Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
I was looking in the Advanced Notes section of the iPod Notes guide and found this:

Note: Linking to photos and videos is supported only for 5th generation iPods running iPod Software
version 1.2 or later. All other Notes feature capabilities described in this document are supported for
iPod models with display screens, beginning with the touch-screen models
Just a typo or a slip up by Apple...?

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
That's definately a slip up by Apple.

It's obvious they had intentions of releasing the touch screen, but something must have happened, and now we have to wait.:(

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
That is interesting. They may have meant the old 3rd gen that received new notes features, but I've never seen those buttons called a "touch screen" before.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
iMeowbot said:
That is interesting. They may have meant the old 3rd gen that received new notes features, but I've never seen those buttons called a "touch screen" before.
Note: Linking to photos and videos is supported only for 5th generation iPods running iPod Software version 1.2 or later. All other Notes feature capabilities described in this document are supported for iPod models with display screens, beginning with the touch-screen models.
The presentation features son't seem to be in the 5G or 5.5G iPods.

B

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
balamw said:
The presentation features son't seem to be in the 5G or 5.5G iPods.

B

I think they mean that the 5 and 5.5G iPods support all the features in the document, including linking to media. The older iPods support everything except the media linking. You would also need a 5G iPod to play the video...

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Elijahg said:
Just a typo or a slip up by Apple...?
I'd say it's a typo. The way this note is constructed implies that they are referring to previous iPod models when they say "All other Notes feature capabilities described in this document are supported for iPod models with display screens, beginning with the touch-screen models."

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Wow. I am torn between the typo camp and the slip-up camp...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 756

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Elijahg said:
I think they mean that the 5 and 5.5G iPods support all the features in the document, including linking to media. The older iPods support everything except the media linking. You would also need a 5G iPod to play the video...
Perhaps... The file looks to me to have been released prematurely. So it may be that the additional features mentioned were excised from the file, which may also lend some further credence to the fact that the touch-screen iPod has been rumored to have eBook functionality...

The file is dated 10/20/06 and many sections like the one I quoted are highlighted with a red line in the margin as if they were changes to the file that have yet to be accepted. Why would they leave revision marks in a document on the web?

I wasn't aware of museum mode, but intend to play with it now that I am. Seems like an iPod version of Hypercard. :D

B

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
I vote slip-up, and a monumental one at that.

What possibly could they be misspelling?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
fenixx said:
What possibly could they be misspelling?
One possibility is that the tech writer was at a loss for words. "Touch wheel" is usually used to describe the 2nd generation iPod to distinguish it from the early mechanical wheel model. The 3rd gen was the oddball, with its separate row of touch-sensitive buttons, and in end-user documentation it's usually called the "iPod with dock connector".

"Dock connector" may have been a better descriptor for them to use, since that would identify all the models that have this mode.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'm in the slip-up camp, as even if the phrase "touch-wheel" eluded the author, odds are that "touch-screen" wouldn't seem like a viable alternative wording to anyone with a bit of sense.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
runplaysleeprun said:
I'm in the slip-up camp, as even if the phrase "touch-wheel" eluded the author, odds are that "touch-screen" wouldn't seem like a viable alternative wording to anyone with a bit of sense.
I agree 100%. If you're a tech-writer and on a project, you know what you're talking about.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It's just a mistaken use of the word "screen". Clearly, the "beginning with" is in reference to older models, not some new feature. Someone was working late, that's all.

Of course we'll see touch-screen iPods at some point, but this isn't the smoking gun here.

dbhays

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Salinas, CA
Apple Touch-Screen iPod Reference?

Just found this. Hope it has not been posted already. I did a search. This PDF from apple confirms touch screen.

notes2.png

PDF here

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Wow, if that's not from the horse's mouth than I don't know what is. I say that this is concrete evidence that Apple will soon be releasing a touch screen iPod.

Sweet :)

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Cool! :D
But beginning with the touch screen indicates an older, already existing model, just as Buschmaster said.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Cool! :D
But beginning with the touch screen indicates an older, already existing model.

Yeah, for example, you wouldn't say.

This is supported in all mouses. Starting with the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

Or

This is supported in all portables. Starting with the Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Touch-Screen iPod Reference?

An iPod Notes Developer PDF is receiving attention for referencing a "touch-screen" iPod with the following passage:

Note: Linking to photos and videos [from Notes] is supported only for 5th generation iPods running iPod Software version 1.2 or later. All other Notes feature capabilities described in this document are supported for iPod models with display screens, beginning with the touch-screen models.

In context, the reference appears to refer to older iPods and may simply be a typographical error, instead intended to refer to "touch-wheel" models.

"Touch-wheel" iPods were introduced shortly after the original iPod introduction ("scroll wheel").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.