Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roger67

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2017
Or,....just maybe they are fed up with Qualcomm unfair pricing/shady practices.

Apple is a company not a person. It tried to play suppliers against each other and lost. Now it's keeping Intel on its toes with stories about making modems in house.

Reactions: macfacts

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Qualcon is a patent trolling company who ripped off prior art. They will never ever get a penny from me, I wont buy anything with their **** in it.

What prior art.
Qualcomm and the founder Virterbi created wireless as we know it today.
You can't do WiFi with MIMO, LTE or CDMA without using an algorithm created/developed by Qualcomm.
They are not a troll.
Troll is defined as a company that does not create things and sues for worthless patents hoping to get paid.

You should do some reading on the history and technology of the wireless industry.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Apple is a company not a person. It tried to play suppliers against each other and lost. Now it's keeping Intel on its toes with stories about making modems in house.

o_O People run Companies ...

What prior art.
You can't do WiFi with MIMO, LTE or CDMA without using an algorithm created/developed by Qualcomm.
They are not a troll.
Troll is defined as a company that does not create things and sues for worthless patents hoping to get paid.

You should do some reading on the history and technology of the wireless industry.

You might not know but Qualcomm does more than you think they do, they even have an OS.

Last edited:

beermode

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2016
We need to find another expert source. Florian Mueller was ousted as a reliable source years ago from conflict of interest....or something, I forgot.

Reactions: MagMan1979

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Qualcomm's assertion that they essentially own all rights to all Smart Phone technology everywhere thus establishing a Monopoly doesn't hurt consumers? If you like Qualcomm chips there are plenty of Android choices out there.

Last edited:

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
QC is a sad little company. They are basically patent trolls now, doing to defined their lack of doing anything other than living off past patents. Life goes on. Someday soon QC won't. And everyone will be better off. Old school company that doe about as much as Dell to truly innovate anything.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
My main takeaway from the uprated comments is Apple should pay the Qualcomm tax and they should simply use the best available modem. To those posters I ask, I assume you mean Apple should increase the retail price accordingly with their traditional markup. Let's at least be internally consistent here.

Should they also surrender in the Qualcomm suit or proceed according to their strongly held belief? If they win do you expect a refund or are you fine with your considered point of view as of today?

I just ask.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
1) Yep, if Apple can charge $400 more for 512GB storage in iPhone that costs only $130, why not Qualcomm? In all seriousness, Qualcomm has a cap on the royalty base and it recently reduced that from $500 to $400.

2) IIRC, Qualcomm's rebate was paid out quarterly, not yearly. They are not fighting over interest payment.

#1 should be moot then right now, when this first started though, I could swear #1 was an issue.

#2 Quarterly is better, but I think I remember Apple still complaining about the overpay / rebate situation.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
QC is a sad little company. They are basically patent trolls now, doing to defined their lack of doing anything other than living off past patents. Life goes on. Someday soon QC won't. And everyone will be better off. Old school company that doe about as much as Dell to truly innovate anything.

You do realize they do have modems on sale in the market using their own IP? Or do you only appreciate Apple defending their own IP against the likes of Samsung et al??

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Remember when Apple introduced and started selling a new phone, they would phase out the older model within weeks? Hawkeye_a remembers.

Now they continue selling three year old models alongside new ones.

This is literally a lie. Apple used to sell last year's phones for $99 and up depending on the storage space under a two-year postpaid plan.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
What prior art.
They are not a troll.

Hedy Lamarr

Reactions: mbosse

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
RE: "In the U.S., the FTC is also taking Qualcomm to court next month over the alleged monopolistic behavior."

NO ONE should be surprised when the FTC takes AAPL to court over their Monopoly of "App Discovery" ... NOT the Argument that's currently being debated by the U.S. Supreme Court, which may have been valid in 2010-2012, but the real issue Here & Now, that of AAPL's Monopoly / Stranglehold on App Discovery !

Any dev is free to place ads in a newspaper, or even with Google.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
What a complete disaster. Tim Cook should have gone long ago -- his effects are going to continue on the company and culture long after you fire him, even if you did it now. It is imperative to act - shareholders have got to act and call for a vote. Something must be done, a supply man is leading the top Tech company in the world right now and he's running it into the ground long-term. Fix, NOW!
[doublepost=1545338493][/doublepost]The long-term effects on culture and image cannot be overstated, absolutely cannot. The latest reports stating that a bend in a $2k ipad is "normal" and not a defect? The battery lawsuits? Being barred over selling in multiple countries now? Disappointing US sales? Removing sales totals in figures going forward...

All the signs are there. Apple is not moving in the right direction and it doesn't matter how much money they have, that is not a good metric of company health at this point when the other canary in the coal mines are dropping like flies.

Reactions: pweicks and Okasian
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
What prior art.
They are not a troll.

What prior art.
They are not a troll.

Don’t know why you talk about wireless when we are talking about multi taking cards concepts that were not invented by them and were in Palm and BeOS collab.
[doublepost=1545338848][/doublepost]
That’s just like, your opinion, man

It’s a fact based opinion thanks.

If you just patent stuff (inc prior art) and don’t make stuff you’re a patent troll. Just like domain squatters.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Yeah this is a desperate attempt, we all know what when Apple puts its mind and money into something it tends to crush, look at the Qualcomm CPU's vs Apples, easily 3 generations ahead now in performance, last years iPhone X is still faster than the fastest Qualcomm chips.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
An iPhone 6S still is an absolute beast. I'd sooner use that over any Android phone.

You know, having owed 4 iPhones since the iPhone 3G I would have said the exact same thing. That's up until the 13th September 2018 (day after watching the Xs/Xr keynote) when I went out and bought an Android phone. iOS is significantly better than Android, I have zero doubts about that, but I'm not missing it. Essentially, I have no requirement for what differentiates it.

I doubt I'll buy another iPhone again. Yes I need to take that with a grain of salt as I have also said I'd never buy an Android phone until late this year. However the simple fact that Apple chooses no longer to compete in the mid-range space (where the iPhone SE was) there's not a lot for me to think about. I have no budget for a premium smartphone as I don't have any requirement for one. Computers are very much another matter where I'm "happy" to spend that extra.
[doublepost=1545341886][/doublepost]
You want a $1400 iPhone 11? Because that's how you get a $1400 iPhone 11

Every other manufacturer can seem to be able get Qualcomm chips into sub-$300 phones. Why is it so hard for Apple to get Qualcomm chips into an over-$1000 phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.