Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I really hope it has two same cameras to allow for refocusing and 3D shooting. If instead it has wide angle and telephoto lens then no, thanks...

smithy12

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
So... once again... because you have a hard time making decisions, I should be limited from being able to choose from a base model, or a "pro" model.

I don't think Apple's agenda here is to produce two iOS devices to give us the consumer a choice ...its all about maximising revenue which I don't like but others may be happy with this route Apple has gone. My gut feeling is Apple is struggling with the design aspects at the moment and just produce a bigger or in the iPad a smaller device with no real WOW factor

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
When Apple purchased LinX they bought some very sophisticated algorithms and very compact camera hardware designs (from what I understand) With all of this sophisticated camera tech at their disposable. Why do they seem to be going with such a clunky dual-lens system, that's not all that innovative, ugly looking and seems to protrude from the back of the iPhone like a sore thumb? LinX's camera arrays are tiny and should quite easily fit flush on the back of an iPhone. I was expecting to see an array of 4 or more of these lenses, running along the top rear section of the new iPhone. Not an ugly protruding pill shaped window ruining the design of yet another iPhone like those messy antenna bands currently do on the 6/6S. I really-really hope all of what we're reading about Apple's new iPhone camera is wrong, and its just an incorrect rumour.
These days Apple will source the cheapest "new" camera components that maximizes total profit, even if that means creating an ugly bump or hump on the camera's rear. Apple could very well include a LinX inspired camera module and this technology in their new iPhone, but it would cost them too much money. Supply chain slinging Tim ladies and gentlemen, maintaining profit margins at the expense of innovation. Welcome to the new Apple.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't think Apple's agenda here is to produce two iOS devices to give us the consumer a choice ...its all about maximising revenue which I don't like but others may be happy with this route Apple has gone. My gut feeling is Apple is struggling with the design aspects at the moment and just produce a bigger or in the iPad a smaller device with no real WOW factor
While Apple does things their own way(doesn't do market research from online forums), maximizing product revenue is something every company does and has to do.

pbasmadj

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
San Francisco, California
That design is truly awful. I don't think Apple would release a phone that looks that terrible, but if they do, I am SERIOUSLY reconsidering the brand as a suite choice, and I have been a fan since way, way back. Please, give us Mac laptops, it's been years, and please, don't ruin the iPhone. I don't think it will be like this but man, rumors and releases have not been promising as of late. It is a bit disconcerting. Hard to emulate Jobs, that is for sure. You don't have a person that is coming into design meetings and dropping phones into fishtanks and telling people to get the **** out. I mean, kind of joking, but honestly.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
As a photographer who shoots with my 6+ everyday, I'm stoked about the camera possibilities. Could not care less about what the back looks like - something I don't see with a case which I always use. Also, I suspect the next phone will have the much better display tech that's used in the 9.7" iPad Pro.

I'm guessing the display on the next iPhone (2017) will be even better than the 9.7" iPad Pro with an improved dual-lens camera available even on the smaller (5.0") iPhone.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think the camera on the iPhone became more than enough for post point and shooters as far back as the iPhone 4s. Anyone asking for more is looking for details the average user who shares their photos on Facebook or ruins them on Instagram with filters doesn't.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I think the camera on the iPhone became more than enough for post point and shooters as far back as the iPhone 4s. Anyone asking for more is looking for details the average user who shares their photos on Facebook or ruins them on Instagram with filters doesn't.

I agree. Still, in the right hands, the results from iPhone cams can go beyond FB or IG worthy posts. The strength and power of a photo really has little to do with the camera that captured the image.

Reactions: doelcm82

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I hope they have more than one model. I can't stand anything smaller than a 5.5 inch display. But I know some can't stand anything bigger than the SE. I want choices not everyone wants a one model fits all approach. But I do agree about fragmentation part. just make everything the same across the line except screen sizes.

Agree completely. I also can't stand anything smaller than 5.5, choices are good.
[doublepost=1463807184][/doublepost]I DON't care about the bands, I actually think the cameras on the 6 series looks better.

I hope you also think the iPhone 6 is ugly because the leak is not significantly different from that except that it has none of the "ugly antenna bands" that everyone complained about before.

Or maybe it's the pill-shaped camera lens. I don't know how Apple could possibly put out a product with a shape like that.
ipodtouch2Gscr_001-large.jpg

Do you think the following actually looks better, with the same off-aligned camera from the 6 series and another slapped on?
iphone-dual-camera.png

Please tell.
Also, you can't just say, 'Well I prefer the 5.5" and so do lots of people blah blah anecdotal evidence inserted here blah blah'. IIRC, the split was 80/20 a couple of months after the iP6 launch.

Owh come on, the iP6 is a really ugly design when compared to the Slate Grey 5. I used to take that out of its case to clean it and leave it out for a couple of days because it was so darn cute.

