Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Expect for the fact that if you dropped ur phone, and the screen shatters and apple replaces only the screen, the big dent/nick & chips in the body ;that occured when the phone hit the cement will still be there.

TC is making lot of large "business typical" changes at apple lately and I think its gonna hurt them. Apple was anything but typical under SJ. Ands that's what made them what they are today...or actually yesterday.

That not the contract. The contract says for $50/each x2 they fix accidental damage, that would in my book include any damage not just screen.

----------

You're going to wind up overloading the local in-store repair desk and they are already challenged as it is! I brought my Mac Mini in for repair and they replaced my new i7 motherboard with an i5. Maybe that's how they are saving a billion.

One of the reasons I'm willing to pay a premium for Apple stuff is because it either works or they fix it in a timely manner. I don't want to wait 10 days for a phone repair.

How is that a good thing. I would be fuming. Another trip back to fix their screw up!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I want companies that put customers first. Not shareholders. I want companies with the rare talent that Apple has to set new standards for the future and themselves, and not suddenly stumble and get caught into what their shareholders want. That path is nothing new. We all know what the shareholders wants... and where speculation with money leads. Disaster, because greed has no limits.

Fair enough point. I'm not going to talk about iOS devices because we obviously know this is going to affect them more than Macs.

With Macs, Apple isn't really changing anything in terms of AppleCare other than making a move to a subscription model. People need to realize or get away from thinking that Apple thought people might want to sell their devices so AppleCare is going to maximize their value, Apple is our friend. No. This whole resale value thing was/is completely a market thing. You can't sit there and say, well Apple is evil now because they took away the ability to maximize my resale value. For all you know, Apple is completely unaware of added value when reselling so this change does nothing and definitely doesn't make the an evil company because reselling was never what AppleCare was about.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
I want companies that put customers first. Not shareholders. I want companies with the rare talent that Apple has to set new standards for the future and themselves, and not suddenly stumble and get caught into what their shareholders want. That path is nothing new. We all know what the shareholders wants... and where speculation with money leads. Disaster, because greed has no limits.

Apple will continue to produce great products for some years to come, but there's no doubt changes are happening now. Fast changes. A simple shift from Steve to Tim is all what was needed, to set it in motion. Apple is becoming a less exciting company for every day.

No one is calling up Jony Ive anymore, saying "Here's a dopey idea." You know what I mean.

Well said, thanks!

With anything that's "as a Service", or anything playing the licensing/lease game, the trend is paying more and getting less over time - there is no incentive for the customer, which is supposed to be #1. Not shareholders, who put money into the stock market gamble and demand a return on their investment while quickly forgetting they themselves also happen to be customers at some point...

As for Steve, he was told of product defects in the past, let the products go out, then blamed customers - like the iphone 4 antenna. Doesn't matter if there was a simple fix; anyone in a SMB yelling at their customer base would end up losing a lot of business. Steve had an entitlement complex... (he was also a leech, after dropping out of college, but plenty of issues exist with that previous CEO, who doesn't represent human values AFAIC, or many...)

But the past is the past. We'll see how Tim's words and actions work long-term.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
oh no

I spose its ok.....

However, the fact they swap it out with a brand new iphone ? This is actually better overall, because at least you know your getting brand new, weather if they just now replace the defective part, then this will be more servicing when the rest of it fails a week later anyway.

What will happen to current APP users ? are they fading this out ? or will Apple keep this ?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
This repair strategy makes it easier for people that are out of warranty as well. Instead of paying $229 to get their iPhone 5 replaced for a home button issue, they can pay $29 for the home button to be replaced.
This option has been available from 3rd parties for years. I'm not convinced Apple should focus on that.

Ya know while what you're saying sounds right theoretically, it's hard to take it seriously seeing as though this company has rebuilt themselves from virtually nothing to being the most valuable company not too long ago and currently having over $150 billion of available cash in the bank.
Empires rise and empires fall. While i don't like people glorifying SJ, he undoubtedly was key for the transformation you describe.

There have been quite some indications over the last two years that the Apple after SJ has been (and still is) changing compared to the company that "has rebuilt themselves from virtually nothing to being the most valuable company" (which they aren't anymore, btw.).

Before that, they were a "normal" company - and they were on the brink of bankruptcy. From the outside it seems they now change back towards a "normal" company. Perhaps it seems the same from the inside, considering the loss of a couple of high-profile employees over the last two years.

A "normal" company however would most probably never have been able to start the mentioned transformation - let alone finish it successfully.

A "normal" company that doesn't really differentiate themselves from others (anymore) would also be troubled to fight off competition with the sometimes strange and erratic behaviour Apple is showing (e.g. missing product roadmaps, long facelift intervals, price policy for older tech, narrow and arguably incomplete product portfolio etc. pp.).

