Apple to Unveil Television Set Operating System at WWDC?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BGR claims to have received information from a "trusted source" indicating that Apple will demonstrate the operating system for its television set at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next month. The company is reportedly making a public unveiling of the operating system ahead of the actual product in order to allow third-party manufacturers to build functionality into their components to allow them to be controlled from the Apple television set and remote.
This new OS is said to be much more feature-complete than the current OS that runs on the Apple TV, and is apparently the one that Apple's upcoming HDTV will run. Yes, that one.

We've heard Apple is actively trying to court manufacturers to use a new "control out" API in order for third-party manufacturers to make accessories that are compatible with the new Apple TV OS and the upcoming "iTV." It's said that by using the API, it will be possible to control any connected components all from the Apple remote (and the Apple remote iOS app as well, we're assuming).
The report's source indicates that Apple is unlikely to show off its actual television set at WWDC, and most rumors have suggested that the company won't introduce the product until late this year at the earliest.

BGR has a mixed track record of late, having accurately offered information on several iOS releases last year while being more hit-or-miss on hardware-related claims.

Article Link: Apple to Unveil Television Set Operating System at WWDC?

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
As evidenced by the huge growth of television series box-sets, the way we view television has changed. Nobody wants to sit through endless hours of advertising and any OS that will allow me to stream content when I want it and how I want it will get my vote. Current on-demand set-top boxes (be it cable or satellite) have the processing power of a very slow Nokia phone from the late 90s. Give me speed and iOS like UI and you can have money

Comment

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
So we are now going to get the same schedule for this TV as we do Phones? OS first and product a few months down the line.

You would think they would want to have select developers test this until the launch of the actual product.

Comment

Moonjumper

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I presume this means the Apple TV will be able to control set-top boxes, surround sound systems, etc. connected to the Apple television if they have the api. I hope it also means an app ecosystem for the TV, so that developers can extend functionality.

Comment

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I was excited when I read this on 9to5 a few minutes ago but now that I see it came from bgr I'm less excited cause they tend to just make stuff up.

Comment

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
It's about time somebody though of this, having multiple remotes is a stupid thing, remote for TV, remote for Apple TV, remote for cable box, remote for DVD/Blu-ray player, etc...

Now all these new Smart TVs doesn't look all that smart, eh?

Last edited:
Comment

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
This a gigantic year for Apple. I gotta say this year's lineup of updates are better than last year.

Comment

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
do we need this confusing sounding product?? no we dont... yes it will be cool to have a huge HDTV with a big apple loo on it though..lol perfect for MTV cribs..:rolleyes:

Comment

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

unless aapl can unify and gain good content control at good consumer pricing
- i still think aapl tv set is a bad move at this time
- keep it a hobby project

Comment

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Seems like a lot to be releasing at WWDC.
iOS 6, OSX Mountain Lion, New MacBook Pros, new iMacs, and now the Apple TV set (or just it's OS)?
No way we're going to get all of these things at once.

Comment

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
People replace TV's so much less frequently than computers. I assume that if Apple make a full OS complete with Apps etc, that they will also make a new AppleTV box/upgrade the old ones right?

I am about to get a new TV. I wouldn't want to pay what will quite obviously a premium to get an Apple TV, but I want to be able to take advantage of the Apple Ecosystem. I really hope they don't just put all these features in their own TV set...

Comment

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I almost forgot the OS could take iOS gaming to the next level (for serious gamers)! I'm hoping there's something for gamers on this OS. I'm excited! Imagine developing games for this, the fun begins!! :D

Comment

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Seems like a lot to be releasing at WWDC.
iOS 6, OSX Mountain Lion, New MacBook Pros, new iMacs, and now the Apple TV set (or just it's OS)?
No way we're going to get all of these things at once.
It seems unlikely but they did say this was going to be a big year. Also they can show stuff off without releasing it to the masses.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.