Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Release Verizon-Compatible iPad Models

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Following today's announcement that the iPhone will finally be made available in a CDMA version for use on Verizon's network, Bloomberg reports that a version of the iPad directly compatible with its network is set to follow suit.
Verizon Wireless will sell a version of Apple Inc.'s iPad tablet computer that can connect directly to its network, posing another challenge to AT&T Inc. as the carrier's exclusive hold on the iPhone draws to a close.

Verizon will get an embedded chip in the iPad for use on its network, Francis Shammo, chief financial officer of Verizon Communications Inc., the parent of the wireless unit, said today in an interview in New York. IPad users currently need an extra device to connect to Verizon's network. Shammo declined to say when the change may happen.
The most recent rumors of a CDMA iPad surfaced in late December, claiming that the next-generation iPad will come in three versions: Wi-Fi, UMTS (GSM) 3G and CDMA 3G.

Verizon began carrying Wi-Fi models of the iPad in late October, pairing them with MiFi mobile hotspot devices at package prices on par with those of the corresponding models for other carriers featuring built-in 3G.

Article Link: Apple to Release Verizon-Compatible iPad Models

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
so? ma bell will most likely carry all the android tablets that were shown off

Comment

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Oh thank heavens that the VZW iPhone is here, now we can move on to new rumors...Oh look, VZW iPad. :mad:

Comment

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sure.. On iPad 2.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I think I'll pay for storage. Give me a WiFi only iPad 2. I would like to get iPad Facetime to replace my need for a notebook. I have not needed 3G on an iPad since I got it in April.

Comment

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
THIS IS A LIE

Verizon will never release iPhone, this is an evil rumor by WSJ. Apple would never let someone else announce their product.

Comment

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Is there such a thing as too much good tech news in one day?? I don't think so. Another great move by VZ!!! Now my wait is over and I can get an IPad and Iphone.

Comment

jhpadilla

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
what's next!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sure.. On iPad 2.

I agree. This definitely signals iPad 2 coming sooner rather than later.

Hope it lives up to the hype!

Comment

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Why would any Verizon customer want this? Won't they just use their iPhone's personal hotspot? :confused:

Comment

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Oh thank heavens that the VZW iPhone is here, now we can move on to new rumors...Oh look, VZW iPad. :mad:

Boo hoo.

Why would any Verizon customer want this? Won't they just use their iPhone's personal hotspot? :confused:

Because they may not have a smartphone? There's nothing wrong with having more options. Personally, I'd trade my AT&T 3G iPad any given day once the Verizon iPad is available... and I have a Droid X.

Comment

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
It's a very logical next step. I pretty sure we don't need news sources telling us the obvious.

THIS IS A LIE

Verizon will never release iPhone, this is an evil rumor by WSJ. Apple would never let someone else announce their product.

Just like the Cake. :cool:

No, because they can't make calls while tethering. haha :D

Comment

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Warning

iPads are very popular to take on trips. Your Verizon CDMA iPad will not work in Europe! (or any other cool place.....unless you think China is cool)

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really hope Apple kept things simple and that the new iPhones and iPads support both GSM and CDMA, as needed, but something tells me that not the case. Too busy to ready all of the news about this. Be a shame if the market was flooded with devices that have these varying configurations, but I guess that's business.

Comment

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
So will I want a Verizon iPad or AT&T iPad? I'm already paying $30 to AT&T for unlimited data but that's just for my iPhone.

Comment

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I really hope Apple kept things simple and that the new iPhones and iPads support both GSM and CDMA, as needed, but something tells me that not the case. Too busy to ready all of the news about this. Be a shame if the market was flooded with devices that have these varying configurations, but I guess that's business.

You sound like an informed consumer. What difference will multiple configurations make?

Comment

ThePimento

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Texas
I hope Verizon still offers the WiFi + MiFi bundle. I plan on buying that in a heartbeat (if they still keep that bundle around).

I don't want to be tied to AT&T or Verizon, and with the WiFi version, I can just get a hotspot and choose who I want to go with.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.