Not to put you down but I'm 10000000% certain that Apple knows what they are doing will work a whole lot more than you do.
I can't offer the success story of the Apple you describe, but i have extensive business knowledge of "normal" companies. Thus i'm well aware of how numbers and business cases come together and what the "usual flaws" are. Especially in big companies.

Therefore i unfortunately can't share your optimism...

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Stockholders want more money. You have a say if you own at least 1 apple share. You can attend the annual shareholders conference and voice your opinion then. Or do nothing and let the company die off like most corporate companies do after they lose sight of what made them special to begin with.

I do own some stocks from fruity company, but it's not like i'll be able to make time to go there and voice my opinions.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
Ever consider that rather than "saving $1 billion," Apple is looking to drive $1 billion in waste OUT of their supply chain, by doing in-house repairs rather than sending the devices back overseas to be refurbished?

Sounds like a smart business move to me. Why throw away a billion dollars for nothing? As long as the repairs done in-house are done properly, I don't see what the problem is. And you get your own device back, with all your information, rather than someone else's old device, with their information possibly still on it (which has been mentioned in this thread).

Obviously there was a reason the refurbished units were refurbished. Could have been one of many issues. And who here has visited a refurb center to say with certainty that the work being done there is far superior to the work being done in stores?

The billion dollars being thrown away could be used for more R&D, hiring top people away from other companies, developing better software, building new data centers, etc.

gyang333

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
I suppose that those who blamed John Browett for the cuts to Apple store employee hours and a more sales focused target can now see he was a scape-goat and this is what Tim Cook encouraged/instructed him to do? They fired Browett after the backlash, but clearly this bottom-line approach was not just something Browett focused on, and rather a new philosophy embraced by the Job-less Apple Corp?

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
This could be an end to an era and so long to resale value, because if they take the ability away for an item to have warranty its going to be a endless disaster of resale value. People do pay more for an item that still has some type of warranty I see why Apple says why the warranty will now apply to only the person instead of the device. Its so obvious and is now an Job-less era for Apple as a whole.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This could be an end to an era and so long to resale value, because if they take the ability away for an item to have warranty its going to be a endless disaster of resale value. People do pay more for an item that still has some type of warranty I see why Apple says why the warranty will now apply to only the person instead of the device..

Whoa, I missed that part. As it stands, anytime you sell your Mac the buyer needs to call AppleCare to transfer the policy. Would this still apply? It follows the serial number of the device, however if the device is no longer owned by the seller and still has coverage, that coverage should transfer to the buyer. Otherwise, the seller is not receiving the full coverage they paid for regardless if the machine is in their possession. It should still be transferrable to the new owner.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple. You don't need an extra billion a year. I thought you guys were more hyped over the 'consumer experience' rather than profits...

A superior user experience has been a good source of profits at Apple for a long time. It's not either/or. Ultimately, at its essence, Apple is selling the user experience to its customers, with the hardware being a mere vehicle for it.

TheMarc

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Just adding my voice, in case some people at Apple get the message..

It sounds like a bad move.
Obviously, besides great products to start with, Apple's great service and assurance of satisfaction with no fuss exchange has always been one of the most important reasons I buy their products.

Whatever change they make to their policy has to be with the objective of providing better customer service, not saving money (which might cost them).

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007

apple genius's people are terrible. you think they know what they are doing but in reality...

then again i am basing this off my laptop, but i had the genuis repair staff screw up my display hinge, and forget to plug in the blacklit keyboard and dvd rom.

genius bar also messed up my co-workers retina macbook pro.

perhaps these are isolated incidents, but from past experience, once you open a device to fix it, you are just asking for something to screw up. which is what i have loved about apple replacing the phones no questions asked.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
I spose its ok.....

However, the fact they swap it out with a brand new iphone ? This is actually better overall, because at least you know your getting brand new, weather if they just now replace the defective part, then this will be more servicing when the rest of it fails a week later anyway...

I've got to take my car (with new car warranty in place) into the dealer this week. I'm gonna show them your email. I'm pretty sure that'll convince them to just replace the bugger...

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I've got to take my car (with new car warranty in place) into the dealer this week. I'm gonna show them your email. I'm pretty sure that'll convince them to just replace the bugger...

My dealer will give me a loaner until it is repaired. Highly doubt Apple will do that while I wait a week to get it back after I send it in. I guess Apple really wants to be like RIM.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
That not the contract. The contract says for $50/each x2 they fix accidental damage, that would in my book include any damage not just screen.

