Apple trying to ban iPhone filming at concerts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ugahairydawgs, Jun 16, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's really wacky and doesn't make sense. Just consider if I was trying to film something that was low light like a concert and held it up similarly.

There's a huge difference between patenting something and actually seeing it applied to a product. Apple patents a lot of stuff that never make it into a product.

2. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

As maflynn said, that was just a patent that started making the rounds about a month ago. I am sure Apple only patented it to have a foundation to fall back on just in case they ever implement something like this or in case someone else does.

3. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Guys this is in the Sun which my British friends inform me is about on par with the Daily Mail.

4. LarryC macrumors 6502

LarryC

Apple to ban iPhone filming at events

Link to story

IPHONE users may soon be stopped from filming at concerts — as a result of new Apple technology.
    The leading computer company plans to build a system that will sense when people are trying to video live events — and turn off their cameras.
    A patent application filed by Apple revealed how the technology would work.
    If an iPhone were held up and used to film during a concert infra-red sensors would detect it.
    These sensors would then contact the iPhone and automatically disable its camera function.
    People would still be able to send text messages and make calls.
    The new technology is seen as an attempt to protect the interests of event organisers and broadcasters who have exclusive rights to concerts.
    The companies are often left frustrated when videos of shows appear online via websites such as YouTube which let users watch them for free.
    Apple filed for the patent 18 months ago — and it is thought if successful it will help them negotiate deals with record labels to sell content through iTunes.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3641676/Apple-to-ban-iPhone-gig-filming.html#ixzz1PRk5TDMV

5. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

6. whiskeytown macrumors member

So people will just film it with a camcorder then? :rolleyes:
    If record companies are that bothered, why don't they try and get youtube to pull these videos that have been uploaded?

P.S. I wouldn't necessarily believe anything that The Sun publishes!

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

8. seble macrumors 6502a

Guys the sun is the equivalent to that mag that said they caught Steve Jobs leaving a cancer research centre on video.

9. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

So what you're saying is, The Sun, if it were a cable news network, would be Fox News? :p

10. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Lol from the sun. British people use that when the toilet paper runs out! :D

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol how would it know if your at a concert, or it was a live performance you paid the "rights" for like in your backyard or a special event?

will people not be allowed to film their kids at school plays and concerts?

12. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

Seeing as both being Murdoch companies that's a very good analogy.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I have no idea of the validity of the rumor but if you guys read the article the phone senses it is at a concert by outside infrared sensors sensing it there and contacting the iphone to tell it to shut off.

So I doubt this will affect your backyard concerts unless you decide to implement those infra red sensors and tell them to shut off any iphones they sense.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Don't you mean Faux News? ;)

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so these infrared sensors are already used by mainstream concert promoters?

16. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Brilliant idea
    YouTube is flooded with these stupid videos
    Grainy image and awful sound.

A dark loud concert is not the place to be taking videos.

The only good thing about the sun is the page three girls lol

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Just turn off location services and you'll be fine. they have to ask you for your location info before they can use it. Just say 'no'.

18. seble macrumors 6502a

Yes to both

19. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

That's not enough.

It should also turn itself off when filming the police beat up a suspect.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The article says 'infrared sensors.'

I think what this means is that the concert venue would have to put up specific 'infrared transmitters' in order to block the cameras. So it's unlikely your kid's school play would be doing that.

But I don't really belive Apple is doing this, anyway. But it's a compelling technology. Imagine if movie theaters or military bases could put up transmitters that would block cameras.

It wouldn't work, of course, because people would just get another camera. I'm just saying that I can see why people would be interested in the idea.

21. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Read below.

22. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Meh... IR filter sticker over the lens?! I dont care I dont go to concerts :D

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, besides "buy another camera" there are just too many ways to block this.

It'll never actually work but, much like online-music DRM, I'm sure many people in charge want it to work. And as we've seen, if the people in charge want to believe, they may end up putting money into it no matter how stupid it actually is.

24. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Its not working off location services so turning that part off would be useless. The phone is sensing an infrared command from the venue. When it recieves it the phone follows the command and disables the video recording. Supposably you can still take still pictures. I have seen this technology used before in venues but instead of turning off the cameras it would mess with the Auto Focus on the old VHS Cameras. This is just like the Movie Theatre's jamming cell phones so they can't ring or be used while the movie is playing