Apple Trademarks iCalc

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacOSXRumors notes that Apple has trademarked the word "iCalc" under the category of Computer Software.

The trademark application was filed on March 28th 2005.

The rumor site speculates on a possible spreadsheet application, but it may also be an alternative name to the previously trademarked 'Graphulator'.

woxel1

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2004
It looked like iChalk to me on my first glance.
Actually, Chalk would be a better name than iCalc. Anything would!

evilbert420

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
So what does the "i" signify? Some sort of sharing of data?

I always thought iDVD was misnamed. iTunes makes sense, iPhoto makes sense, iMovie is starting to push it, but iDVD made no sense to me unless Apple has changed "i" to mean "integrated" rather than "internet."

And then they went and did GarageBand. :confused:

iCalc iCaulk

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
I don't think it would be used for a spreadsheet application because of the names of the applications currently in iWork. Neither Pages nor Keynote have the "i" used in their name. I would think they would try to keep the names all similar in some way and iCalc wouldn't be similar to the other two. Maybe it's for a new calculator or something, or maybe it's for nothing at all.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I don't care for the name that much either, but it always nice when apple comes out with new software, especially when they fill a need that is not being met, or do it better :cool:

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Maybe its more like iCaulk, as in the junk you put on tile and what not. You heard it here first, Apple is moving into the construction/home improvement arena.

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
Text in Excel is really bad readable on Mac, also Word. Or I'm I the only one that noticed that? That's why I really hope it's an Apple Spreadsheet!

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
I thought Graphulator was kinda cool. Oh well, so long as the graphing calulcator returns in OS X and brings its friends: Dictionary and Thesaurus . . .

evilbert420

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
SPG said:
It would be nice to have an Excel killer on the Mac...break the hold of MS Office already.
Ironically, it was the Mac that made Excel. It was such a radical departure from the text-based DOS 1-2-3.

lalcan

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Left of the center
The spreadsheet part of iWork will be released at least until the next Macworld, and i don't think Apple would use iCalc... that name is too weak compared to Keynote and Pages, i think it would be something like Solver or Results.

iCalc seems like the dashboard's widget version of Calculator

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Not just for numbers any more

This would have to be the Calculator app. The name is far too "numbery" for a spreadsheet program, assuming Apple will continue to push the old ClarisWorks "spreadsheets aren't just for numbers" concept when they release the spreadsheet app.

georgeyb

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2005
Icalc

Most likeley that this is a new app that will appear in the new version of iLife ('06) due to be announced next January, take it from me, thats all i can say............................... ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i Calc definitely sounds better to me than Graphulator, but thats just myself, it would be cool if it ended up being a spreadsheep app though

smorr

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Montreal QC
Pencil

I agree with others, iCalc is too close to iCal. Personally, I think "Pencil" would be a better name -- As I tell my students -- do your math in Pencil. I guess by that logic, a word processor would be monikered "pen".

But Steve won't listen to me -- he hasn't yet. and I have been talking Really Loud!
:D

a cheesepuff

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2005
Here
Trowaman said:
I thought Graphulator was kinda cool. Oh well, so long as the graphing calulcator returns in OS X and brings its friends: Dictionary and Thesaurus . . .
There is supposed to be a Dashboard widget that has a Dictionary and Thesaurus.

As for iCalc, it does sound way too much like iCal.

bcsmith

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Oaktown, CA
They could also be trademarking this so that someone else can not. iPhone jumps to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty of other words/phrases that Apple has trademarked, but is not actively marketing.

-- Ben

kherdin

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
Bah. Calculater is fine. iCalc is lame. When they use an abbreviation after the i, it sounds lame. Like iCal. iCal should be like Calendar, like Address Book isn't iAddr, or Terminal isn't iTerm or TextEdit isn't iTxt. Ugh.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
evilbert420 said:
So what does the "i" signify? Some sort of sharing of data?

I always thought iDVD was misnamed. iTunes makes sense, iPhoto makes sense, iMovie is starting to push it, but iDVD made no sense to me unless Apple has changed "i" to mean "integrated" rather than "internet."

And then they went and did GarageBand. :confused:

iCalc iCaulk
iDon't think the iDea has anyreasoning behind it but marketing anymore.

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
awinn233 said:
Why not just keep the Calculator name?
Maybe it's because you can't trademark a general word like Calculator. Or, as bcsmith said, maybe Apple's just trademarking the word just in case they decide to use it in the future, so no one takes it.