Apple to Release Updated MacBook Air and Mac Pro Models This Week?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9 to 5 Mac reports that reliable tipster "Mr. X" has revealed that Apple will be releasing new MacBook Air and Mac Pro models this week alongside OS X Lion.

[​IMG]

According to Mr. X, Apple will be releasing four new MacBook Air models, appearing to match up with the current lineup of two stock configurations each in the 11-inch and 13-inch sizes. MacBook Air updates have been expected within this general timeframe for some time now, and Apple is said to have been holding the release until it can ship the new machines with OS X Lion preinstalled. The new models include:
    On the Mac Pro side, Apple again appears to following its existing lineup with three standard stock configurations alongside a dedicated "Server" configuration. Reports had been suggesting that the Mac Pro would see a refresh in late July or early August, so Apple's appears to be a bit ahead of that schedule provided that it is indeed shooting for a release this week.
    Mr. X has not offered a specific release date for the new machines, but it appears that Apple may be targeting this Thursday, July 14th for the hardware launch alongside OS X Lion.

Article Link: Apple to Release Updated MacBook Air and Mac Pro Models This Week?

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Well if the hardware comes out tomorrow, like most Tuesdays, then Lion HAS to come out tomorrow as well.

4. oldline macrumors member

5. Littleman macrumors regular

Littleman

That's quicker than expected :)

No soldered in HD and I'm in for an 11"

6. dustinsc macrumors regular

I'm excited for Lion. Can't wait for developers to start taking advantage of versions.

7. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Very ready to pick up a new 11" MBA.. hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

8. wiz329 macrumors 6502a

I guess this means either no xeon processors, or a massive wait before the MPs actually ship.

9. slrandall macrumors 6502

Here's hoping for a significant Mac Pro refresh [more than just an under-the-hood-keeping-up-with-standards update].

10. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

My new Mac Pro came last week (£778 Student Discount before it expires) here's hoping the revised model brings new GPU's i can order.

11. Data macrumors 6502

I'm missing the macbook and macmini in this rumor, both seem to be inline for an update aswell.

12. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

I really hope Apple don't sign the final death warrant for their pro market with this Mac Pro refresh. What with Final Cut Pro X, a seriously cut down Lion Server and no XServe, i think this may be the final nail in the coffin for the Apple Pro market :(

13. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

They need to refresh the Mini's as well... I need a good deal on a used one!

14. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Put me down for one "ultimate" with cheese, please! :D

15. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I'm curious as to what will become of the Mac Mini server configuration. Updated model or price drop?

16. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Good luck with that.

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Maybe, but remember Apple use these systems internally too and Final Cut can fully utilize high-end workstation hardware, it's not like you only need iMac like performance and nothing more.

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

As thought by many: discontinued...?

19. TheEmpty macrumors member

As in you won't be a student any longer or as in the student sale? Because that ends in Sept. according to their brochure.

I was unaware that Tuesday was an option for the release date, though everyone was on Thursday. Tuesday would work much better since I'll be ordering a MBA online and would love to play with it over the weekend. (first mac, pretty excited, though it's freakin' expensive!)

20. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

I think MacPro upgrades are hogwash.

I think macbook airs and mac minis will be upgraded. mr x is confused is my speculation.

I also speculate a quiet macbook update in two weeks

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Sounds like you're out then.

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

What Apple Pro market???

23. griz macrumors 6502a

So is best better than ultimate or is better better than best but not better than ultimate? I always thought that you can't get better than best. So given that, Ultimate would be the worst, better would be better than ultimate and best would be the best. I always thought Apple made things easy. :)

24. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Seems to early for the Mac Pro.

The Air needs an update to Sandy Bridge, so that should be good.

Is this the end of the white MacBook?

25. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

WOOT! score one for semantics!