----------

How is that a good thing. I would be fuming. Another trip back to fix their screw up!
Calm down. I have a great local manager who had a brand new Mini shipped from China. He fixed it, but it just shows that local repair is not going to be as good as a new product delivered that day in exchange for a defective product.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
The more I read into this article, the more BS it sounds.

Let's consider this for a moment: it says logic boards replacements would be dealt in house. Can someone refer to me ANY other device or service that actually replaces logic boards rather than just the entire device? Even the worst of warranty programs will replace the device rather than the logic board. Replacing this alone is FAR too costly and replacing it opens the door for further issues. So I definitely call BS on that point.

Secondly, the geniuses already have a tool to run diagnostics on iPhones and other devices. They use it whenever someone takes a device in to be serviced. They can even use it remotely over the phone and have you send diagnostics to the phone advisor. Check it out on the apple warranty website, it's pretty easy to find.

Third, the point on the sleep wake buttons. These are often part of the frame and replacing them is not simply as easy as putting a new one in. I suppose you could but it's a long job for such a small thing.

Oh and to the person saying it could be good cause even oow iPhones with faulty home buttons could be fixed for 29 bucks, consider this: Apple right now charges 29 dollars (+tax) to just replace the back of the phone 4/4s. This is simply removing two screws, sliding the panel up and putting another one on and re-screwing. Do you REALLY think they'd charge 29 bucks to do that for a job that requires removing the entire logic board, speaker, vibrate motor, wifi antenna, plus the 20+ screws that are all under 1.5mm? Not to mention carefully peeling the ribbon cable, then reapplying adhesive for the new ribbon cable? Anyone who has actually worked on iPhones or any mobile phones for that matter knows this is crap. Perhaps they discussed it, but I highly doubt it'll become a reality.

----------

Ever consider that rather than "saving $1 billion," Apple is looking to drive $1 billion in waste OUT of their supply chain, by doing in-house repairs rather than sending the devices back overseas to be refurbished?

Sounds like a smart business move to me. Why throw away a billion dollars for nothing? As long as the repairs done in-house are done properly, I don't see what the problem is. And you get your own device back, with all your information, rather than someone else's old device, with their information possibly still on it (which has been mentioned in this thread).

Obviously there was a reason the refurbished units were refurbished. Could have been one of many issues. And who here has visited a refurb center to say with certainty that the work being done there is far superior to the work being done in stores?

The billion dollars being thrown away could be used for more R&D, hiring top people away from other companies, developing better software, building new data centers, etc.

It's hardly throwing away or "for nothing" when it keeps customers coming back for your new products. Not to mention the fact that it keeps customers within the eco system and keeps them loyal to your brand. Could save them 1 billion (if true) in the short term, but long term may end up costing them billions more.

Also, I don't get how people keep bringing up losing information. I'm sure it happens, but isn't that what iCloud is for?

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
3/3GS - display or whole unit
4/4s - back, back camera, vib motor (some), battery, speaker (4s)
5- reciever, speaker, home button, battery, sim ejector arm,

People lose information! It happens A LOT! Not everyone is aware they have to back up.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Has Apple done anything good since Steve passed?

Don't say mini iPad, that was a reaction to the Nexus 7.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I think this is a good move done by Apple (for once). I got several Apple computers and several little devises like an iPad's and iPhone's for use with both business and personal. It would be very handy for me to be able to go to my Apple store here in Amsterdam the Netherlands, where I live, and let the Apple boys's fix the hardware when necessary. No need to think about the question if I have a warrant or not, just knowing that they can always fix stuff, anytime, whenever I'm in need for help is a good thing.

I'm willig to pay monthly for such a service.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
The more I read into this article, the more BS it sounds.

Let's consider this for a moment: it says logic boards replacements would be dealt in house. Can someone refer to me ANY other device or service that actually replaces logic boards rather than just the entire device? Even the worst of warranty programs will replace the device rather than the logic board. Replacing this alone is FAR too costly and replacing it opens the door for further issues. So I definitely call BS on that point.

Samsung and sony replace only the logic board on your phone. Even if that implies ressoldering small stuff like the volume buttons flex.

benrd

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
I went in to an apple store yesterday with a faulty sleep button and was out in less than 10 mins with a new(probably refurbished) iphone 5.
glad it went now and not when this kicked in :D

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I can see the long lines and more backlog in stores now if they start doing the in-store repairs. It takes 30-40 minutes to get a swap out sometimes, and now it will take longer, if not you will have to leave it there and then pick it up later or another day. I think this method will start to fail and then the Apple experience we know will be gone.

Sounds like the Best Buy thing with Samsung, but does anyone know if BB will be repairing Samsung products in the BB stores?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.