It was closer after the 6s and 6s plus launch, about 45 to 26. While the 6 plus is still more it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people DO want the 5.5.

http://www.cultofmac.com/400075/apples-plus-sized-iphones-are-growing-more-popular/

With those two only that would be roughly 63.4 to 36.5 so the balance is shifting.

The 6 vs 6 plus was 67 vs 23 overall and closer to the 80/20 you mentioned.

The point is that was the prior generation and things are changing.

I WILL be curious if it continues the shift with the 7.

[doublepost=1463809871][/doublepost]
I laughed.
Me too. If I am out running around I use the phone. If I know I will be taking pictures I take the dslr.

Last edited:

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
to be honest the whole dual lens camera idea sounds like a desperate attempt to pretend there is innovation..
that picture and design if real looks disgusting.if its real and Ive designed it,it means his days are over,time for retirement from design.IT'S VERY UGLY.

He should have retired when they released the iPhone 6... that thing is really friggin' ugly. The 5 and 5S though.. those are nice.

Reactions: LiveM and Huck

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Unfortunately, if you buy an 5.5" iP, you are in the minority of new model iP purchasers. Apple can't afford to shoehorn lots of flagship features into a form factor that quite a significant proportion of their customers don't want. The way I see it is that they're implementing it in the device with a smaller userbase, improving it, then releasing it on the phone people actually buy, (eg. OIS). The major reason for putting it into the + is simply utilisation of additional space (and margins, but if the MacRumours articles are anything to go by on component price, that's less of an issue).

Also, you can't just say, 'Well I prefer the 5.5" and so do lots of people blah blah anecdotal evidence inserted here blah blah'. IIRC, the split was 80/20 a couple of months after the iP6 launch.
I don't understand your use of the word "unfortunately". I bought the iPhone 6+, and being in "the minority" was not a problem for me at all.

If Apple continues to make some features available only in the 5.5" model, it will be because they absolutely CAN afford it. It won't bother me, since I prefer the 5.5" (and so do lots of people). If they make those features available in all screen sizes, it won't bother me, either. I'll still prefer the larger size. If they make the features I want available only in the smaller screen sizes, I'll have a bit of an issue with it (but I'll deal with it one way or another).

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Would you prefer different iterations of OS X too?

I would prefer a version of OS X and iOS that has almost nothing in it and you can choose to install additional "stock" apps and features before and after the installation if you like. I would even pay this price for every major update, what should be released in a 2-3 years cycle or just when it is finished.

My first Mac came with Mountain Lion, so I never paid for a new major version. But I got almost all older versions since Mac OS 9 for "free" together with older used (Power) Macs I bought about a year ago.

The hardware fragmentation is awful, even if everything is available in 20 sizes and 100 colors, the internals should be always the same, besides the batterie capacities for driving bigger screens almost the same amount of time.

At least for iDevices. (Calling the iMac just Mac is also a good idea, someone wrote that here.)

The Macs should keep to have upgrade choices for CPU, GPU, RAM and storage. Best would of course be a user upgradability, but I don't think it will ever come backe and get even worse for the last Macs where it is still partly possible.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
the iPhone 7 launch is going to be a mess... One phone clearly will have more hardware features than another, design looks to be pretty much the same, probably will still be 16gb models

Reactions: Demo Kit and Huck

Agit21

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
I wont buy an iPhone ever again. Apple seems to favor the plus model which is just way too big. Let me guess, the iPhone 7 wont feature OIS.....

And of course the fact Apple keeps putting out the 16 gb base model. Oh my

Reactions: Huck

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
CameraGATE!
Can't wait for the threads of people arguing which Sony/LG sensors are "better," and people returning their iPhones 6 times because of it.

Reactions: 5105973

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
the iPhone 7 launch is going to be a mess... One phone clearly will have more hardware features than another, design looks to be pretty much the same, probably will still be 16gb models

I think you mean the iPhone 7 launch is going to be missed. It's going to be so amazingly boring we'll finally understand why Apple banned the traditional store campout prior to the on-sale date. The new iPhone 7, now in lackluster.

Reactions: g75d3 and Huck

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Have LG ever made a good camera module themselves? If I'm not mistaken they use Sony modules for their own flagship phones.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
We know why Apple turned to LG for the dual-lens component: the recent earthquakes in the Kumamoto area on Kyushu in Japan severely cut into production of Sony's image sensors, so unless Apple is willing to wait until late January 2017 to introduce the dual-lens iPhone 7+, they have to source it from LG now as Sony recovers its production.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Ah, Macrumors, the continual and pointless rollercoaster ride of oneupmanship and snyde comments... does ANYONE have any humility or kindness left? IT'S A PHONE - not worth being nasty over. Too much pride and arrogance, too much desire to be "right" - chill out friends, it's just a phone... A PHONE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.