Apple to Unveil Television Set Operating System at WWDC?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 30, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

BGR claims to have received information from a "trusted source" indicating that Apple will demonstrate the operating system for its television set at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next month. The company is reportedly making a public unveiling of the operating system ahead of the actual product in order to allow third-party manufacturers to build functionality into their components to allow them to be controlled from the Apple television set and remote.
    The report's source indicates that Apple is unlikely to show off its actual television set at WWDC, and most rumors have suggested that the company won't introduce the product until late this year at the earliest.

[​IMG]
    BGR has a mixed track record of late, having accurately offered information on several iOS releases last year while being more hit-or-miss on hardware-related claims.

Article Link: Apple to Unveil Television Set Operating System at WWDC?

2. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

When tim cook says that there's a lot to look forward to, I'm in suspense. New redesigned macs? A TV? Redesigned iPhone? All of the above? What do they have in store for 2012?

3. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

As evidenced by the huge growth of television series box-sets, the way we view television has changed. Nobody wants to sit through endless hours of advertising and any OS that will allow me to stream content when I want it and how I want it will get my vote. Current on-demand set-top boxes (be it cable or satellite) have the processing power of a very slow Nokia phone from the late 90s. Give me speed and iOS like UI and you can have money

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

So we are now going to get the same schedule for this TV as we do Phones? OS first and product a few months down the line.

You would think they would want to have select developers test this until the launch of the actual product.

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

I presume this means the Apple TV will be able to control set-top boxes, surround sound systems, etc. connected to the Apple television if they have the api. I hope it also means an app ecosystem for the TV, so that developers can extend functionality.

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

[​IMG]

This will be me at the Apple Store when its released.

8. elvetio macrumors member

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I was excited when I read this on 9to5 a few minutes ago but now that I see it came from bgr I'm less excited cause they tend to just make stuff up.

10. djrod, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

It's about time somebody though of this, having multiple remotes is a stupid thing, remote for TV, remote for Apple TV, remote for cable box, remote for DVD/Blu-ray player, etc...

Now all these new Smart TVs doesn't look all that smart, eh?

11. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

are we sure this thing will get apps from launch?

12. dennno macrumors regular

This a gigantic year for Apple. I gotta say this year's lineup of updates are better than last year.

13. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Which part?

----------

this is the year!

14. elvetio macrumors member

the rumor itself

15. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

16. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I would sure hope so. If they want people to buy this thing, there needs to be video apps other than Netflix. People can't drop cable solely with the current Apple TV.

17. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Will that be another open SDK or only open to content providers?

18. GorgonPhone macrumors 6502a

do we need this confusing sounding product?? no we dont... yes it will be cool to have a huge HDTV with a big apple loo on it though..lol perfect for MTV cribs..:rolleyes:

19. nylonsteel macrumors 6502a

nylonsteel

re original article

unless aapl can unify and gain good content control at good consumer pricing
    - i still think aapl tv set is a bad move at this time
    - keep it a hobby project

20. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Seems like a lot to be releasing at WWDC.
    iOS 6, OSX Mountain Lion, New MacBook Pros, new iMacs, and now the Apple TV set (or just it's OS)?
    No way we're going to get all of these things at once.

21. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

The rumor says: the apple TV OS might be shown at the WWDC which is an event where apple show off new stuff.

22. AtomicEdge macrumors regular

People replace TV's so much less frequently than computers. I assume that if Apple make a full OS complete with Apps etc, that they will also make a new AppleTV box/upgrade the old ones right?

I am about to get a new TV. I wouldn't want to pay what will quite obviously a premium to get an Apple TV, but I want to be able to take advantage of the Apple Ecosystem. I really hope they don't just put all these features in their own TV set...

23. dennno macrumors regular

I almost forgot the OS could take iOS gaming to the next level (for serious gamers)! I'm hoping there's something for gamers on this OS. I'm excited! Imagine developing games for this, the fun begins!! :D

24. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

It seems unlikely but they did say this was going to be a big year. Also they can show stuff off without releasing it to the masses.