Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting later this week, Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers will be able to offer customers an iPhone XR as a loaner device during lengthier repairs in the U.S. and other regions, according to an internal memo obtained by MacRumors.

iphone-xr-black.jpeg

iPhone XR will be available as a loaner starting November 4, which will be an upgrade over the iPhone 8 that Apple currently offers as a loaner. As a one year newer device than the iPhone 8, the iPhone XR has more modern features like Face ID and Dual SIM support, and the iPhone XR also has a newer A12 Bionic chip for faster performance.

If an Apple Store determines that a customer's iPhone must be mailed off to an Apple repair center to be serviced, the customer would be eligible to receive an iPhone XR for free until their regular iPhone is ready for pickup.

Apple's iPhone Loan Agreement provides more details, including that customers must return the loaner iPhone no more than 14 days after the date that Apple notifies them that their repaired iPhone is ready for pickup.

Article Link: Apple to Start Offering iPhone XR as Loaner Device During Lengthier Repairs

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
When are phones sent out for repair? I know watches and other products may be. For phones, I always thought that if it was a screen replacement, that was handled in-house over the course of a few hours, and that has been possible for years. For total replacements, they'd just give you an on-the-spot replacement.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
If I’m being honest here, I had no clue they even allowed loaner phones in the first place at different times. That’s very neat.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
When are phones sent out for repair? I know watches and other products may be. For phones, I always thought that if it was a screen replacement, that was handled in-house over the course of a few hours, and that has been possible for years. For total replacements, they'd just give you an on-the-spot replacement.
It's handled in-house in a few hundred cities.

For those who live in any one of ~10,000 cities around the world that don't have an Apple Store or only a small one, screen replacements take days, sometimes weeks. And I imagine with all the shipping delays lately, it's pretty much always weeks now.

Even with AppleCare, I generally only repair my Apple devices if they are totally unusable.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Finally, it is absurd to lose a phone/laptop for a week just for a fix.
It still take a lot of time to restore from icloud though.
Plus, you may not even have this option if your iCloud backup size is too big. I dont expect someone filling a 1TB iPhone 13 Pro Max would be able to restore their backup to a 64GB iPhone XR.

Reactions: Jovijoker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.