Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to refresh its Mac lineup, including the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, as early as October, according to Bloomberg. The report also claims Apple is working on a standalone 5K display in partnership with LG Electronics, while it plans to update iMac models with an option for new graphics chips from AMD.

macbook_pros_2015.jpg

The report reiterates that the new MacBook Pro will be thinner and include an OLED-based touchscreen strip along the top of the flatter keyboard, which will present functions that dynamically fit the current task or application, as well as integrate Touch ID to enable users to quickly log in using their fingerprint.
For example, if a user is on their desktop, the screen will show a virtual representation of the standard function row, which includes brightness and media controls. When in an application, the virtual row will show options specific to the task at hand, but volume controls and a switch to show the default functions will always be present.
Apple has reportedly named the feature "Dynamic Function Row" internally, but its official name may differ when announced.

The tweaked MacBook Air models, meanwhile, are said to include multipurpose USB-C ports, which makes the inclusion of Thunderbolt 3 a possibility. No other details were shared about the planned MacBook Air and iMac refreshes.

macbook_airs_2015.jpg

Apple's plans to work with LG on a standalone 5K display surface two months after it discontinued the five-year-old Thunderbolt Display. It remains unclear if the monitor will be based upon the Retina 5K iMac, and it is also unclear if the report's broad late 2016 timeframe for "some of the new Mac products" includes the display.

The report makes it nearly certain that the focus of Apple's just-announced September 7 media event will be on the iPhone 7 and the second-generation Apple Watch, the latter of which has now been confirmed for the event. Apple will also provide updates about its software, including iOS 10, macOS Sierra, watchOS 3, and tvOS 10.

Article Link: Apple to Release New MacBook Pro and Air as Early as October, AMD iMacs and 5K Display With LG Also in Works

Last edited:
Reactions: hihakeem and Krafty

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I really don't see this happening, not if Thunderbolt 3 will be included, as, that requires the Intel processor that has just been released, perhaps we will see other changes, but, TB3 won't be in laptops b4 next year.

Now, there is a new processor that could be put in the Mac Pro, so, we may see an update for the Mac Pro including TB3 late Q4 this year.

In any case, we probably won't see an event for another month after the iPhone event.

Reactions: Tazzon77
Comment

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Sell AMD if you want but the day Apple stops offering an Intel version I am done.

EDIT: Okay I'm an idiot and didn't read that it was for the GPU. I jumped to the conclusion that they'd offer AMD CPU option. Whew!

Last edited:
Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Might as well wait for those Intel ARM chips to make their way into the Mac. They'll probably include modifications that makes it easier to emulate legacy code. I'm also looking forward to those double capacity lithium batteries that could come out as soon as next year with minimal production line changes.

Comment

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
So an October hardware event is happening. Bring it on. I'm sure it'll be a smaller venue, but who cares?

Also, new MacBook airs? Hell yea.

Reactions: rdav
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.