prime is not the good example! I've added tons of stuff to my watch list over the years, and it's all been free at the time I added it. But loads of it isn't any more, and there's no way to filter the watch list by what's free. It's infuriating.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Comment

Jr_Mao

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021
So what is it… 2 movies and 4 series. Should be enough for everybody ++ ?

Have had it for a year now, greyhound was good and so was for all mankind, ted lasso was ok and so was that wolf girl animated movie. What else is there worth watching? No way of finding the free stuff.

Will it auto-renew if I dont remember to cancel?

Comment

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So what is it… 2 movies and 4 series. Should be enough for everybody ++ ?

Have had it for a year now, greyhound was good and so was for all mankind, ted lasso was ok and so was that wolf girl animated movie. What else is there worth watching? No way of finding the free stuff.

Will it auto-renew if I dont remember to cancel?
If you don't cancel at least 24 hrs in advance, you will be billed again.

Comment

Ray2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
In my opinion the quality of the shows on TV+ is way higher than the crab Netflix puts out these days. I really like fewer shows with more quality than get 60 new shows every month were 95 % is complete garbage. I also like the fact of releasing one episode per week like on Disney+ instead of binging through a season. From my point of view the viewing experience doesn't feel "rushed".
It’s all complete garbage. No matter how it’s delivered, over the air, cable, rentals, the internet, etc, it’s the same garbage being delivered and the same loss of audience. Yet another indication Apple is losing it vision.

Comment

J___o___h___n

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
I won't be subscribing once my trial ends. I have only watched a handful of things over the last few years.

I have enjoyed everything I have watched - but not enough to stay subscribed throughout the year. I will switch on for 1 month and switch it off. I will probably do it once a year - there's just not enough to watch.

Comment

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
I will subscribe. Too little content but I also have too little time to watch TV, and TV+ got way much higher quality than Netflix.

At this point, I won’t watch Netflix if they paid me to do so, it’s obvious what they are trying to do with content that is biased and immoral. The only series I liked was The Crown.

Comment

bookcase

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
+1. Out of all the streaming services I have (HBO Max, Prime, Hulu, Disney+), Netflix is at the bottom. They strike fire once in a while, but they focus on quantity over quality. I've enjoyed Apple TV+ and it's definitely worth $4.99.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.