Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
If the upcoming iPhone looks even somewhat close to this, it would have to take 6-dimensional 50MP medium format - images, just to make up for its looks...

On a serious note: This is rather sad to hear. Because if there is one thing Sony is (still) good at, it's making really decent CMOS-sensors...

The nasty back bump just got bigger. DISGUSTING. Jony Ive: the surface should be FLAT not with these nasty moles and warts.
"I wouldn't call it the bump" - imaginary quote by you-know-who

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Nature perfected vision with TWO eyes spaced apart from each other. Not sure why our digital devices don't emulate that already by now. There should be two separate, single cameras on either side of the device, and then the images are combined digitally, just like the brain does. Am I wrong? Is it too technically difficult?

I fear you may be overlooking the obvious. There isn't a single professional camera out there that had what you describe — and we're talking $40K cameras with a resolution higher than I can count up to.

If it was that effective, it'd be done by now.

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
No dual-camera on the 4.7 inch will cost Apple one sale. I can't handle a gargantuan iPhone in my pocket...but I really want a dual-camera. Guess I'll be waiting to see what the iPhone 8 brings.

I honestly think are over-exaggerating about how big the plus is. I guess maybe it's because I like big phones I tried the 4.7 phone and it was just too small for my liking. I guess I'm happy their catering to my needs. I just kinda feel bad for the 4.7 inchers being left in the dust. I do agree that Fragmentation is one of apple's biggest issues.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Yeah, because Apple would offer both options at the same price, and you could choose which one you prefer. :rolleyes:

It's quite obvious that the poster meant make ONE spec of iPhone. Make it as best you can. Stop fragmenting with 'Pro' options and add-ons and differing feature. Different screen sizes, yes. Different specs — no.
So... once again... because you have a hard time making decisions, I should be limited from being able to choose from a base model, or a "pro" model.

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
An even better camera! Oh, I am so excited... or wait... o_O my iPhone 6 camera already seems perfect.

Apple, we need some real innovation and a compelling reason to upgrade. Android devices has better specs, and increasingly better software. And they now have that cool Google Daydream stuff. While we get an even better camera... duh.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
No dual-camera on the 4.7 inch will cost Apple one sale. I can't handle a gargantuan iPhone in my pocket...but I really want a dual-camera. Guess I'll be waiting to see what the iPhone 8 brings.

Of course the 4.7 will lack some feature...only to include it the next model year as a feature update.

Reactions: 5105973

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
So... once again... because you have a hard time making decisions, I should be limited from being able to choose from a base model, or a "pro" model.

So... once again... stop fragmenting a line, confusing the consumer, and just make EVERY iPhone model a 'Pro' model. Consistency, standardisation, and quality. At their core, (pardon the pun), that's what Apple have done best.

Would you prefer different iterations of OS X too?

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
So infuriating that they are limiting features like this to the larger size only. There's just no reason why they have to do that, and it cuts off a huge portion of Apple users from having the phone that they want by making it impossible to obtain (small size, great camera )

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Buying a phone mainly for a camera is silly. Nobody wants a bad camera on their phone, but 'deal-breaker' is a bit extreme — it's not like they're terrible now.
I didn't say deal-breaker. i said deal-maker. The dual camera rumors are the only thing that has me excited about upgrading later this year.
I imagine if it's so important to you, you can't have used an iPhone earlier than the 4.
You would be right. Before the iPhone 4, i never considered the camera on any phone I owned to be worth using except in an emergency.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Buying a phone mainly for a camera is silly. Nobody wants a bad camera on their phone, but 'deal-breaker' is a bit extreme — it's not like they're terrible now.

I imagine if it's so important to you, you can't have used an iPhone earlier than the 4.

Its not a deal breaker for me, but it is the reason I upgrade every year to a new iPhone. I look at photos and videos of stuff I took with older iPhones and wish I could retake them with the new phones. I know in ten years I'll look at videos taken with my iPhone 6s and be like, wish that would of had a better camera.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So... once again... stop fragmenting a line, confusing the consumer, and just make EVERY iPhone model a 'Pro' model. Consistency, standardisation, and quality. At their core, (pardon the pun), that's what Apple have done best.

Would you prefer different iterations of OS X too?

How is the consumer confused? Buying a car is much, much worse for the confusion factor.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The nasty back bump just got bigger. DISGUSTING. Jony Ive: the surface should be FLAT not with these nasty moles and warts. Let's hire another product designers may be from lamborghini or ferrari, Jony is out of control

Can't have the all-important "thinner" AND break the laws of optical physics. Thus, "wart" is required so that Apple can have it's 10 seconds to proclaim "thinnest iPhone ever... and same great battery life" line on stage. Too bad that hardly any consumers seem to be suffering the problem of "too thick" iPhones so that we can more easily rationalize putting up with the wart.

What DOES seem to be driving so many of us nuts is that pesky 3.5mm headphone jack hole and/or no adapter hanging out of the bottom of our iPhones. If the camera protrusion can be a "wart," I'm guessing the impending adapter can be an iPhone "tail" viewed just as endearingly ;)

Ahh, "the future"... don't you love it?

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Or you can simply get the model that best suits your needs.

I hope they have more than one model. I can't stand anything smaller than a 5.5 inch display. But I know some can't stand anything bigger than the SE. I want choices not everyone wants a one model fits all approach. But I do agree about fragmentation part. just make everything the same across the line except screen sizes.

I can't handle making choices... so let's eliminate everyone else's opportunity to have a choice.

I'm an American. Americans love choices. Humans love choices. If I have to choose between 3 mediocre models in 4 colors with 3 storage sizes or one really good one, I'll choose the really good one every time, even if I sacrifice my personal favorite screen size.

Besides, screen size may not matter much in a few years after the Apple Watch develops further.

One thing Jobs was great at was cutting away all of the fat and focusing all resources on what was most important - making great products that change people's daily lives.

If sacrificing those choices means I get a cutting edge and stable product again, I am all for it.

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm an American. Americans love choices. Humans love choices. If I have to choose between 3 mediocre models in 4 colors with 3 storage sizes or one really good one, I'll choose the really good one every time, even if I sacrifice my personal favorite screen size.

This is a great example except for one thing..."mediocre" and "really good" aren't always what you think they are. What's mediocre to an American like you might be really good to an American like me, and vice versa. So who decides? I'd rather get three choices and I'll decide what's best for me.

Reactions: biracialfamily91

modeyabsolom

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016
When Apple purchased LinX they bought some very sophisticated algorithms and very compact camera hardware designs (from what I understand) With all of this sophisticated camera tech at their disposable. Why do they seem to be going with such a clunky dual-lens system, that's not all that innovative, ugly looking and seems to protrude from the back of the iPhone like a sore thumb? LinX's camera arrays are tiny and should quite easily fit flush on the back of an iPhone. I was expecting to see an array of 4 or more of these lenses, running along the top rear section of the new iPhone. Not an ugly protruding pill shaped window ruining the design of yet another iPhone like those messy antenna bands currently do on the 6/6S. I really-really hope all of what we're reading about Apple's new iPhone camera is wrong, and its just an incorrect rumour.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Honestly, when was the last time anyone remembers looking at (admiring) the backside of their phone?

Yes, when we take it out of the box when we buy it, but WTF is all this bruhaha about what the back of the phone might look like? Most (careful) people put their phone in a case anyway. Very odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.