Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
So, is this going to have the very annoying rainbow effect inherent to rigid OLED panels used on Samsung tablets? If so this is a huge downgrade.

For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, it’s essentially color shifting that happens in a rainbow like pattern when at an angle to you. Given that tablets are so big, various parts of the screen will automatically be angled/rainbowed and in your field of vision.

Last edited by a moderator:

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
double oled layer helps in contrast and HDR, but they double the blue fading pixels issue
So....2 ups 1 down while with mini-led, if Apple put a lot of money in it and have dimming zone/1pixel that would be second best display tech next to micro-led
Wouldn’t it help with pixel fading and burn in? Two 500 nit displays stacked versus one at 1000 would slow down degredation by a lot.

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
The hardware isn’t the issue for the iPads it’s the software
Yup, 2018 iPad Pro is still sufficient for most people buying a iPad and there is no way anybody is maxing out a M1 iPad Pro to its limits let alone a M2/M3 (or M4?)

Reactions: Tagbert

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
"Slimmed down bezels and a thinner design?" Apple keeps making both the iPad thinner as well as my wallet. 💸
I don’t want a slimmer iPad, they should just put in a bigger battery and market it as the iPad with the best battery life. It’s already super thin, couldn't imagine it much thinner and I don’t know why you’d want it to.

Reactions: artifex and Tagbert

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Your mistake is to believe Apple’s marketing. That doesn’t mean there aren’t a lot of sensible use cases for the iPad (Pro or not).
It can be believed, otherwise it’s false advertisement. One just has to understand context and interpret correctly without making extra conclusions. “iPad can replace a laptop” doesn’t mean for everyone, but Apple isn’t going to say that explicitly in marketing because it’s marketing. Marketing usually has to be taken very literally. Yes, it can, not will for sure.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Yup, 2018 iPad Pro is still sufficient for most people buying a iPad and there is no way anybody is maxing out a M1 iPad Pro to its limits let alone a M2/M3 (or M4?)

I disaree. My A12Z is showing it's age with random slowdowns, background apps needing to reload, etc. I'd assume the M1 is faring much better, but the A12s have definitely seen better days.

I don’t want a slimmer iPad, they should just put in a bigger battery and market it as the iPad with the best battery life. It’s already super thin, couldn't imagine it much thinner and I don’t know why you’d want it to.

Weight is also a concern when it comes to battery. If I'm remembering correctly, the battery doesn't even fill all available internal volume of the iPad Pros. You could probably make the whole thing thinner, and make the battery wider, to make up the difference.

Though I ultimately agree, more battery please Tim!

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, where you can draw on the screen! You forgot that part, eh?
I’ve been wishing for a portable Mac that you can draw on for decades, but apparently the market has been too small for Apple to care. I still wish but not sure why they would care now 🤷‍♂️

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
I disaree. My A12Z is showing it's age with random slowdowns, background apps needing to reload, etc. I'd assume the M1 is faring much better, but the A12s have definitely seen better days.

Weight is also a concern when it comes to battery. If I'm remembering correctly, the battery doesn't even fill all available internal volume of the iPad Pros. You could probably make the whole thing thinner, and make the battery wider, to make up the difference.

Though I ultimately agree, more battery please Tim!
Yeah, the M Chips have much more RAM but still they feel relatively quick considering they are 6 year old devices. More battery is definitely a must lol

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Power-efficient?
Looks like those are PWM. Again. More efficient and less convenient for the eyes. When will they stop selling OLED as a “killer-feature”? I cannot use any modern iPhones at all except SE, now they will also ruin iPads

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I’ve been wishing for a portable Mac that you can draw on for decades, but apparently the market has been too small for Apple to care. I still wish but not sure why they would care now 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, it’d be easier to just put iOS on an iPad, but they want to lock you into two ecosystems, not one.

blairo32

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
May upgrade my 11" A12Z. Still undecided it needs upgrading. Only thing I don't like anymore is battery noticable drains. Moving up to M3 or M4 also gives me access to newer games I'd maybe consider. Looking forward to announcement minus price increase

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
So if Apple can put OLED panels in 12.9 inch iPads, what's stopping them from from putting OLED panels in a 13.3" MacBook? Is the extra 0.4 inches really that difficult? Or is there some technical limitation with OLED that prevents them from being used in "real" laptops?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
People arguing for macOS on an iPad probably aren't thinking it through properly. Like, if you want macOS then buy a laptop.

I'd rather see iPadOS get more macOS-like features. Especially multi-user support. I long ago vowed never to buy another iPad until it supports user accounts, and so far I've stuck to it.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So if Apple can put OLED panels in 12.9 inch iPads, what's stopping them from from putting OLED panels in a 13.3" MacBook? Is the extra 0.4 inches really that difficult? Or is there some technical limitation with OLED that prevents them from being used in "real" laptops?
I might expect OLED MacBook Pros in the coming years. Not the 13.6" (not 13.3") MacBook Air anytime soon though.

Reactions: Tagbert

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles

No such limitation as far as I'm aware - Asus, Dell and Samsung already sell OLED laptops.

Might just be Apple using the iPP as a proving platform. Didn't the 12.9" have miniLED before the new Macbook Pros?

chrispyk

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Honestly, this is gonna cost me some downvotes but, I’m with you here.

Most rumors (if not all) point towards an OLED release. And I think they are right. But OLED has all those disadvantages and also the PWM problem for those sensitive to it.

I don’t know if all the new iPad Pros are coming with OLED, but if Apple could provide us with the same device with an LCD display (this is, an iPad Air with the same internal specs), it would be great news for those of us that don’t care about OLED black quality, don’t like to be exposed to OLED during prolonged periods of time, or just don’t want to spend so much money to have the latest SoC on our iPad.
I've not tracked iPad announcements over the years (hey, for Netflix and news reading, my iPad Gen 6 is just starting to show its age) but is there precedent for Apple to introduce shiny new OLED iPad Pro models and either keep current gen models or also introduce a non-OLED iPad Pro set of products? None of the rumor-mongering I've seen has hinted at this one way or the other.

FWIW, I'm looking at iPad Pro since I'm wanting to introduce it into my photo/video editing workflows when I'm out in the wild. I'm torn as to whether I should go ahead and buy an existing iPP this week or risk that next week will intro products I deem too expensive and not have the current gen in stock. I guess there's always the used market, huh.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I've not tracked iPad announcements over the years (hey, for Netflix and news reading, my iPad Gen 6 is just starting to show its age) but is there precedent for Apple to introduce shiny new OLED iPad Pro models and either keep current gen models or also introduce a non-OLED iPad Pro set of products? None of the rumor-mongering I've seen has hinted at this one way or the other.

FWIW, I'm looking at iPad Pro since I'm wanting to introduce it into my photo/video editing workflows when I'm out in the wild. I'm torn as to whether I should go ahead and buy an existing iPP this week or risk that next week will intro products I deem too expensive and not have the current gen in stock. I guess there's always the used market, huh.
I think you should wait until the announcement on May 7th and, if you don’t want the new OLED iPad Pro, you can always grab one of the remaining M2 iPad Pro in stock at Apple Stores or, if they run out of them, get one at Amazon or any other retailer. This is a great machine, by the way.

Reactions: chrispyk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.