Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9 to 5 Mac reports that reliable tipster "Mr. X" has revealed that Apple will be releasing new MacBook Air and Mac Pro models this week alongside OS X Lion.

macbook_air_mac_pro_lion.jpg

According to Mr. X, Apple will be releasing four new MacBook Air models, appearing to match up with the current lineup of two stock configurations each in the 11-inch and 13-inch sizes. MacBook Air updates have been expected within this general timeframe for some time now, and Apple is said to have been holding the release until it can ship the new machines with OS X Lion preinstalled. The new models include:
MC965LL/A - K21, BETTER, BTR-USA
MC966LL/A - K21, BEST, BTR-USA
MC968LL/A - K78, BETTER, BTR-USA
MC969LL/A - K78, BEST, BTR-USA
On the Mac Pro side, Apple again appears to following its existing lineup with three standard stock configurations alongside a dedicated "Server" configuration. Reports had been suggesting that the Mac Pro would see a refresh in late July or early August, so Apple's appears to be a bit ahead of that schedule provided that it is indeed shooting for a release this week.
MC936LL/A - J40, ULTIMATE - USA
MC815LL/A - J40, BETTER - USA
MC816LL/A - J40, BEST - USA
MC914LL/A - J59, BEST - USA
Mr. X has not offered a specific release date for the new machines, but it appears that Apple may be targeting this Thursday, July 14th for the hardware launch alongside OS X Lion.

Article Link: Apple to Release Updated MacBook Air and Mac Pro Models This Week?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Well if the hardware comes out tomorrow, like most Tuesdays, then Lion HAS to come out tomorrow as well.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
I'm excited for Lion. Can't wait for developers to start taking advantage of versions.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
I guess this means either no xeon processors, or a massive wait before the MPs actually ship.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Here's hoping for a significant Mac Pro refresh [more than just an under-the-hood-keeping-up-with-standards update].

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
My new Mac Pro came last week (£778 Student Discount before it expires) here's hoping the revised model brings new GPU's i can order.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
I'm missing the macbook and macmini in this rumor, both seem to be inline for an update aswell.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I really hope Apple don't sign the final death warrant for their pro market with this Mac Pro refresh. What with Final Cut Pro X, a seriously cut down Lion Server and no XServe, i think this may be the final nail in the coffin for the Apple Pro market :(

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I really hope Apple don't sign the final death warrant for their pro market with this Mac Pro refresh. What with Final Cut Pro X, a seriously cut down Lion Server and no XServe, i think this may be the final nail in the coffin for the Apple Pro market :(

Maybe, but remember Apple use these systems internally too and Final Cut can fully utilize high-end workstation hardware, it's not like you only need iMac like performance and nothing more.

TheEmpty

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
NYC
My new Mac Pro came last week (£778 Student Discount before it expires) here's hoping the revised model brings new GPU's i can order.
As in you won't be a student any longer or as in the student sale? Because that ends in Sept. according to their brochure.

I was unaware that Tuesday was an option for the release date, though everyone was on Thursday. Tuesday would work much better since I'll be ordering a MBA online and would love to play with it over the weekend. (first mac, pretty excited, though it's freakin' expensive!)

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
I think MacPro upgrades are hogwash.

I think macbook airs and mac minis will be upgraded. mr x is confused is my speculation.

I also speculate a quiet macbook update in two weeks

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC

What Apple Pro market???

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
So is best better than ultimate or is better better than best but not better than ultimate? I always thought that you can't get better than best. So given that, Ultimate would be the worst, better would be better than ultimate and best would be the best. I always thought Apple made things easy. :)

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Seems to early for the Mac Pro.

The Air needs an update to Sandy Bridge, so that should be good.

Is this the end of the white MacBook?

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
So is best better than ultimate or is better better than best but not better than ultimate? I always thought that you can't get better than best. So given that, Ultimate would be the worst, better would be better than ultimate and best would be the best. I always thought Apple made things easy. :)

WOOT! score one for semantics!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.