Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Trademarks 'Mac Pro' in U.S.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple previously trademarked the term "Mac Pro" in New Zealand in late 2005. On May 17th 2006, the same name was trademarked through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office under the following classifications:

computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; notebook computers; laptop computers; tablet computers; computer servers; handheld computers; mobile computers; hard drives; audio speakers; speakers for computers; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; magnetic data carriers; computer gaming machines; microprocessors; memories boards; monitors; displays; keyboards; computer input devices; computer cables; modems; printers; parts and accessories for all the aforesaid goods

This appears to add further evidence that Apple may be considering changing the name of the PowerMac to "Mac Pro" in the near future. Apple rebranded the PowerBook in January to the "MacBook Pro" and subsequently dropped the iBook name in favor of "MacBook".

Steve Jobs had indicated that they were moving away from the "Power" name when the MacBook Pro was first announced:

It's a new name [MacBook Pro] because we're kinda done with 'Power' and because we want 'Mac' in the name of our products."

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Unorthodox said:
Does this mean their going to make computer called "Mac"?
--Laptops
MacBook
MacBook Pro
--Desktops
Mac Pro
Mac (previously known as "iMac")
Mac mini

I really hope they do because it kinda feels like there is a desktop missing... I know there is the iMac but... it feels to consumer oriented... I kinda want that middle ground between the G5 and the iMac.. maybe the GMac. Just kidding.

But more so something that is tower like with upgradibility and a higher processor than the iMac but not a workstation processor like the G5.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
Unorthodox said:
Does this mean their going to make computer called "Mac"?
--Laptops
MacBook
MacBook Pro
--Desktops
Mac Pro
Mac (previously known as "iMac")
Mac mini

I assume they'd keep iMac simply because of name recognition. Now if they had a cheapo tower that was better than a Mac Mini, not as good as a Mac Pro (or as expensive), and lacking the screen of an iMac and called it simply Mac I'd be happy.

edit: Evidentially poppe and I had the same thought

razzmatazz

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Texas
Motley said:
I assume they'd keep iMac simply because of name recognition. Now if they had a cheapo tower that was better than a Mac Mini, not as good as a Mac Pro (or as expensive), and lacking the screen of an iMac and called it simply Mac I'd be happy.

I think that would cause confusion

"I got a Mac"..."Which one?"..."No, I have the Mac"

I don't like the idea...

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
razzmatazz said:
I think that would cause confusion

"I got a Mac"..."Which one?"..."No, I have the Mac"

I don't like the idea...

Haha i never thought about it that way... still maybe they could call it umm...
MacTop (Mac + Desktop)... pretty lame... oh well i'm not creative enough for it...

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
sam10685 said:
maybe it'll have 5 duo core's. ...and use liquid nitrogen to cool it.

Or how about one of those computers that uses spinning atoms or what ever? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Mac Pro is gonna have 1024 MB Vcard with Blue ray and HD DVD for sure:cool:

R3z

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2002
ifjake said:
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.
You will never,
never,
never hear anyone in marketing use that phrase.
Never.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
berkleeboy210 said:
When I first saw this thread a minutes ago I thought the exact same thing. - It will still have Mac in its name. - MacPro just doesn't sound right.

Really, all these names sound like something from "MacDonalds"...

I'd like a Big Mac!

EDIT: and yeah, I kinda like the way Powerbook rolls off the tongue instead of Mac-Book-Pro.

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
New Jersey
NOOOOO!!!!

I like PowerMac

I know Jobs said we're done with power, but that was about the G4 chip kind of power (watts and voltage) , now the top of the line Apple's have the other kind of Power(extreme, tough, and great).

But Apple really is missing that middle ground desktop. the one that allows for user upgrades, is stunning in design, but is still headless. A computer that is powerful but not quite professional grade, or prosumer as some call this type of product The one that I think many would buy, the type of people who think the iMac is not enough for them, while the PowerMac is just too expensive and hulking)

Ahh.... let the rumors about the "Mac" begin!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.